Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Y for our family?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
Curent situation - have a MS 100D w/Free SC.
We are looking to purchase a second Tesla and torn between Model Y and *used* HW 2.5 Model X. Our situation is as follows-
  • Both of us are tall (6'4 and 6'1)
  • Infant Baby
  • This is our city commuter parent car - since, the MS 100D has Free SC, will be driven by working parent.
  • We have 2 golden retrievers
  • We do like road trips, and will be living in Denver (from July) - with driving to see family (10hr drive) a few times a year.

Our MS has been great for space - dogs can have part seat down, or just both fit in rear and rear area has lots of room, as well as storage

Case for Model X
Falcon wing doors for getting baby in and out
Different seat configruations
Wife enjoys the IC & vertical screen as opposed to the one screen
Size

Case for Model Y
More efficiency and range w/ new warranty.
Newer tech in MY
Less issues with Falcon doors etc
Wife likes look of Model Y>X
Cheaper (LR AWD v 2017+ 75D) w/ CO $4000 state credit.

Have read articles/videos on Model X second row space and the size of rear facing car seats.

Curious on peoples thoughts?

My gut tells me that the Y will have most quality issues already worked out as it shares over 70% of it's DNA w/the Model 3 which has been reported to be greatly improved. Tesla doesn't really seem to be all that concerned with "improving" the X beyond some range and seats (which lost power headrests btw), but more so maintaining any issues that arise. Not sure if your S has the glass roof, but that may be my only concern with two dogs in Summer...

We considered waiting for the Y before ordering our X. It was tough to IMAGINE how much room the Y would have and we were already able to sit in an X. We wanted a 3rd row and 6 seat configuration. With two kids, sporting events, hauling friends, and a dog the X was right for us especially since we weren’t able to see the room the Y had.

With road trips, two goldens, and being that tall I’d say go for the X. You won’t be disappointed.
I also suggest asking them if you can take the car for an extended test drive. Our sales rep let us take it for a weekend and that pretty much sold us.

If you do not need a third row, get a Model Y.

The Model Y (5 seat) has more than double the cargo space (66 cu ft) than your Model S (28 cu ft). Should be very efficient for road trips. Newer tech. I like the seats in the Model 3 more than my Model X, but new Model X seats might be on par.

Yes, FWD are good for getting babies in/out and entering/exiting for 3rd row. Thats about it.

I'm leaning towards Y for you. Yes the X doors are nice for baby, but even putting baby in our equinox is easy because it's higher up.

From a pure value standpoint, Y is the clear winner. If money is no object, X might be nice to have, especially if it comes with free SC.

Reactions: wreighven
If you'll ever want to car camp in a Tesla, that's a big difference between the X and the Y. With a 5 or 7 seat X when you fold down the second row (and third in the 7 seater), you get 81+ inches by 39+ inches of room for a twin bed. My boys are of the age where we do a lot of camping (currently with tents), and I am looking forward to the fights on who will be sharing the X "tent" with me LOL.

My wife has an X (and I have a 3); but when the Y was announced, my plan was to trade her X in for a Y. I am all about cheaper, smaller, more efficient. Those are indeed notable advantages to the Y, and if money is an issue (although the price difference is less for OP who is considering a used X), the Y will no doubt suffice for most.

However, after thinking about it more, the current plan is to keep our X. Of course we still don't know everything about the Y so this thinking could change, but here is a list of things we would be giving up by trading the X for a Y:
  • Free supercharging (not a big deal to OP, who has that on another car)
  • My wife finds the X seats FAR more comfortable than the 3 seats. (Although the Y seats are likely to be the 3 seats, they may be positioned higher, so this might not be as big of a deal)
  • Biohazard filter. We don't use it a lot, but when we do (like a road trip during fire season) it is REALLY nice
  • Easier ingress/egress in the rear with the falcon doors. I never wanted them, but I have to admit they are really handy and have always worked great for us
  • Adjustable suspension. My wife likes to hike, and the X is our snow car, so it gets a fair amount of use
  • Being wider means when my wife puts her bike in the back (almost daily) it goes in very easily. Note that her bike does NOT fit in my 3 without using tools to take off parts. I am sure her bike will fit in the Y, but from pictures I've seen it probably will take some fussing - and she has a bad back, so it's hard for her to lean in the car and move a bike around
  • Being wider means that the 5th passenger has more room. Not a big deal for us as we rarely have a 5th
  • My wife wants to pull a trailer, and the X likely (though we don't know yet) can tow more
  • The Y is likely to sell like hotcakes. That's great by me as I like to blend in; but my wife appreciates not seeing a million carbon copies on the road
  • We prefer the controls for autopilot on the X over the ones in the 3
  • This probably won't apply to most, but we already has an extended warranty for the X, whereas I don't think you can get one for the Y
  • Having the second screen is really nice for us too. More info on display at once means less fussing with the screen to get more info
  • Although we obviously haven't driven the Y yet, based on the 3 vs X I assume the X's ride will be notably smoother and quieter
  • For those that use the 3rd row (we don't), the X's 3rd row looks to be much larger than the Y's
  • Some X (not ours) have auto-open front doors that some people swear by. Ours do have auto-close, and while generally minor it can be a real boon when loading elderly parents in bad weather.
We tried a road trip in our 3, and while I was fine with it, my wife didn't like it. We both agree, however, that the X is the nicest road trip vehicle we've ever had.

HERE is a thread I started to explain more details about the driving and ownership differences between the different Teslas.

Last edited:
IMO the falcon doors are actually way less convenient than normal doors. You often need to wait 10-15 seconds for them to open, and they don't always open fully even when it's clear. They end up being a pain more than they end up being convenient in my experience.

If I were you I'd definitely go with the Y. It has longer range, better tech, and is cheaper. Unless you really need the slightly more capacity in the X it's a no brainer.

Reactions: arghx7
The cost difference in terms of ownership is going to be a lot lower for a Model Y. You can expect a Y to hold its value for longer (new in demand model that's probably production limited). The energy efficiency is much better, the battery tech is likely better (less chance of supercharging getting throttled), and the supercharging is likely faster--at least until Plaid Model X comes out. Higher efficiency also means faster AC charging as 30 or 48 amp level 2 charging gets you a lot more miles per hour charged.

XvsY.png

Reactions: VikH

The Model Y (5 seat) has more than double the cargo space (66 cu ft) than your Model S (28 cu ft). Should be very efficient for road trips. Newer tech. I like the seats in the Model 3 more than my Model X, but new Model X seats might be on par.

Yes, FWD are good for getting babies in/out and entering/exiting for 3rd row. Thats about it.

That 66 cu ft of cargo space is with the seats folded so not comparable to the S @ 28 cu ft. Apples to apples capacity is very similar (S is wider/longer; Y is taller).

I'm leaning towards Y for you. Yes the X doors are nice for baby, but even putting baby in our equinox is easy because it's higher up.

From a pure value standpoint, Y is the clear winner. If money is no object, X might be nice to have, especially if it comes with free SC.
Thanks - I am feeling the same, since the only reason is the Falcon Wing Doors, but not sure if its completely worth it. My head says yes, but my gut says no.

I also see value in this - the FWD are great, but more reasons show the Y - would it be different if we have a second child - would having the X allow us to have that passenger in the middle?

I have 4 kids: the value of the Falcon Doors for making your life livable with a newborn cannot be overstated!
Yep - how much weight should we put into this, is the variable we are uncertain about.

IMO the falcon doors are actually way less convenient than normal doors. You often need to wait 10-15 seconds for them to open, and they don't always open fully even when it's clear. They end up being a pain more than they end up being convenient in my experience.

If I were you I'd definitely go with the Y. It has longer range, better tech, and is cheaper. Unless you really need the slightly more capacity in the X it's a no brainer.
I see value in your post, and ask you; If we had a second child (in 2 years, 2 under 3yrs) would it make you lean towards the X, or keep the value in the Y.

When are you planning to purchase? If Y deliveries do begin to non-Tesla/SpaceX employees in the next month, I'm guessing 6 months until a fair amount of reservation holders are delivered? Compared with getting an X tomorrow.

FWD - had an X (6 seat) when kids ranged between 18 mo and 6 yr. Getting a bucket seat in and out won't have much difference, but the room to buckle front facing and booster seats as necessary was greatly appreciated.

Third row - do you have family/guests that may visit? We used third row for 2 parents front + 2 kids mid + 2 grandparents rear multiple times. I would not trust the 7-seat Y for adults in the rear (until I see it, I guess).

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I see value in your post, and ask you; If we had a second child (in 2 years, 2 under 3yrs) would it make you lean towards the X, or keep the value in the Y.

Unless you have mobility issues or really struggle with child seats in your current car, I would not value the falcon doors worth much at all. The amount of times I've had them not open more than halfway, or had to worry about them hitting something (ceiling, passing traffic, etc.), far outweighs the marginal value from having more space when they're open. Granted I live in a big city where things are tighter and I often park in garages or on the street. If you're in a rural area with tons of space your experience might be different.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pismo
When are you planning to purchase? If Y deliveries do begin to non-Tesla/SpaceX employees in the next month, I'm guessing 6 months until a fair amount of reservation holders are delivered? Compared with getting an X tomorrow.

FWD - had an X (6 seat) when kids ranged between 18 mo and 6 yr. Getting a bucket seat in and out won't have much difference, but the room to buckle front facing and booster seats as necessary was greatly appreciated.

Third row - do you have family/guests that may visit? We used third row for 2 parents front + 2 kids mid + 2 grandparents rear multiple times. I would not trust the 7-seat Y for adults in the rear (until I see it, I guess).

Looking ahead, it will be the fall. We have a reservation, but now have had some second thoughts. Will take time to go into a Tesla store with our baby seat and see how it fits and the configurations go.

Also assume that we will have rear facing for a little bit, which, when changed to traditional, shouldnt take as much space as before.

In regards to travel, I can envision in the next two years, it would be
  • 1 or 2 others with a infant/toddler seat, and
  • 1n 2+ years, it would be a second seat, though the infant would turn toddler + infant + 1 or 2 adults.

The cost difference in terms of ownership is going to be a lot lower for a Model Y. You can expect a Y to hold its value for longer (new in demand model that's probably production limited). The energy efficiency is much better, the battery tech is likely better (less chance of supercharging getting throttled), and the supercharging is likely faster--at least until Plaid Model X comes out. Higher efficiency also means faster AC charging as 30 or 48 amp level 2 charging gets you a lot more miles per hour charged.

We were thinking that MX may drop in price a bit when MY is released? Currently a used 2017 75D, Im thinking about $55-60k, would it drop a little?