Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P100D - Just finished Miami->Minneapolis - A few notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished driving a new (inventory) P100D from Miami to Minneapolis and wanted to post a few notes about the trip while they're fresh in my mind. I spent most of the trip on 17.24.30 and laid down at least 1,600 miles using Autopilot. I'm coming from a Model S 85D and a few of these are probably standard HW1->HW2 known issues.

- For the most part, Autopilot worked great. It stayed fairly well centered with very little ping ponging between the lines. Commonly trucking along at 80mph and it did fine. The only time it consistently struggled was in heavy stop and go traffic, where it would wandering through the lane way too much.

- The displayed speed limits were wrong on many occasions. Most often, I was on a stretch of road with a 70 mph limit and the screen was only displaying 65 mph. I assumed this was due to outdated map data, but even on a highway close to home with a 55mph limit, it displayed 45mph (even though it's been 55mph for at least the past two years). No problem other than the speed chime (I set mine to +10mph), but it was really clear that the cameras weren't reading the speed signs at all.

- The lane changing is super aggressive. Sounds like previous versions were too slow, but man, after changing lanes several hundred times over the past week, you really don't get used to how strongly it yanks you into the next lane. They definitely need to tweak the curve to smooth it out a bit. I had maybe 4 or 5 times where it just got the lane change wrong and it got stuck between lanes.

- I hit a few cases where Autopilot couldn't be engaged for several minutes due to it not fully recognizing lane markers. It almost seemed like some component of Autopilot crashed/errored and took several minutes to reinitialize. It happened maybe 3 times and lasted for about 8-10 minutes, pretty sure it happened after I had manually disengaged Autopilot. The bold white lane lines disappeared and even under super ideal conditions with very clean lane markings, the outer white lines on the display wouldn't appear. The darker lines seemed to match up properly, displaying bends and my lane positioning properly, and other cars showed up on the display. Eventually the white lines would suddenly pop back on and AP was good to go again. Very odd and very much looked like the "lane" component of AP just glitched out for several minutes.

- I hit quite a few cases, at least 30+ where AP hit the brakes a bit when a new car came into view, even if it was much further down the road and traveling at the same relative speed. Usually happened during a lane change. It never slowed the car by more than 4-5mph, but it was very unexpected and unnatural braking and if anyone was riding my bumper then it could've been an issue. I had one case towards the end of the trip where a low overpass caused it to brake.

- The amount of torque required on the steering wheel to keep AP active is much higher than it ever was in my 85d. Sometimes I had to give the wheel a good wiggle in order to let it know that my hands were in fact on the wheel. On my 85d, it seemed like the slightest bit of motion did the trick and even then, the warning message rarely came up. In the Model X P100d, I had to give it a fairly significant input and must have seen the warning message at least 300-400 times over the trip, even though my hands were constantly on the wheel.

- One of my top requests for HW1 which still stands for HW2 and became very apparent with all of the driving, I wish AP had an option to avoid riding in another car's blind spot. HW2 should definitely be capable of this so hopefully it shows up at some point. I know a lot of people have asked for better decision-making around lane positioning when passing vehicles, in general it seems like there is a lot of room to improve the "defensive driving" capabilities. In Miami in particular, no joking that well over half of the other drivers we passed on the freeway were texting or just distracted by their phones and literally not looking at the road...it was surprising at first but really disgusting after about 30 minutes seeing the vast majority of drivers weaving and drifting out of their lanes with a phone up to their face. Total epidemic, and it reminded me why I bought the safest vehicle possible.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more things, but this covers the main things I noticed. Overall, it was pretty smooth and a really enjoyable ride. Even with the issues mentioned, I feel like AP was really indispensable and for the few times that I disabled it due to poor roads or poor conditions, I was always quick to re-engage it on the asap.

Your comments on the auto steer is spot on. I find my 2017 X is a PITA to use. My AP1 car is much nicer on road trips. Tesla needs to fix this extreme steering wheel sensitivity to something more like the old AP1 system.

Hopefully the sensitivity threshold for the steering wheel detection is a software thing and not a hardware thing, seems like it would be. I found myself having to clock the wheel hard enough to cause the vehicle to move within the lane just to let it know that my hands were on the wheel. Seems completely counter to the point of auto steer if you need to repeatedly apply an input so strong that the system has to course correct against it. I'd be interested in hearing whether this is a 2017 X thing, a HW2 thing, or a firmware thing. Really big difference from my 2015 Model S AP1.0....I noticed it within the first couple of minutes of using AP2.0 and it's not just a matter of feeling "different", the current implementation feels wrong.

I agree with the lane changing- it's super jerky and accelerates a lot quicker to change lane. I would prefer to do a steady speed and smooth change of lane. The jerkiness makes me think I am trying to pass up a slower vehicle when the lane I'm changing into is completely empty.

also second the autosteer- it needs to avoid blind spots.

that being said- autopilot 2.0 is going really well. I can tell that it's making strides in some stuff like not freaking out when a car changes into your lane or when lines in lane are faded or missing. it's also taking curves much better.

i did the same trip dania beach to msp with a x 75d. 1000 miles showroom. ive never got it to turn a corner loks like it will pass the exit. pulls hard to right often when a car right there. cruise control comes on randomly. that could men im hitting somethin. ania beach owner orientation underwhelming. perpendicular parking like a 5 year old coloring, outside the lines

i really wanted to love this car but am having a hard time.

Our's had 2200mi showroom, picked up in Dania Beach. Our delivery experience was great, but also pretty straightforward because we had 2 yrs prior experience with the S, a bit of experience with the X, and really didn't need to do much more than sign the papers. I had a few obscure questions about functionality, which they answered no problem, but I can't really speak for a full car walk through because it wasn't required.

I haven't used the perpendicular parking in AP2 and certainly haven't seen cruise turning on randomly. Took plenty of long twisting curves with auto steer on and it handled them really well about 95% of the time.

I'm of two minds with AP2. On one hand, it's incredibly impressive that they seemingly had to hit the reset button in December. It's hard to say what APIs and functionality they had as a starting point (assuming anything radar/sonar related was Tesla code) and what they had to write from scratch (assuming anything Mobileye/camera related was a do over)....so it's impressive that they've done a pretty big amount of work in a short amount of time.

On the other hand, when you see a lot of the wacky stuff that AP2 currently struggles with and some basic functionality that isn't there (reading speed signs), it really makes it seem like they have an incredibly long way to go. Perhaps in going for parity, they've had to use the most basic capabilities of the hardware....for example, it doesn't seem like lane centering is currently using all of the cameras on the car to read the lane lines, maybe just one of the forward looking cameras. I'd expect that all of that stuff will get better over time as they turn their attention away from achieving parity and more towards fully utilizing the hardware.

The self-driving video they released back in December was insanely impressive and was clearly tapping into a ton of APIs that our HW2 vehicles currently aren't. It seems like even half of those capabilities would massively enhance the reliability of the current implementation.