Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Order/Delivery Tracking - Google Sheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was talking vs the Model X LR. Plaids should be a priority in the mix of X's made.
I disagree because a lot of the LR orders are for the tax rebate which may be reduced by the end of the year. There are some of these people who will cancel their order if they are not able to get the full rebate and then would be lost sales. I am counting on mine to arrive before the end of the year due to business tax depreciation purposes and replacement vehicle needs so if it looks like mine is not coming by the end of the year I am going to look at other manufacturers that have vehicles that can provide me the same features to cover my business needs and deliver by the end of the year. I really don't want to do that but I have hard deadlines.

I disagree because a lot of the LR orders are for the tax rebate which may be reduced by the end of the year. There are some of these people who will cancel their order if they are not able to get the full rebate and then would be lost sales. I am counting on mine to arrive before the end of the year due to business tax depreciation purposes and replacement vehicle needs so if it looks like mine is not coming by the end of the year I am going to look at other manufacturers that have vehicles that can provide me the same features to cover my business needs and deliver by the end of the year. I really don't want to do that but I have hard deadlines.
Given Tesla's history, the chance of a price reduction in the same amount as a reduction of any tax credits is extremely likely. Almost guaranteed. Might be even better to wait as a price reduction is better than a tax credit, and see how it plays out because FUSC is apparently still valid even after the new year if your delivery is delayed into 2024.

I suspect there are also those who ordered the Plaid, who need it this year for business tax reasons - with hard deadlines. If Tesla can only make one more car this year and they have 2 orders -LR and P and they will lose the other sale - which car should they make?

I suspect there are also those who ordered the Plaid, who need it this year for business tax reasons - with hard deadlines. If Tesla can only make one more car this year and they have 2 orders -LR and P and they will lose the other sale - which car should they make?
Whichever the line is tooled for and the parts are prepped for at that time. For them to retool and stage parts to switch from one trim of product to another would probably cost them way more in opportunity cost/time and labor than the gain or loss of the profit difference between the LR and the P.

Whichever the line is tooled for and the parts are prepped for at that time. For them to retool and stage parts to switch from one trim of product to another would probably cost them way more in opportunity cost/time and labor than the gain or loss of the profit difference between the LR and the P.
Okay. So the only real substantive difference is the rear drivetrain which I suspect are preassembled. I doubt the "line" has to be retooled. So adding to my question, assume they have all the parts for either configuration, which one should Tesla build?

Okay. So the only real substantive difference is the rear drivetrain which I suspect are preassembled. I doubt the "line" has to be retooled. So adding to my question, assume they have all the parts for either configuration, which one should Tesla build?
Well that adds in additional details such as are these preassembled drivetrains staged in different areas? Do they have that one last one already pre-staged? Does the Robot have to insert/attach/connect the drive train any differently and need to have the setting changed (part of retooling)? Since the P cars only come in 6 seat configuration, do they have the 6 seat units staged or are the three seat second row staged at the line? Then you can get into the brakes. Which brake configuration is ready and staged? I am not sure if there are different trim pieces between the LR and P but if there is then which pieces are ready and staged? There is a lot more than just a preassembled rear drivetrain that has to be taken into the equation.