Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bmah @JER85 how does your FWDs look from the top rubber seals? please refer to my post above - want your opinions since you guys just got these cars too thanks!

Better late than never department (sorry I was actually out of town and away from my car). TLDR: I don't see any particular issues with the FWD seals.

Left side front looking left to right:

IMG_8588.JPG

Left side rear looking left to right:

IMG_8589.JPG

Left side looking front to rear:

IMG_8590.JPG

Right side front looking right to left:

IMG_8591.JPG

Right side rear looking right to left:

IMG_8592.JPG

Right side looking front to rear:

IMG_8593.JPG

Centerline looking rear to front:

IMG_8594.JPG

Centerline looking front to rear:

IMG_8595.JPG

Bruce.

I updated to 2022.12.1 this morning. I have done 4 short drives since then (running errands) and I have not seen the rear restraint error or airbag error I experienced after updating to 2022.8.3. Hopefully it is fixed. I did still get a blinker fault error at one point.

Updated also to 2022.12.1 last night and got the RRRE this AM on second drive. First drive was over 30 min.

Just got the rear right safety restraint system fault on 2022.8.3. After reading through some of the replies above I’ll assume it’s just software.

I also experience freezing cameras, Traction control warning, parking brake warning, and autopilot warning periodically.

While supercharging the car freaks out, freezes, flashes from no temp “- -“ to “69” (or whatever the temp is outside). Screen freezes, needs reboot.

I also get the “Dashcam drive is too small” actively.

Just got the rear right safety restraint system fault on 2022.8.3. After reading through some of the replies above I’ll assume it’s just software.

I also experience freezing cameras, Traction control warning, parking brake warning, and autopilot warning periodically.

While supercharging the car freaks out, freezes, flashes from no temp “- -“ to “69” (or whatever the temp is outside). Screen freezes, needs reboot.

I also get the “Dashcam drive is too small” actively.
Update: no longer getting rear right safety restraint warning.
100 miles into a 800 mile return trip and still having intermittent camera issues. Supercharging still freaks the car out and freezes the screen then reboots.

100 miles into a 800 mile return trip and still having intermittent camera issues. Supercharging still freaks the car out and freezes the screen then reboots.
Sorry to hear!

Does it matter how long you are superchargering? I'm about to go on a 400 mile road trip in May so wondering if I should supercharge this week for 5-10 mins and see if my X would freak out but wasn't sure if 5-10 mins of superchargering is long enough?

I have had same issues.

Installed 2022.12.1 last night. Supercharging today (2 sessions) was good with no issues. Keep in mind this is just 1 day of testing. Also no rear restraint errors.

Still get serious issues when bringing up backup cam. Only happens after driving for a few hours. A hard reboot is required to clear.

Reactions: bkokes
I posted the info below in the “Waiting Room” thread…….

Just got back to Atlanta from Miramar Beach.

Installed 2022.12.1 last night.

I had the same issues with backup camera hosing the system. It only happens after driving for an hour or more. First backup in the morning is fine. It was somewhat comical watching us find a parking space that we could get out of without backing out. It literally screwed up the car every time in reverse.

On a positive note (after just 1 day of driving on 2022.12.1), I didn’t have any rear restraint errors. I also supercharged twice without any incidents. This was refreshing. Again though, this is just 1 day and 2 supercharging tests.

Drove with AP most of the day. No issues at all with car, unless I pull up backup cam.

I have mobile service coming Thursday. So we’ll see what they say. I have logged at least a dozen Debug Reports while on the road since Wed. I hope they find them useful. I also updated my service ticket with this type of info. Hoping they don’t cancel my appointment last minute.

Having said all of the above, I really love the car. It was a great road trip car for wife/me/dog.

Hoping all of this can be solved with software, but I am skeptical.

Whole new issue with the Homelink started yesterday.
It simply stopped responding.
Had to use an artifact from yesteryear.....a garage door opener.
They think it's a hardware problem.
Luckily it healed itself and started working 12 hours later. Took the folding mirrors another few hours to come back.
Keeping the mobile appointment just in case.

After I updated to 2022.8.3 Monday night I started getting the Rear Restraint System Fault for the rear left and right. I scheduled a service appointment, although I am sure it will be resolved through another update. Yesterday the red airbag light illuminated on my dash. It's on again today. I added that to the service appointment. Again, I'm sure it's a software issue, but it's a little unnerving to drive around with these warnings.
I have the exact same issue and it’s persisted into 2022.12.1 which I got last night. Does not occur with every drive. I get both right and left seats fault errors and the airbag light. Service center diagnosed it as a bad body control unit and ordered a replacement.

Sorry to hear!

Does it matter how long you are superchargering? I'm about to go on a 400 mile road trip in May so wondering if I should supercharge this week for 5-10 mins and see if my X would freak out but wasn't sure if 5-10 mins of superchargering is long enough?
Hopefully by May these issues will be taken care of. If not, I found a way to avoid most issues between each supercharger. I don’t pull up the camera, but still use the blind spot cameras when signaling. It seems the main camera is the culprit.

When pulling into the supercharger everything is fine until I throw the car into reverse, then the car takes a sh*t 😂. Cameras freeze, parking brake, autopilot, traction control, and park assist errors all start flashing.

I have to use my mirrors like the olden days but besides that the parking sensors still work so nbd. Then the car will charge just fine, ignore if the instrument display shows it stops charging, that’s just a glitch. Once it’s plugged in you can hard reboot the car with the brake and scroll wheel buttons, supercharge, and be on your way with no issues.

It’s an annoying issue but compared to a previous issue I had with my Plaid S that tesla bought back, these are minor. If I was a first time tesla owner with these issues, the car would be going to a dealership. Fortunately I trust that these issues will be ironed out soon, maybe a little tweet to Elon might speed the process up.

Hopefully by May these issues will be taken care of. If not, I found a way to avoid most issues between each supercharger. I don’t pull up the camera, but still use the blind spot cameras when signaling. It seems the main camera is the culprit.

When pulling into the supercharger everything is fine until I throw the car into reverse, then the car takes a sh*t 😂. Cameras freeze, parking brake, autopilot, traction control, and park assist errors all start flashing.

I have to use my mirrors like the olden days but besides that the parking sensors still work so nbd. Then the car will charge just fine, ignore if the instrument display shows it stops charging, that’s just a glitch. Once it’s plugged in you can hard reboot the car with the brake and scroll wheel buttons, supercharge, and be on your way with no issues.

It’s an annoying issue but compared to a previous issue I had with my Plaid S that tesla bought back, these are minor. If I was a first time tesla owner with these issues, the car would be going to a dealership. Fortunately I trust that these issues will be ironed out soon, maybe a little tweet to Elon might speed the process up.

If you tweet, be sure to link it here and any other relevant threads so we can retweet it.

Reactions: gglockner
Requesting a sanity check:

Palladium LR X running 2021.43.202 (factory software load). Everything's basically working software-wise, including Supercharging, backup camera, etc. The car has a software update to 2022.8.3 staged, but I haven't installed it yet due to bug reports that have been associated with 2022.8.2 and 2022.8.3. The car has a service appointment scheduled for this Friday to look at a climate system failure (discussed in various threads, including probably this one), possible FWD alignment, rattle in drivers side door, a few fit and finish issues.

Should I just punch the button and install 2022.8.3, knowing that the service center will probably do this anyways a part of the service procedure? So if the update causes the issues noted upthread to appear, I can note that in the service request before Friday. Or should I just enjoy the rest of the week with (EDIT: almost) all systems operational and let the service center roll the dice for me when I take the car in?

Thanks for any opinions.

Bruce.

Last edited:
Requesting a sanity check:

Palladium LR X running 2021.43.202 (factory software load). Everything's basically working software-wise, including Supercharging, backup camera, etc. The car has a software update to 2022.8.3 staged, but I haven't installed it yet due to bug reports that have been associated with 2022.8.2 and 2022.8.3. The car has a service appointment scheduled for this Friday to look at a climate system failure (discussed in various threads, including probably this one), possible FWD alignment, rattle in drivers side door, a few fit and finish issues.

Should I just punch the button and install 2022.8.3, knowing that the service center will probably do this anyways a part of the service procedure? So if the update causes the issues noted upthread to appear, I can note that in the service request before Friday. Or should I just enjoy the rest of the week with all systems operational and let the service center roll the dice for me when I take the car in?

Thanks for any opinions.

Bruce.

I was in the same boat, my car had 2021.43.202 (factory loaded) I was not experiencing any of the issues other folks were having (restraint error message, freaking out at supercharger, etc...) the only issue I did have was the charge port not opening with the charger button (no big deal)

Anyway I was then faced with the same dilema when 2022.8.3 popped up for me. After much deliberation with myself lol... I decided to pull the trigger and update... and happy to report that so far so good, none of those issues have popped up, and my charge port door issue was fixed.... I took a 200 mile trip and supercharged at a 250kw charger for about 20 minutes.. no issues

YMMV but it appears to me that if your car doesn't have the issues in the first place, the software update will not introduce them. Again that is based on my personal experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zygote1975 and bmah
I was in the same boat, my car had 2021.43.202 (factory loaded) I was not experiencing any of the issues other folks were having (restraint error message, freaking out at supercharger, etc...) the only issue I did have was the charge port not opening with the charger button (no big deal)

Anyway I was then faced with the same dilema when 2022.8.3 popped up for me. After much deliberation with myself lol... I decided to pull the trigger and update... and happy to report that so far so good, none of those issues have popped up, and my charge port door issue was fixed.... I took a 200 mile trip and supercharged at a 250kw charger for about 20 minutes.. no issues

YMMV but it appears to me that if your car doesn't have the issues in the first place, the software update will not introduce them. Again that is based on my personal experience.
opposite happened to me - 2022.8.3 caused my charge port door not opening with the button; did the steering wheel button reset yesterday and still didn't work......

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and JER85
My general rule with Tesla software is not to be an early adopter. If the software I have is working for me, I stay on it as long as possible on software that is working since I've been disappointed more times than I can count with Tesla updates. V7 was great. V8 was also great but every release after that was worse and worse. V9 was awful. V10 a little worse than v9. V11 was a huge leap in awfulness. I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that it's been 17 months since they broke USB content showing up in search results. It now takes 30 screen presses on average to find an album and play a track since 1) Foldering is still messed up, 2), leaving the wrong folder jumps back to the top of a very long list, and 3) the A-Z shortcuts are off by multiple letters.....all problems that did not exist in V8.

That said, my reading from most is that 2022.8.3 did not cause any problems. You were already having these issues before and successive software updates have either 1) not done anything or 2) made it a little better.

It all smacks of a hardware defect that is varying from vehicle to vehicle that they are doing their best to roll out a software work around rather than an actual fix.

I haven't had any of these issues and am hopeful it's because they were hardware issues that were fixed by the time my car was made which was the end of March.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and bmah