Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Replacement for Mercedes-Benz GL550

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you're going to be hauling around furniture the MX has plenty of storage space. I've gone on week-long camping trips with 4 adults and comfortably fit all of us, plus all of our gear, in my 6 seat MX. You can fit long skinny things in between the two middle seats. The only thing that I've had trouble with was a bulky dresser but I'm not sure if that would have fit in other luxury SUV's.

I disagree with the above poster about it feeling light. It's quick to accelerate, yes, but in terms of handling it's a land boat. You will not be making sporty turns in this car. The ride will be very smooth if you are ordering a new MX (the suspension was upgraded a few months ago).

Also, the point about safety is ridiculous - someone's wife's irrational fear because the vehicle "feels light" doesn't change the fact that this car has been given the highest safety ratings from multiple agencies. You have a much lower center of gravity than other SUVs due to the battery pack, so there's basically zero roll risk. It's also much heavier than other vehicles so your momentum will win out over anything but a truck. I feel very comfortable driving this around the chaotic streets of LA.

Reactions: SaniDel
Thanks, alcibiades!

Deciding on seating configuration may be the hardest part of the decision. IIUC ... the six- and seven-seat configurations have a second air conditioner for passengers in the rear, which is what we are used to in our M-B. We seldom carry passengers, but the few times we did they were kept cool and comfortable ... albeit a bit cramped. Would the five-seat configuration have adequate air-conditioning capacity?
You're welcome. In case I wasn't clear, I think the 6 seat X is perfect for my three kids and they don't mind sitting in the third row. Road trips are a blast (but we sure do fill up the back and frunk with our stuffs). One kid gets the way back and the other two ride in the middle two seats. No touching. So peaceful.

Good luck on your decision. For all its many, many faults, Tesla ropes me in because I can't go back to an ICE.

Reactions: VikH
One thing in the model x is to leave the car in chill mode. This basically detunes the car and it won’t be as lightening quick.

I actually have three profiles in the car (u can set up to 10) but they are normal which is chill mode and comfort steering. So it rides very gently. We don’t have a raven (latest model x but the suspension is better).

Then there is sport mode for when no one is in the car with me. That’s set to use the whole horsepower and sport steering :)

The car is five seats and the back is cavernous. Would get a seven seater if we knew what we know now. All the rows fold down and God’s for occasional use.

Haven’t owned a Mercedes so can’t comment on that. Our MX is going back (was on lease and we r in tears here :) have our model 3 and bolt.

Thanks, Richt!

Haven't heard about 'Chill' mode ... is that the opposite of Ludicrous?

What do you know now that would make you want the seven-seater?

One thing in the model x is to leave the car in chill mode. This basically detunes the car and it won’t be as lightening quick.

I actually have three profiles in the car (u can set up to 10) but they are normal which is chill mode and comfort steering. So it rides very gently. We don’t have a raven (latest model x but the suspension is better).

Then there is sport mode for when no one is in the car with me. That’s set to use the whole horsepower and sport steering :)

The car is five seats and the back is cavernous. Would get a seven seater if we knew what we know now. All the rows fold down and God’s for occasional use.

Haven’t owned a Mercedes so can’t comment on that. Our MX is going back (was on lease and we r in tears here :) have our model 3 and bolt.

Thanks, Richt!

What do you know now that would convince you to get the seven-seater?

I didn't come from a Merc, but from a Volvo XC90. We got the 7-seat option for flexibility. It folds flat through the 2nd and 3rd row, unlike the 6-seater pedestal 2nd row seats that do not fold. That said, the 2nd row in the 7-seat variant isn't as 'cool,' as it's a fairly standard 3-wide bench seat.

Yes, Chill is basically the anti-Ludicrous. It just 'cools off' some of the acceleration so you can use the pedal more like a gasoline-fueled vehicle without scaring your passengers. :) I virtually never use Chill, as there's nothing that Chill gives you that you can't also do yourself with judicious pedal use. But some folks prefer to just remove the crazy acceleration from the table, and Chill gets you there. It should also be noted that in a Tesla, virtually all of your settings choices stick to your user profile. So it's simple, for example, for you to prefer Chill and low regen, while your wife prefers Ludicrous and heavy regen. If you get in the car with your fob, it'll automatically apply your settings. If your wife gets in the driver's side, it'll swap.

Whatever config you choose, welcome to the club.

I didn't come from a Merc, but from a Volvo XC90. We got the 7-seat option for flexibility. It folds flat through the 2nd and 3rd row, unlike the 6-seater pedestal 2nd row seats that do not fold. That said, the 2nd row in the 7-seat variant isn't as 'cool,' as it's a fairly standard 3-wide bench seat.

Yes, Chill is basically the anti-Ludicrous. It just 'cools off' some of the acceleration so you can use the pedal more like a gasoline-fueled vehicle without scaring your passengers. :) I virtually never use Chill, as there's nothing that Chill gives you that you can't also do yourself with judicious pedal use. But some folks prefer to just remove the crazy acceleration from the table, and Chill gets you there. It should also be noted that in a Tesla, virtually all of your settings choices stick to your user profile. So it's simple, for example, for you to prefer Chill and low regen, while your wife prefers Ludicrous and heavy regen. If you get in the car with your fob, it'll automatically apply your settings. If your wife gets in the driver's side, it'll swap.

Whatever config you choose, welcome to the club.

Thanks, Zaxxon!

A Volvo XC90 is a worthy competitor for the M-B so your decision to switch to a Tesla Model X endorses our intent.

I'm impressed to hear that not only are there multiple profiles, but also the the vehicle can determine who is driving and which profiles to apply, which is something else our M-B can't do. Over the past four years of ownership our M-B seems to have become more 'unruly' ... the truth is we are growing older and more cautious. Knowing that 'Chill' mode is available is reassuring as we would seldom need 'Normal' mode and won't pay for Ludicrous ... we would scare ourselves!

Thanks, Zaxxon!

A Volvo XC90 is a worthy competitor for the M-B so your decision to switch to a Tesla Model X endorses our intent.

I'm impressed to hear that not only are there multiple profiles, but also the the vehicle can determine who is driving and which profiles to apply, which is something else our M-B can't do. Over the past four years of ownership our M-B seems to have become more 'unruly' ... the truth is we are growing older and more cautious. Knowing that 'Chill' mode is available is reassuring as we would seldom need 'Normal' mode and won't pay for Ludicrous ... we would scare ourselves!

The vehicle doesn't determine who is driving; the profile detection is done entire based on key fobs. If your wife takes your key fob the car will select your profile and vice versa. Sometimes if both of you are in the car and you both have your keys the profile selection can pick the wrong person. That being said it's two taps to change the driver profile so not a big hassle at all.

The vehicle doesn't determine who is driving; the profile detection is done entire based on key fobs. If your wife takes your key fob the car will select your profile and vice versa. Sometimes if both of you are in the car and you both have your keys the profile selection can pick the wrong person. That being said it's two taps to change the driver profile so not a big hassle at all.

Thanks, DoctorVenkman ... much better said than I could!

Agreed, it's not perfect. But we've found that in general if the person who's going to be driving is the one who approaches the driver's door (with their own fob), the car will pick the correct profile the large majority of the time even if the other fob is somewhere else nearby.

Agreed, it's not perfect. But we've found that in general if the person who's going to be driving is the one who approaches the driver's door (with their own fob), the car will pick the correct profile the large majority of the time even if the other fob is somewhere else nearby.

Thanks, Zaxxon!

My wife and I may fall afoul of this! We own only one vehicle, we intend to own only one when we trade it for a Tesla Model X and we almost always drive together. It is typical for us to approach our vehicle together, each with our fobs on our persons ... mine in a pocket, my wife's in her purse ... and to get in our vehicle at the same time.

In addition ... we deliberately switch drivers after lunch as we go out for lunch every day ... it's "our thing"! So, every day after lunch our "Tesla-to-be" will have to decide who gets into which side and to pick the correct profile. Good to know if it decides wrong a "double tap" will change profiles.

P.S. I hasten to add that none of this is possible with our current vehicle ... our fobs are identical and interchangeable although both are 'keyed' to our vehicle. Tesla's fobs are apparently unique and non-interchangeable in addition to being keyed to one vehicle.

Yeah, it's a super-simple 'fix' if the wrong profile is chosen--just tap the name on the screen, then tap the name you want. Changes in < 5 seconds. Which is a stark change from my Volvo, which took upwards of a minute to change everything over when a profile was chosen.

Have you test-driven the Tesla yet?

Unless you're going to be hauling around furniture the MX has plenty of storage space. I've gone on week-long camping trips with 4 adults and comfortably fit all of us, plus all of our gear, in my 6 seat MX. You can fit long skinny things in between the two middle seats. The only thing that I've had trouble with was a bulky dresser but I'm not sure if that would have fit in other luxury SUV's.

I disagree with the above poster about it feeling light. It's quick to accelerate, yes, but in terms of handling it's a land boat. You will not be making sporty turns in this car. The ride will be very smooth if you are ordering a new MX (the suspension was upgraded a few months ago).

Also, the point about safety is ridiculous - someone's wife's irrational fear because the vehicle "feels light" doesn't change the fact that this car has been given the highest safety ratings from multiple agencies. You have a much lower center of gravity than other SUVs due to the battery pack, so there's basically zero roll risk. It's also much heavier than other vehicles so your momentum will win out over anything but a truck. I feel very comfortable driving this around the chaotic streets of LA.

Thanks again, DoctorVenkman!

One of the reasons we are delaying purchase of a Tesla Model X is to keep our M-B GL550 until our downsizing. Once we are relocated its cargo hauling capacity will no longer be required and it will be time to trade.

Still, there are those occasional times when you need to haul something and it is good to hear that the MX "... has plenty of storage space ... " even in the six-seat configuration. That is my preference, but we are a long way away from configuring a specific vehicle!

Yeah, it's a super-simple 'fix' if the wrong profile is chosen--just tap the name on the screen, then tap the name you want. Changes in < 5 seconds. Which is a stark change from my Volvo, which took upwards of a minute to change everything over when a profile was chosen.

Have you test-driven the Tesla yet?

Zaxxon ... not yet, but soon!

Our son is also shopping for a Model 3 and we want him to be the "guinea pig" to lead the way for the rest of the family. He's certain to get a Model 3, but the big issues are the same for all Teslas. We're just as certain to get a Model X ... assuming we find no "show-stoppers" on this forum.

Thanks for the procedure for changing profiles ... my wife and I are relieved to know it is that easy.

Yes chill is the opposite. It turns the power down. I think I read to half of normal. We find that for lost trips we don’t need anything like 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

The net effect is a much more mellow ride. I probably drove 95% in that mode. When I now I’m getting on the freeway or there is the need to pay more attention I switch to the sport profile. This also loves my seat up a bit so I can focus.

Thanks, Richt!

What do you know now that would convince you to get the seven-seater?

And the other posters are right about how profiles work.

As for why the seven seat version. After having the five seat version for two years, we never used the extra cargo space that the five makes available. Also the folks who sit in the second seat are small enough they don’t need the extra room.

And we do have times when we need to have six people in the car and this solves the problem.

Finally unlike the six, you can fold the middle seats down when you have a monster Costco load. :)

{{ngMeta.title}}

This describes our predicament. Tesla is wrecking the used car market ... especially for European luxury brands. Our 2015 GL550 with 30,000 miles is worth a third of what we paid for it. We have less than three years before the extended warranty expires with no option to extend for more time ... even with such low mileage.

Ironically, the Tesla Model X is a worthy replacement for our GL550 as you have confirmed. So, we may be "feeding the problem" when we take a beating on our trade-in for a Tesla!

Am considering a Tesla Model X to replace our 2015 M-B GL550:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mercedes-benz/gl-class/2015

Both are heavy, powerful, luxury SUVs with seating for seven, air suspension, big wheels and tires, but vastly different technology. The M-B has a twin-turbocharged V-8, which is quick and fast, but stinks at startup, rumbles like thunder and burns gas like it was going out of style, which it may be!

Replacing it with a Tesla would be a "leap of faith" into vastly different technology, but in a similar vehicle. I'm interested in your experience making a similar leap and what you gained ... and what you lost. Let's start with the sunglass case over the rear view mirror ... the M-B has it ... the Tesla won't, but what substantial differences will I discover?

I was looking at replacing my Audi Q5. So that is the experience I am coming from. Not nearly the space of a 7 seater, but plenty for me and the vast majority of trips to Home Depot/Lowes.

The speed, comfort, and tech factor are night and day different. Going from a 2.0 Turbo to a Performance (Ludi) electric motor is so stark a change it is almost beyond description. The seats in the Model X are very comfy compared to my Audi, with the exception of the head rest. I am a taller guy with maybe a longer torso. So my shoulders sit higher on the seat. The headrest does not go that high and the bottom part of it sort of digs into the lower part of my neck around the shoulders. So not a fan of the headrest for purely a comfy ride. The tech, again, is such a stark contrast. Going from full color NAV in Audi, which was a smallish screen and a barely featured SD Card/MP3 Stereo was just good enough to be useful. It was very dated, even when I purchased it back in 2013. The Tesla is still far from where it should be in my opinion but has the added flexibility of receiving new features over the air. It is already better than it was when I took delivery only a few months ago.

I have a 5 seat model. I don't have kids or any reason why I would use e third row, and I get more storage space and even second row legroom by not having to make room for the 3rd row seating. I don't know what other's experience is with the third row, but to me it is really only usable by children or small adults.

My only 'criticism' is really the falcon wing doors. They are way cool and get a lot of looks, but they are over-engineered and a lot of moving parts that will be prone to failure. I would have been way more eager for the car if it had more traditional rear side doors and saved all that time and money for adding more luxurious features to the car.

I heard this elsewhere, but could not agree more. It is a $200K performance car with a $20K interior. While the interior is nice.. .it is not what I would expect to find in a similarly appointed car of that same price range. They kind of 'phoned in' the center console storage situation. It could have been far more functional but it appears far less baked then much of the rest of the features.

Also, rear visibility through back window is very bad. You can drive with the rear view camera on, which is very wide angle and great quality. For me the blind spots are not great either, more so the driver side. Again, possibly because of my size in the car, the pillar behind my shoulder is right in the way and obstructs the view into my blind spot, making it even more of one.

The quickness of the car cannot be overstated. It is a BLAST to drive. It is very responsive and precise. The suspension does a good job of making you feel like you are part of the road without feeling harsh. It is in fact much smoother than my Audi in that regard, no doubt due to the overall weight of the car. While it feels good in corners, I do get a sense of the weight here, unwilling to want to to push to hard for fear of it letting physics take matters into it's own hands.

As long as you are prepared for issues that may need to be corrected after you take delivery and that this is still a relatively new car company with plenty of teething issues, you will likely love it. If you are a perfectionist with little patience for little to no communication, delays in repairs, minor cosmetic issues, and other such things, you would probably be better served by the Mercedes.

I am not that far from Greenville DE. If you like, happy to meet you somewhere to go over the car in detail.

Last edited:
I am not that far from Greenville DE. If you like, happy to meet you somewhere to go over the car in detail.

Thanks you, Daisame! Before the extended warranty on our M-B expires in the Spring of 2022 we feel compelled to trade our M-B as we are unwilling to self-insure. If we are as convinced then that the Tesla X is a worthy successor ... or if we need further convincing we will take you up on your offer!

We traded off our GLS550 for a model X raven. A few observations:

1. We are glad to leave those premium gas fill ups behind.
2 . Tesla build quality is not even close to Mercedes and neither is the service. Period.
3. We miss Mbrace service but we are NOT going to miss those outrageous A/B/C service costs And oil changes.
4. Tesla has really good pickup from 0-60. Don’t expect it to have the endless power that the bi-turbo V8 has. We miss that but once again, we don’t miss the premium gas prices that went along with it.

You really need to test drive the X and then make a decision. We went with the 7 seat configuration mainly for the enhanced HVAC in the rear. We also had the dual climate package on our 18 GLS550.

Thanks, alphainfinity!

Excellent points, which we will consider before trading. We are concerned that a Tesla Model X won't have the same quality 'reminders' as our 2015 GL 550, e.g., ride quality, absence of wind and road noise, fit and finish, but especially what you describe as "the endless power" of the bi-turbo V8. On the other hand ... our driving has declined to about 7,000 miles per year and we don't have the driving opportunities you have in Montana. Are your interstates still unrestricted?

We also will lose our specific advantage of a local M-B dealership that always has loaners as we are a one-car family. Not that we want to spend time at a dealership for service and at 7,000 miles per year it only needs to go in annually. No idea at this point who or where to service a Tesla, but once we take a test drive we'll know.