Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P100D cost per mile in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in the UK with a model X P100D charging at home done the maths as to what real world use is costing per mile?

Obviously if I drive like a granny I'll get the full range but noone buys a plood to drive like that. I'm no boy racer but occasionally will put my foot down.

Which is why I'm interested in real world costs. Any ideas?

i dont own one but my guess would be 400-450wh/mile driven with a bit of enthusiasm, proably a third less if driven like a granny (are we allowed to say that in this PC world?) Add a bit for charging loss and you are roughly 2 miles per KWH.
Electric is roughly 14p unit day/8p a unit(kwh) night depending on your tariff and to some degree area you live.
So if you are on a dual rate tariff and charge overnight it is about 4p per mile. £4 for every £100 miles!

• Helpful
Reactions: sk19
i dont own one but my guess would be 400-450wh/mile driven with a bit of enthusiasm,

IME of driving an MX 75D for 18 months and 23k miles, I'm averaging around 450 Wh/mile overall. Mainly short fast blasts though, so probably worst case for consumption. An MX P100D would be a little worse off with the extra weight and power, but it's not as dramatic as when comparing ICE cars of different power levels.

• Helpful
Thanks guys, so I'm hearing 2-5p per mile btu this depends on being on a cheaper night time plan.

I'm just on a normal 15p/kwh thing (I really need to look for a better deal). If I go for a cheaper night plan then I imagine I'll be paying more for electricity in the day so would have to do the maths to see if it is worth it.

I'm just on a normal 15p/kwh thing (I really need to look for a better deal). If I go for a cheaper night plan then I imagine I'll be paying more for electricity in the day so would have to do the maths to see if it is worth it.

If you are currently on 15 p/kWh flat rate, then you could probably even achieve a slight saving on your day rate by shopping around and the night rate will definitely be a lot lower. You will need an E7/smart meter fitted though to qualify - which shouldn't be a big hassle.

• Helpful
Have a look at Bulb (I have a £50 off code if you want it PM me) and Octopus

Thanks will do. The trouble is I've just had my house extended so have no idea what my current usage is, as there's been no gas for a year and loads of power tools being used all day long. Normally you go on these sites and they ask your usage and work out the best for you. But yeah maybe I'll go onto uswitch and sort it out.

If you are currently on 15 p/kWh flat rate, then you could probably even achieve a slight saving on your day rate by shopping around and the night rate will definitely be a lot lower. You will need an E7/smart meter fitted though to qualify - which shouldn't be a big hassle.

Ok thanks mate yeah I'll look around. Is it just a case of them coming in and switching your meter?

Just watch out for the increased standing charge on the Octopus tarrif vs their other ones.

I've been with Octopus for 3 years or so, and, like others, their standing daily charge changes between tarrifs. We are currently on 16.something pence per day (+5% vat) for both elec and gas, but I've seen it pushing nearly 30p day on some tarrifs. Octopus Go is currently 25p/day (inc VAT) but about the same peak rate as I am currently on, but with a smart meter, who knows how much that will be in the future when you are cooking evening meal... suggest people read up about demand side response and what the future of smart energy pricing may bring - its not a bad thing so long as you know the consequences, which is something that is being well and truly hidden from people by the smart meter marketing campaigns - one has to wonder why its not being openly talked about...

I've not done the man maths yet and wont until I've seen some usage patterns when we get the car. But roughly 4 hours @5p * 7kWh + 25p = £1.65 but without changing, its 4 hours @15p * 7kWh + 16p = £4.36 which on paper looks to be no contest, but only if charge 7kWh every day, which we won't. Say 4 * 7kWh (28kWh) gets us 110 miles (as I say, man maths), thats a weeks commuting for us, so we are going to charge say once a week for 4 hours at 5p/hr. So as you start spreading charging to a weekly charge, the maths become 4 hours @ 5p * 7kWh + (25 * 7) = £3.15 vs 4 hours * 7kWh @ 15p + (16 * 7) = 5.32 a difference of £2.17 per week. Yes, it is cheaper, but I'm not sure for less than the price of a weekly coffee, I'm in too much of a rush to change to smart metering without seeing real numbers and options - which as a solar micro generator, I have lots of numbers going back many years. ymmv.

• Helpful
Reactions: sk19 and GraemeS
Just watch out for the increased standing charge on the Octopus tarrif vs their other ones.

I've been with Octopus for 3 years or so, and, like others, their standing daily charge changes between tarrifs. We are currently on 16.something pence per day (+5% vat) for both elec and gas, but I've seen it pushing nearly 30p day on some tarrifs. Octopus Go is currently 25p/day (inc VAT) but about the same peak rate as I am currently on, but with a smart meter, who knows how much that will be in the future when you are cooking evening meal... suggest people read up about demand side response and what the future of smart energy pricing may bring - its not a bad thing so long as you know the consequences, which is something that is being well and truly hidden from people by the smart meter marketing campaigns - one has to wonder why its not being openly talked about...

I've not done the man maths yet and wont until I've seen some usage patterns when we get the car. But roughly 4 hours @5p * 7kWh + 25p = £1.65 but without changing, its 4 hours @15p * 7kWh + 16p = £4.36 which on paper looks to be no contest, but only if charge 7kWh every day, which we won't. Say 4 * 7kWh (28kWh) gets us 110 miles (as I say, man maths), thats a weeks commuting for us, so we are going to charge say once a week for 4 hours at 5p/hr. So as you start spreading charging to a weekly charge, the maths become 4 hours @ 5p * 7kWh + (25 * 7) = £3.15 vs 4 hours * 7kWh @ 15p + (16 * 7) = 5.32 a difference of £2.17 per week. Yes, it is cheaper, but I'm not sure for less than the price of a weekly coffee, I'm in too much of a rush to change to smart metering without seeing real numbers and options - which as a solar micro generator, I have lots of numbers going back many years. ymmv.

If I've read this correctly, your EV usage is very low, so I'm not surprised your savings are potentially insignificant. I'm currently doing around 15k miles per annum and 4 hours charging is pretty much guaranteed every night and I would often need to go outside that window too. I worked out I could stand to save well over £500 a year on the Octopus Go tariff vs my current flat rate. But to make that full saving I would lose the flexibility of being able to charge whenever I like during the day, which is often very handy.

BTW, just to avoid confusion you are charging at a rate of 7 kW not 7 kWh, the latter being the resultant capacity added per hour of charge. Not that it affects your result.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
BTW, just to avoid confusion you are charging at a rate of 7 kW not 7 kWh, the latter being the resultant capacity added per hour of charge. Not that it affects your result.

I know the difference between kW and kWh. I used the term kWh as that is the amount of energy being purchased, ie 4 hours * 7kWh = 28kWh rather than 4 hours @ 7kW = 28kWh which has a hidden power to energy conversion in it. As you say, its the same answer, I think mine is simpler as it avoids mixing kW and kWh in the same calculation, especially when we are talking about energy consumption.

Reactions: Roy W.
We’ve been on Economy 7 for about four years, installed when we got our first EV, a Leaf 24.

With the EV charging my mix of peak/off-peak units is about 30%/70%, so for us it has definitely been worthwhile. The meter swap was no hassle, about an hour’s job, but check with your new supplier before committing, ymmv. I’m currently with OVO, paying ~15p peak and ~9p off-peak.

I’ve looked closely at Octopus GO, but I don’t think the 4 hour off-peak window is long enough for me. I usually charge to 80%, but to 100% for any road trip, and the car is often charging for the full 7 hours at 7kW to get there.

• Helpful
@Roy W.
You have highlighted what my feeling is on this. We have low distance regular commute, around 20 miles per day which is about the UK average. In which case, 4 hours per night is far more than is needed, so hence, probably topup once per week. But for longer trips, 4 hours is nowhere near enough, and for many, I suspect that we will be reliant on SC or destination charging.

We do approx. 12k/year. Roughly half of that is commute, the other half is weekend 50 mile family trips, weeks to coast holiday appt (with no charging to are reliant on a particular SC or 3) and ad/hoc. Plus for half the year, we have solar that will probably cover a good proportion of our commute usage. The more you look at the numbers, the more complex it gets. And everyone will be different. Even though I am with Octopus, I'm still not convinced of Go. I suspect I will end up changing, but it won't be before I have taken as many things into consideration as I can. Certainly not blindly jumping based simply upon a 5p/15p tarrif. If I had done that, I would have a Powerwall... yet another thing to add back into the equation - which may mitigate the 30p/kWh unit charge that we may start seeing when many UK consumers probably want it most - early evening tea on a cold dark evening :)

• Helpful
Reactions: sk19 and Roy W.
If I go for a cheaper night plan then I imagine I'll be paying more for electricity in the day so would have to do the maths to see if it is worth it.

Yes ... but you might find an alternative supplier offering twin-rates with Peak rate (day time) no more expensive than your current provider, and off-peak, over night, somewhere close to 50% discount for a 7-hour window, and better than 50% discount for only a 4-hour window.

Octopus have a significantly higher rate during "evening", when you will be cooking your meal. But their overnight rate is dirt-cheap ... and maybe you cook on gas?

If you do a decent number of miles the car will take far more juice than your house (broad brush assumptions of course - if you have half a dozen teenage kids and they all have their own power showers then "maybe not in your case" !!) so highly likely that 50% discount at night and slightly-higher-day-rate will still work out much cheaper.

My consumption (Model-S Performance) averages 400Wh/mile in February and 350Wh/mile in summer. A significant portion of that is commuting to work where the car is on dual carriageway and limited by traffic and roadworks. So only quite a small percentage is thrashing it, but if that fits your profile then "3 miles per kWh" won't be far off. If all your miles will be "drive like you stole it" then you'll be nearer to "2 miles per kWh" and if you get the more efficient Model-3 you may be closer to "4 miles per kWh".

When NOT driven hard the Performance model will use pretty much the same juice as the Standard model - unlike an ICE that comes in V12 vs. V6 variants where the V12 ill be thirsty just sat at the lights (when an electric will be using no juice at all :) )

Either way, Fuel Cost will be 75% less than Petrol, so the saving is so huge that being frugal doesn't really save much more.

Simple very-broad-brush rule of thumb: Your fuel saving will be £100 per month for every 10,000 miles you drive p.a.

If you can charge at work then there is no BiK tax on that. If you can't then please give your boss a hard time :) If you are the boss then JFDI - government will give you 50% of the cost of fitting charger(s) in your car park :)

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Thanks guys, so I'm hearing 2-5p per mile btu this depends on being on a cheaper night time plan.

If you look at a supplier like Bulb their E7 day time rate is only 1p more expensive than their normal day time rate, but night rate is half the cost.

If you also than set things like dishwasher/washing machine to use over night your find your overall bill is alot less on E7.

I just had our 12 months bill from Bulb since going on to E7, as you can see our E7 versus normal electric usage is 4:1.

You can also see despite Bulb having 12 months worth of reading they still consistently way over estimate our day time usage versus E7 rate.

You have to do your own maths, but we did 14k in the X in that 12 months period, even including standing charge, charger efficiency loss AND ALL HOME electricity use fuel for the car is 7p per mile, which really is pretty good going :).

48138849482_c73b7010ad_h.jpg

• Helpful