Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Replacement for Mercedes-Benz GL550

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am considering a Tesla Model X to replace our 2015 M-B GL550:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mercedes-benz/gl-class/2015

Both are heavy, powerful, luxury SUVs with seating for seven, air suspension, big wheels and tires, but vastly different technology. The M-B has a twin-turbocharged V-8, which is quick and fast, but stinks at startup, rumbles like thunder and burns gas like it was going out of style, which it may be!

Replacing it with a Tesla would be a "leap of faith" into vastly different technology, but in a similar vehicle. I'm interested in your experience making a similar leap and what you gained ... and what you lost. Let's start with the sunglass case over the rear view mirror ... the M-B has it ... the Tesla won't, but what substantial differences will I discover?

...stinks at startup, rumbles like thunder and burns gas like it was going out of style, which it may be!...

I would be the wrong person to ask because I always bought the cheapest gasoline cars in the past but one day I suddenly woke up and couldn't stand smelling the gasoline and its externalities any more (pollution, violence, and war to maintain the oil industry...) and I switched to Tesla in 2012.

Now, even without those reasons above, I wouldn't go back to gasoline car companies anymore because technologically, even in their EVs, they are so behind: from range to charging, to Autopilot...

It's been the third year that I've been driving Model X and I love it.

Its Falcon Wing Doors are much superior to traditional doors.

I love its automatic driver door too. Very convenient and I am just so spoiled by the feature.

I enjoy the Autopilot so much because I can use it in most scenarios, from city streets to highways, to constructions... (Waymo can do that too but it doesn't sell to consumers).

Reactions: DanCar and SaniDel
By the way, I got stranded by gasoline cars multiple times due to Out of Gas, Flooded Carburetor, Broken Timing Belt, Transmission failure, Alternator failure, 12V Failure...

Not since I got a Tesla in 2012. My 2012 Tesla Model S did have 3 repairs in its higher odometer which could have cost me $9,000 but cost me nothing additionally because I already prepaid $2,400 ESA. All those were preemptive so I didn't have to wait till being stranded on the road.

Tesla has sensors so they can warn you a need for repairs so you can take care of that preemptively and prevent a break down in the middle of the road.

My 2017 Model X and 2018 Model 3 have not acted up yet maybe because they know that they are still under the new car warranty period :)

Reactions: SaniDel
Many Mercedes owners buy one Mercedes after another. They like the prestige that being seen in these cars bring them.

The Tesla experience is a different one. Both are great, but making the leap requires a bit of faith.

The World is changing and driving a highly polluting, V8 powered battle wagon is going quickly out of style. Tesla is the future, and many are making that leap. Mercedes sales are falling, while Tesla is gaining more and more converts.

They are great cars. I sold my Grand Cherokee (bought 5 in a row) for my Model X. It is superior in every way. More room inside, better traction off road, much less expensive to run, and more reliable.

Jeep also had a sunglass holder over the mirror. Very convenient, but pales in comparison to the vastly more open feeling the Tesla panorama windshield provides. The view is just expansive. Also gives a much more open feeling to those riding in the back seats.

The throttle response is much better than the Mercedes. You will notice that much of the switch gear is sourced from Mercedes. You will feel right at home.

Give a Tesla a test drive. Keep your mind open and aware. The benefits to electric drive are fantastic.

Buying one right now will also give you free supercharging. Means that on your long distance travel, the fuel will be on Tesla.

PS. These things are FAST!

Thanks, Uncle Paul!

Our GL550 is our first Mercedes and we appreciate the prestige, but it is a “battle wagon” ... like a tank! We owned ten Lexus vehicles before the Mercedes, but Lexus ruined their appearance with their “spindle grille” design. The Mercedes looks better than Lexus vehicles, but it is still looks ‘brutish’ compared to Tesla!

From the inside I’m hoping for the same driving experience ... a heavy, luxurious, fast and powerful SUV that glides over smooth roads and soaks up the bumps on rough roads ... without the stink, the noise and the need to visit gas stations, which have about as much charm as visiting the DMV!

Mercedes-Benz switchgear works great and will feel familiar. Thanks for the encouragement ... I’ll find another place for my sunglasses!

If I were you, I'd at least consider the new Mercedes Eqc.

Thanks, Petrocelli!

We are considering the EQC, but we think it will be a “non-starter” for us ... other than Mercedes-Benz would be keen to keep us as customers so it would be a good comparison for trade-in values.

The EQC is platformed on the GLC that is “two sizes smaller” than what we are used to driving. We’ve had GLC loaners and couldn’t wait to give them back. As far as we’ve learned the EQC will be an ‘electrified’ version of the GLC ... too little to late, but likely adequate for diehard Mercedes-Benz fans, which we are not.

We’re expecting a Tesla Model X to “remind us” of our large, comfortable, heavy and powerful Mercedes-Benz with all the advantages that an electric vehicle offers, plus much better technology than any other vehicle. Accurate ... or are we fooling ourselves?

• Disagree
Reactions: Petrocelli
I’m kinda in the similar boat but I’m keeping my MB G63. Just picked up my Model X Performance and for me it’s totally different in a good way.

The fit and finish on the MB is hands down better than the MX. But that’s not why I bought it.

The MX is a totally different beast and way more fun to drive than any car I’ve owned (so far). The tech in the MX is decades ahead of my MB.

The 19’ MX ride-quality is very comfortable (that said I’m comparing to a G63)

I’m keeping the MB because it doesn’t really serve the same purpose for me.

I’m very impressed by the Model X.

Thanks, Petrocelli!

We are considering the EQC, but we think it will be a “non-starter” for us ... other than Mercedes-Benz would be keen to keep us as customers so it would be a good comparison for trade-in values.

The EQC is platformed on the GLC that is “two sizes smaller” than what we are used to driving. We’ve had GLC loaners and couldn’t wait to give them back. As far as we’ve learned the EQC will be an ‘electrified’ version of the GLC ... too little to late, but likely adequate for diehard Mercedes-Benz fans, which we are not.

We’re expecting a Tesla Model X to “remind us” of our large, comfortable, heavy and powerful Mercedes-Benz with all the advantages that an electric vehicle offers, plus much better technology than any other vehicle. Accurate ... or are we fooling ourselves?
The biggest difference that comes to mind for me - in terms of sacrifice in going to X from gl550 - is that the third row in the Mercedes is vastly roomier, nicer, and less claustrophobic, and there is much more storage space potential.

We have a six seat X because we don't really need a 7th seat, but use 6 regularly. If you really don't need the third row seats, then it's not as a big of a deal. But personally, my kids really disliked the X third row when we had a loaner, and adults were like "no thank you". And the 6 seat X really lacks SUV space for carrying stuff, since the mid seats don't fold down.

I’m kinda in the similar boat but I’m keeping my MB G63. Just picked up my Model X Performance and for me it’s totally different in a good way.

The fit and finish on the MB is hands down better than the MX. But that’s not why I bought it.

The MX is a totally different beast and way more fun to drive than any car I’ve owned (so far). The tech in the MX is decades ahead of my MB.

The 19’ MX ride-quality is very comfortable (that said I’m comparing to a G63)

I’m keeping the MB because it doesn’t really serve the same purpose for me.

I’m very impressed by the Model X.

Thanks profunctional!

I've had over four years to become familiar with our first Mercedes-Benz and I agree with your conclusions. I found a total of one (1) fit and finish defect ... a minuscule paint flaw where it bubbled while drying. I was disappointed in their technology when I bought it in 2015 coming from a relatively high-tech Lexus. A G63 is not only "a different kind of animal" it is in a class (a cage?) by itself!

Wife had 3 prior M-B GL350's(Diesel), the fit and finish is superior in the GL. 3rd row seating is better in the GL, but we have the 6 seater and it is so much easier to access the 3rd row in the X, that it makes the X much more useful to us for seating.

Other than that, X all the way. We have no regrets and couldn't see us going back to MB. I certainly don't miss the $300 oil changes and $80 fill ups.

The biggest difference that comes to mind for me - in terms of sacrifice in going to X from gl550 - is that the third row in the Mercedes is vastly roomier, nicer, and less claustrophobic, and there is much more storage space potential.

We have a six seat X because we don't really need a 7th seat, but use 6 regularly. If you really don't need the third row seats, then it's not as a big of a deal. But personally, my kids really disliked the X third row when we had a loaner, and adults were like "no thank you". And the 6 seat X really lacks SUV space for carrying stuff, since the mid seats don't fold down.

Thanks, alcibiades!

Deciding on seating configuration may be the hardest part of the decision. IIUC ... the six- and seven-seat configurations have a second air conditioner for passengers in the rear, which is what we are used to in our M-B. We seldom carry passengers, but the few times we did they were kept cool and comfortable ... albeit a bit cramped. Would the five-seat configuration have adequate air-conditioning capacity?

Our M-B has more than enough storage capacity and we would miss that in a Tesla Model X. We seldom need to fold down the third row seats, but when we do it is cavernous and if that isn't enough we can fold down the second row seats ... enough to bring home an eight-foot stepladder ... in its box! I don't expect I could do that in a Tesla, but I also don't expect to need to do that!

Wife had 3 prior M-B GL350's(Diesel), the fit and finish is superior in the GL. 3rd row seating is better in the GL, but we have the 6 seater and it is so much easier to access the 3rd row in the X, that it makes the X much more useful to us for seating.

Other than that, X all the way. We have no regrets and couldn't see us going back to MB. I certainly don't miss the $300 oil changes and $80 fill ups.

Thanks, Walker34!

We never needed the third row seats in our M-B, but we needed the storage space on occasion and we will again when we move in the near future so we will keep it until after the move. I doubt we will have interest in more than a five-seat Model X, but losing that second air conditioner is a concern ... not that anyone will be sitting back there to complain!

Thanks, Uncle Paul!

Our GL550 is our first Mercedes and we appreciate the prestige, but it is a “battle wagon” ... like a tank! We owned ten Lexus vehicles before the Mercedes, but Lexus ruined their appearance with their “spindle grille” design. The Mercedes looks better than Lexus vehicles, but it is still looks ‘brutish’ compared to Tesla!

From the inside I’m hoping for the same driving experience ... a heavy, luxurious, fast and powerful SUV that glides over smooth roads and soaks up the bumps on rough roads ... without the stink, the noise and the need to visit gas stations, which have about as much charm as visiting the DMV!

Mercedes-Benz switchgear works great and will feel familiar. Thanks for the encouragement ... I’ll find another place for my sunglasses!
Had MB for 5 decades...no complaints...just bored with the interior ...had the GL450 (early adopter) no issues..just got difficult for me to get in..(bad knee..since resolved..bad back..never gets resolved :/ Also the way the 2nd row seats had to be handled to get into 3rd row & at least mine wasn't fully motorized..mayb they r now? That was a pain!!
Now looking forward to "no mo gas stations have to's" with the ease of entry to any row and the fun of a truly tech car!! Have fun with yours!

Am considering a Tesla Model X to replace our 2015 M-B GL550:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mercedes-benz/gl-class/2015

Both are heavy, powerful, luxury SUVs with seating for seven, air suspension, big wheels and tires, but vastly different technology. The M-B has a twin-turbocharged V-8, which is quick and fast, but stinks at startup, rumbles like thunder and burns gas like it was going out of style, which it may be!

Replacing it with a Tesla would be a "leap of faith" into vastly different technology, but in a similar vehicle. I'm interested in your experience making a similar leap and what you gained ... and what you lost. Let's start with the sunglass case over the rear view mirror ... the M-B has it ... the Tesla won't, but what substantial differences will I discover?
We had GL550 2012. It chewed tires for lunch, which can happen with any car, but GL550 tires were very costly. Wife does not like the MX because it is not 'heavy', which translates to it is too fast and thus feels lighter, and anything light is perceived as not safe.

The older gl550, despite the big engine, still took time to respond. Sooo, i got rid of it, and i drive the MX, and it is fantastic. View out of the front is superior. Ride can be stiff, like a german car, not like a lexus-- but my X is from 2016. Service is nothing on the X, service on the GL550 was expensive. Wife got a new gls450, first service after 10k miles was $1200, and apparently this has to be done every 10k miles.

Also, our gl550 had awful mileage nearly 12 to 14 mpg, and in socal gas is not cheap. Then switched to MX, and drove about 2000 miles per month, our electric bill went up by $100 per month-- charged at night after midnight (time of use rates were much cheaper in socal).

Had MB for 5 decades...no complaints...just bored with the interior ...had the GL450 (early adopter) no issues..just got difficult for me to get in..(bad knee..since resolved..bad back..never gets resolved :/ Also the way the 2nd row seats had to be handled to get into 3rd row & at least mine wasn't fully motorized..mayb they r now? That was a pain!!
Now looking forward to "no mo gas stations have to's" with the ease of entry to any row and the fun of a truly tech car!! Have fun with yours!

Thanks, jerseygirl18!

That describes us ... except it only took one M-B! For such a large vehicle they are difficult to climb in and out ... expecting it will be easier in a Model X. My wife hates the way the front doors won’t stay open ... looking forward to the Tesla holding the doors open for us.

M-B urgently needs to update their interiors and their technology. Was used to touch-screens on most of the Lexus vehicles we owned, but not M-B. Had to learn to use a controller on the console and to suppress the urge to touch the screen!

• Funny
Reactions: jerseygirl18
We had GL550 2012. It chewed tires for lunch, which can happen with any car, but GL550 tires were very costly. Wife does not like the MX because it is not 'heavy', which translates to it is too fast and thus feels lighter, and anything light is perceived as not safe.

The older gl550, despite the big engine, still took time to respond. Sooo, i got rid of it, and i drive the MX, and it is fantastic. View out of the front is superior. Ride can be stiff, like a german car, not like a lexus-- but my X is from 2016. Service is nothing on the X, service on the GL550 was expensive. Wife got a new gls450, first service after 10k miles was $1200, and apparently this has to be done every 10k miles.

Also, our gl550 had awful mileage nearly 12 to 14 mpg, and in socal gas is not cheap. Then switched to MX, and drove about 2000 miles per month, our electric bill went up by $100 per month-- charged at night after midnight (time of use rates were much cheaper in socal).

Thanks, larmor!

Our GL ate the first two set of tires in less than 25,000 miles, but they were Continentals. Hoping the third set of Michelin’s will last until we trade!

My wife will be interested in your wife’s perception of weight vs. safety. We like the ‘feel’ of a heavy SUV and hoped the Model X would feel the same. Do you and your wife simply perceive differently or is there an objective difference between her GLS450 and your Model X?

Glad to hear service on the Model X is ‘nothing’ ... it is definitely something on a M-B, but we live only two miles from the M-B dealership.

We’ll be moving soon to a community that buys their electrical power wholesale and allows $1,800 of usage to each residence annually. Any usage over that will be charged at wholesale rates. So, although we expect charging an EV will certainly push us over this allotment, we’ll pay wholesale rates to charge at any time.

Thanks, larmor!

Our GL ate the first two set of tires in less than 25,000 miles, but they were Continentals. Hoping the third set of Michelin’s will last until we trade!

My wife will be interested in your wife’s perception of weight vs. safety. We like the ‘feel’ of a heavy SUV and hoped the Model X would feel the same. Do you and your wife simply perceive differently or is there an objective difference between her GLS450 and your Model X?

Glad to hear service on the Model X is ‘nothing’ ... it is definitely something on a M-B, but we live only two miles from the M-B dealership.

We’ll be moving soon to a community that buys their electrical power wholesale and allows $1,800 of usage to each residence annually. Any usage over that will be charged at wholesale rates. So, although we expect charging an EV will certainly push us over this allotment, we’ll pay wholesale rates to charge at any time.
Since the MX moves so quickly and is quick to respond (and we did not get the performance version) that feels like the car is light. So my wife says that it is not for her, it is not safe. To add to that, although the MX is a very heavy car by weight its form factor is smaller than a large SUV, that was another issue that my wife felt that detracted from its safety. Finally, the ride is pretty stiff in a MX even with 20" tires ( i wanted the 22's but i'm sure there would have been a lot of curb rash) and is like an audi or bmw in terms of stiffness or a MB with the 'sport' setting-- on newer mercedes. I liked that and some people prefer the lexus type ride. I think the newer model S and X have changed their suspension and air ride settings, so that might not be as perceivable.

In the end, it is a personal choice-- the MB offers that 'look and feel'. The tesla is like a spaceship, so totally different from a standard car. Sometimes, my SO complains about this or that about the tesla, some small item here or there, and i say to her, if this was a ferrari, no one would question such an issue in this car because it is a ferrari. So similarly this is a very fast SUV that runs on electric only. IT is not like a regular SUV, as such will have some compromises. The upside besides being fast, is not going to a gas station, among other things. Even my late 2016 model continues to receive updates. I even wanted to take it for service and tesla said no need for it.

One thing in the model x is to leave the car in chill mode. This basically detunes the car and it won’t be as lightening quick.

I actually have three profiles in the car (u can set up to 10) but they are normal which is chill mode and comfort steering. So it rides very gently. We don’t have a raven (latest model x but the suspension is better).

Then there is sport mode for when no one is in the car with me. That’s set to use the whole horsepower and sport steering :)

The car is five seats and the back is cavernous. Would get a seven seater if we knew what we know now. All the rows fold down and God’s for occasional use.

Haven’t owned a Mercedes so can’t comment on that. Our MX is going back (was on lease and we r in tears here :) have our model 3 and bolt.