Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MX 100D for about 4 months. Recently I have noticed road noise increase inside my car. So I downloaded a dB app to check the reading and below is what I've found. Do you know if these readings are as expected or need services? Any feedback is appreciated.

Conditions: Turned off radio, Turned off A/C, During day time commute in Northern California (Bay Area).

Idle at the traffic light: ~60 dB
60 mph: ~75 dB
70 mph: ~80 dB
75 mph: ~82 dB

My X90D vin April 17, is very quite at freeway speeds. It's equipped with the Conti Silents and I'm running 42 psi with 13k miles.
What's the condition of your tires? Is it wind noise, road noise or rattles and machine noise?

My tires psi just tuned by SC about 1 week ago. So I believe that they are up to specification. I was referring to the road noise. I don't hear any whistle relating to wind noise. I only hear machine noise when I am driving at 80 mph or above.

I think there are several posts about this - some by me, and one that is literally two posts away from this one. This is the first one I've see where the DBs were measured and reported - thank you! This caused me to look up sound levels and a few sources refer to 85 db as the noise level of busy city traffic inside a car, the average volume inside a commercial aircraft when cruising, or a diesel truck at 40 mph when 50 feet away. That is some indication that noise level (which I find completely unacceptable at highway speeds) may be partly a perception of loudness due to how quiet the vehicle is a low speeds. That said, there is no doubt that my Mx is far louder at highway speeds than my friend's Lexus 450 - a vehicle that is at least $30k cheaper than mine. We frequently go to lunch leaving from the same building and drive the same road ways switching off on whose car we take. On quietness at highway speeds, Lexus crushes Tesla.

So, here's another shot: if anyone has improved/reduced the noise level at highway speeds, please chime in as to what you've done. I think Tesla feels they've addressed it with the creation of the contisilent tires - which were OEM on my car. I've heard better rubber seals can help, but more info is needed on that (type, reduction achieved). I've heard using Dynamat in the doors is too heavy and causes sensor problems. Open to all ideas.

I just joined this forum specifically to research this issue we are having with our Model X! We have had it for almost two years and my husband has to wear noise cancellation BOSE speakers to tolerate the drivea. We drive 100 miles on weekends to our weekend home and during the whole drive we are miserable.
Tesla has been unhelpful.
We believe the noise is from the signature windshield.
When we first picked up the car in April of 2016, the issue was due to poor seals and we would get wind hissing through the widows. This has been remedied.
The noise we are talking about AMBIENT WHITE NOISE. An overall fish bowl experience. Almost in an aircraft.
Tesla is finally testing the decibels and it seems now it all makes sense.
Our friends when sitting in the passenger seat in the back must come forward to talk to us. Or I have to speak loudly to have them hear me.
I am sorry I do not have a solution, I do not think there is one.

Can you let me know which DB app you downloaded? I want to try it.

Even if someone else were able to record their settings, there are so many variable as to make the comparisons useless I would think. They'd have to be on the same roads in the same conditions with the same phone in the same mounting position.

I think there are several posts about this - some by me, and one that is literally two posts away from this one. This is the first one I've see where the DBs were measured and reported - thank you! This caused me to look up sound levels and a few sources refer to 85 db as the noise level of busy city traffic inside a car, the average volume inside a commercial aircraft when cruising, or a diesel truck at 40 mph when 50 feet away.
The db reported by an app may or may not be very accurate, depending on the device, and certainly isn't a calibrated measurement. I'm guessing this is why the OP posted the "stopped at a traffic light" number for comparison. Presumably someone more familiar with acoustics could use that number as a reference point to determine what the other numbers actually mean.
That is some indication that noise level (which I find completely unacceptable at highway speeds) may be partly a perception of loudness due to how quiet the vehicle is a low speeds. That said, there is no doubt that my Mx is far louder at highway speeds than my friend's Lexus 450 - a vehicle that is at least $30k cheaper than mine. We frequently go to lunch leaving from the same building and drive the same road ways switching off on whose car we take. On quietness at highway speeds, Lexus crushes Tesla.
Are you sure about this? I rented a Model X P90D on Turo before purchasing my Model X 100D, and I complained about the noise to my brother when giving him a ride. He pointed out that it was easy to have a conversation without raising our voices (while I was driving, and I am deaf on my right side), so he theorized that the lack of white noise from an engine might simply make the other noise seem louder (this is similar to what you said about the silence at low speeds, but I'm referring more to the vocal volume needed to converse). While the Lexus may seem quieter, can you tell if you have to speak louder in one or the other?.
So, here's another shot: if anyone has improved/reduced the noise level at highway speeds, please chime in as to what you've done. I think Tesla feels they've addressed it with the creation of the contisilent tires - which were OEM on my car. I've heard better rubber seals can help, but more info is needed on that (type, reduction achieved). I've heard using Dynamat in the doors is too heavy and causes sensor problems. Open to all ideas.
I don't have a solution here, only a rant. I can't believe that the "world's most technologically advanced car" doesn't have noise cancellation. I rode in a 2005 Acura RL once that did, and sound-wise, it was like sitting in your living room while going down a concrete highway at 80 mph. Seems to me like Tesla wasted a lot of money developing ContiSilent when they should have used existing (probably out of patent) technology.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Our new MX is nice and quiet at motorway speeds (70-80 mph). Sure I can hear a little tyre and wind noise, but nothing excessive. It's on standard 20" rims and OEM Michelin tyres. Standard air suspension too. It is worth noting that some road surfaces are much worse than others for tyre noise, but that's the same in any car. One thing I have noticed is that when it's massively windy outside, you don't notice in the MX until you open a door. So I think it's pretty well insulated from wind noise.

Related to specific noises. My Late Nov 2017 build X 100D has a vibration like noise coming from the dash near the glove box. It sounds like you want to touch the dash to stop it. Comes and goes but most common on cement freeway (not asphalt) at any speed. I know there is lots of electronics in the dash. Has anyone had a similar noise and found the cause.

I have no idea but if it were available and not too expensive I would do it

I can't see the Model X windscreen being anything other than massively expensive! I very much doubt there are any aftermarket glass options for a Model X. I actually wonder if the standard Tesla glass is insulated as it does seem very quiet to me. It was blowing a strong gale the other day and I was totally oblivious of the high wind until I opened the door! But then again rain falling on the top of the glass screen makes quite a lot of noise, so who knows?

Just picked up our inv 2017 MX 100D today.

Traded in our MS. First thing noted in the first 5 min on the road is how much more road and wind noise there is especially at highway speeds. Is it the windshield that allows this?

I was quite surprised and it caught me off guard.
Anyone ease with both MS and MX have this same issue?

Other than that beautiful!

Just picked up our inv 2017 MX 100D today.

Traded in our MS. First thing noted in the first 5 min on the road is how much more road and wind noise there is especially at highway speeds. Is it the windshield that allows this?

I was quite surprised and it caught me off guard.
Anyone ease with both MS and MX have this same issue?

Other than that beautiful!

You might expect a bit more wind noise on the MX vs MS due to the considerably larger frontal area. But you would expect road noise to be very similar - are you running 22" wheels on your MX by any chance?

You might expect a bit more wind noise on the MX vs MS due to the considerably larger frontal area. But you would expect road noise to be very similar - are you running 22" wheels on your MX by any chance?

No just stock 20”. Same highway as MS and definitely more wind noise and more street noise. While driving , from the passenger side it’s like I can hear most ice engines as I pass them and at a traffic light. Ie. as if one window is open half an inch...but it’s not. Checked all seals and seem good.