Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone already crossed the Alps?
This summer I would like to cross the St.Gotthard, and down to Locarno. - that is about 1700m ascension and about 125km up to the pass, then 90km and 1800m down to the Sc at Lugano.
Should I supercharge my X100 at Beckenried or will it make it the 125km to the top with 100% charge?
Any opinion?

Just completed our second 4800 mile trip from Port Townsend to southern Arizona and up the coast. (19,000 miles on X in 9.5 months) Had to wait for a charge exactly one time (San Diego) and had range anxiety once--heading from Tucson to San Diego against head winds and the Gila Bend SC reported out of service. We starting the trip showing 25% remaining at El Centro, but within 30 miles it was down to 7%. We probably would have made it, but stopped in to Gila Bend just for kicks. Turns out the SC was working. Called Tesla. They had it down for repairs because of inconsistent power. Lesson: if down and you need it, try it anyhow :) BTW: It's totally easy now to come all the way up 101 using SCs - all the way to Port Townsend (thanks to the new Aberdeen SC.)

First X-Country Trip in our MX:
We are far from the first Tesla owners to have made a multi-thousand mile trip, so there will be no new insights or revelations here. But we do want to add our experience to encyclopedia of Tesla cross country trips. The comfort, acceleration, handling and quietness of the MX made this trip an absolute joy, but were not the top reasons I was so excited about this trip. Even if the car were a 1975 Vega, but all electric, the idea that we could seamlessly travel over 2800 miles round-trip without using a drop of gas excited me to no end. This has been a dream for over 50 years, since my childhood, and I never thought I would see it in my lifetime.
Being afflicted with a chronic disease known as "engineer," I was forced to capture reams of data on this trip. I won't bore you with the details, but just provide the highlights below:

Trip Overview: 2887 miles round trip from Colorado Springs, CO (eastern slope of the Rockies) to Seattle, WA. Weather ranged from sunny and 68 degrees F, to blowing snow and 32 degrees. We drove through quite a bit of rain with a large number of Pacific storm systems flowing through all states we traveled in. The route took us over 3 major mountain ranges-- the Rockies in Colorado, the Wasatch in Utah, and Cascades in Washington. Speeds were the posted limits-- 65 mph to 80 mph. Used only Superchargers except for when in Seattle where there are none. In Seattle we used a Tesla destination charger (64 amp) at a public parking lot under an office building (located using the PlugShare app). Family of 4 with luggage.

Car Overview: Summer 2016 delivery MX 75D, 20" wheels. Suspension set to drop to Low at 70 mph.

Data: For each leg between charges we logged the following-- distance, avg speed, starting State of Charge (% and miles), ending SOC (% and miles), net elevation gain, road conditions (wet, standing water, snow, dry, etc), average winds (from Tesla Waze app), exterior temperature, interior climate control settings, range mode (on or off), and max charging rate at Superchargers.

Total Trip Stats: 2887.4 miles, efficiency= 322 Wh/mile
Most Efficient Leg: Silverthorne, CO to Glenwood Springs, CO, 225 Wh/mile, dry road, -2990 ft elevation change, 70 mph, 45 deg F exterior temp, front climate control only set to 60 degrees, range mode off, average 2 mph headwind.
Least Efficient Leg: Green River, UT to Grand Junction, CO, 376 Wh/mile, dry road, +1234 ft elevation change, 75 mph avg), 44 deg F exterior temp, front climate control only set to 60 degrees, range mode off, average 1 mph headwind. This was a leg after an overnight stop. At our other 3 overnight stops, I would charge to 80% on arrival the night before, then charge another 10% to 15% in the morning to warm the battery. I did not do a morning charge on this leg and believe that battery warming contributed to the higher consumption. Overnight temps were in the low 30s.

Superchargers:
- At all but two SCs, we were able to get the maximum 90 to 96 kW charging rate (max for 60 and 75 kWh battery packs).
- Favorite SC: by far it was Twin Falls, ID. The SC is at the town welcome center which sits on the rim of the massive Snake River Canyon with stunning scenery. Two large shopping areas within walking distance offer many dining options, but we used the picnic tables with the view of the canyon.
- We used the technique of only charging to where we could reach the next SC with 15% reserve as shown on the on-board charging screen. This worked great. The exceptions were the dinner stops where we took on a full charge while eating and were able to skip a SC stop.
- We used hotels at or near SCs for all overnight stops in Tremonton, UT; Ellensburg, WA; Boise, ID; and Green River, UT. We weren't disappointed with any of them.

Planning Tools: I did pre-trip planning on EV Trip Planner to get the big picture. During the trip we relied on the on-board computer, and used the EV Trip Optimizer (EVTO) app on my phone for a sanity check. We had a Plan B (RV sites, J1772 etc) for all legs from PlugShare, but there were 2 long stretches of desert with no other backup options. EVTO and the car matched fairly closely, with EVTO being a little more conservative. This was most likely due to us needing less climate control in the car than what I loaded in the app. We found that solar gain during the cold days was sufficient to heat the car so we only used the minimum needed for defogging (I couldn't get everyone to stop breathing...). We got used to what we call the computer "10 minutes of insanity" where just after starting a new leg, the charge at destination reading will drop 5 or 6% then come back up and show a higher reading than when we started, then settle back down and ultimately give us a reading to within +/- 1% of the original number. This was accurate on every leg.

Pleasant Surprises: We absolutely love Slacker streaming audio. The interstate highways are fairly well covered with cell service and we lost signal only 3 or 4 times in the mountains where we went to USB music backup. Being that the MX replaced a '93 Plymouth minivan with AM/FM radio and cassette deck (if you're under 45, you can Google what that is), the ability to drive into the mountains and deserts and not have to constantly search for a radio signal (only to get a farm report when you find one) was fantastic.

The most pleasant surprise, however, was how painless and seamless this EV trip was. In 24 SC stops, we waited for the car only 2 or 3 times, and even then it was no more than 10 minutes. The rest of the time, the car was ready by the time we finished with bathroom breaks, eating, stretching etc. There were SC stops that we could have skipped because of sufficient charge, but we found that we needed the bathroom breaks anyway. We are hooked on this car!

Took delivery of our X75D two weeks ago, just completed a road trip over a week from the Bay Area to LA to Vegas to LA and back. There's a lot that's been covered already, so I'll just post my stand out notes here.

- Checking multiple trip planners is pretty useful to get someone comfortable with the range of one charge. I used the in-car nav, abetterrouteplanner.com, evtripping.com and the EVTO app. They all generally say the same thing.
- The X75D is actually pretty suitable for travel in California with how built out the supercharger network is.
- The only majorly anxiety ridden parts are getting between Barstow and Vegas and leaving LA to head to Buttonwillow.
- The wind between Barstow and Primm is pretty nuts! With temps in the 80s you can still lose 15-20% battery charge to headwinds.
- That said, charging at the Las Vegas Supercharger at the south end of the strip gave us enough at 95-100% to get to Barstow without hitting Primm. A supercharger at Baker would make the trip totally easy, if it existed.
- We were also able to leave LA from the Anaheim area with 75% charge and still make it to Buttonwillow without hitting Tejon or Bakersfield, without compromising any speed.
- Only Barstow on Saturday during lunch ever had any wait for a charger.

- Planning where you can plug in with PlugShare is pretty handy. There are still free chargers around depending on where you go. In Vegas the premium outlets north of the strip had a measly two spots for a busy mall, but at least it was free. Springs Preserve had 4 spots for free. In LA it's harder to find the free chargers it seems, but it is handy to grab a charging spot in Disneyland's Mickey and Friends parking structure.

- Taking more frequent driving breaks does feel better for the soul, just because you CAN drive 400 miles straight in an ICE doesn't mean you should.

- It is a revelation to hit the Grapevine heading uphill at 80+ mph and head all the way up without skipping a beat. Yes the Wh/mile was off the charts over 1000, but worth it. Built up a big charge at Tejon, so I wanted to try it out!

- The windshield is parts amazing and parts almost intolerable. When the sun is in it, it's hot like a greenhouse and the glare almost necessitates the driver and passenger in the front to wear sunglasses. Sometimes the climate control set the front fan to 8 and the rear to 2, which goes to show how much heat is beating down on the front. When the sun is elsewhere, it's beautiful.

- TACC in AP2 8.1 is pretty great, saves a lot of focus for the driver. It accelerates faster than I want it to, only caveat.

- AutoSteer in AP2 8.1 is very raw. I did use it up to 80mph and while it did its job for the most part, it didn't earn my trust completely. Nothing bad happened with it on, I just wasn't comfortable enough with it to find out where bad things could happen with my family in the car. It's jerky a little bit, a little bit reactionary. It doesn't work well against a crosswind blowing the car off the center lane. It doesn't account for large trucks in the neighboring lane, so I never felt safe with it while passing trucks. Many times I felt it hewed a little too far right, but that's probably me normally hewing left. Changing lanes with it was unrefined.

We're learning lots of little things that are odd to us with the design and practical aspects of the car, but the overall impression is that it's a pretty good SUV type car for hauling a family with a lot more space for cargo than we're used to with the Prius V wagon.

Just came back from Yosemite in our X. We stopped at Tejon then decided not to take the risk of making it to Fresno with our 60D so we went to Buttonwillow then took the 41 to Fresno and charged there. We averaged 80-85MPH using AP 99% of the way. We got to fresno with 14% and charged to 65% to make it to the Fish Camp SC where we were staying. The next day we went into the park and got to the Majestic Yosemite with 85%. (You lose 2-3k elevation) and charged at the 80A destination charger while we had lunch. On our way home we went from Fish Camp to Harris Ranch then to Tejon. Over the Grapevine we were at 80MPH and our wh/mi was through the roof. We had no problems with supercharger availability as we didn't have to share a charger anywhere.

We are going to be heading back to Destin, FL from Austin, TX this year. I will make stops at Columbus TX, Channelview TX, Lake Charles LA, Baton Rouge LA, Slidell LA, Mobile AL either coming or going. I just got a NEMA 14-50 installed at my mom's house in Louisiana too so that helps to get a full charge overnight before we embark.
I've been using this luggage carrier and carrier bag now and they work great.
Amazon.com: Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2" Receivers: Automotive
Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive
I can fit a lot of suitcases in here and bigger items. The softer items for the beach I stuff in the Frunk.

-Logan

I have made two Bay Area to SoCal trips and one Bay Area to Tahoe trip since purchasing my Model X 75D. Here are a few notes:

1. Supercharging network makes these trips a breeze, forcing me to take a timeout from my usual go 400 until gas is near empty philosophy in an ICE vehicle. I found myself more refreshed when we got to our destination! I would have never realized this if it wasn't for my Tesla!

2. One case of range anxiety leaving Tahoe at 80%. We were down to 15% once we hit the downhill, and made it to Rocklin with 6% left. It was windy and snowy that day, so lesson learned to Supercharge to 100% on that trek.

3. In our SoCal trips, the front of the Tesla murders lots of bugs with the corpses remaining on the front of the vehicle. No different from an ICE, but so much more noticeable on my beautiful Tesla! Make sure to wash your car shortly after the roundtrip is complete!

3. The sun shines the front seats, so we adjusted climate control to 6 to combat the sunrays. The panoramic windows are awesome, just had to adjust to the sun being a presence.

4. The Zombie Apocalyse air-conditioning feature works in Coalinga! No manure smells made it into my Tesla!

5. Harris Ranch staff can identify Tesla owners pretty easily, especially us who hang out in the hallway while our Tesla supercharges.

6. Using Cruise Control and Autosteer (in spots) adds a new element to driving through California. I'm less stressed, but won't trust it completely. It's helpful when I need to stretch or look at the center console.

7. The kids are very comfortable in the vehicle. I was worried they would get sick on long drives, but happy to report they were completely relaxed and comfortable!

8. The biggest adjustment is how much longer it takes to travel due to having to Supercharge. As I noted earlier, I've found myself less tired due to the Tesla forcing me to take a driving break. I've learned to pre-plan my trip with Supercharging time part of the equation.

A 10mph headwind at 80mph makes a huge difference in efficiency. What would normally be about 350 Wh/mi becomes more like 450 Wh/mi. Had to do extra charging at Tejon and Harris Ranch that I wasn't expecting to while heading north on I-5 yesterday.
It's amazing how much wind does effect range. Since its the power of 2, when you get up to these higher speeds it really takes it's effect.

I have found myself with semi truck love on more than one occasion with heavy head winds and long supercharger spacing.

Just completed my first trip from Irvine to the East Bay Area and back this past weekend:

Northbound-
- First leg to Tejon Ranch = avg 382 wh/mi
- Second leg to Harris Ranch = avg 411 wh/mi
- Third leg to Gustine = avg 414 wh/mi
- Final leg to east bay = avg 422

Southbound-
-First leg to Gustine = avg 366 wh/mi
-Second leg to Harris Ranch = avg 437 wh/mi
-Third leg to Tejon Ranch = 425 wh/mi
-Fourth leg to Culver City = 316 wh/mi
Final leg to Irvine = 360 wh/mi

This is a 90D with 22" wheels, new tires (5K miles on them). Range mode off and AC set to 74 the entire trip. Autopilot used rarely (10% of the time) and I tried to keep my speed between 75 and 80 mph. And I probably stopped a little too often as this was my first real "long" trip.

Was pretty windy out there as gnguyen posted, the X can get pushed around quite easily. The third leg heading southbound shows my highest wh/mi average......I was on the throttle quite heavy that leg as my daughter was getting anxious to stop and I was hungry. I would guess that leg probably averaged closer to 90 mph.

Anyone already crossed the Alps?
This summer I would like to cross the St.Gotthard, and down to Locarno. - that is about 1700m ascension and about 125km up to the pass, then 90km and 1800m down to the Sc at Lugano.
Should I supercharge my X100 at Beckenried or will it make it the 125km to the top with 100% charge?
Any opinion?

Crossed the alps 4 times in my Model S P85+, no problems whatsoever - you will make it if you charge 200km before the top or 250km even I think. Especially with an X 100D (I also own an X100D now and I find it has a range of at least 10% if not 15% more than the P85+)

Driving from LA-West Yellowstone, Montana this summer. Meanwhile just got back from vegas!
IMG_7228.JPG.jpeg

Could not figure out how to get the X positioned into this photo, but thought it was worth sharing anyway. This is the view of the Snake River from the Tesla Supercharger in Twin Falls, Idaho late in the afternoon in early June 2017. It's more amazing than this picture suggests. Yes, this is the same Snake River you'll encounter in Wyoming and Washington (before it joins with the Columbia River).

The weather you see off in the distance turned into a fierce dust and windstorm that evening. Nevertheless, I still made it to Boise just fine.

IMG_9163s.jpg

Could not figure out how to get the X positioned into this photo, but thought it was worth sharing anyway. This is the view of the Snake River from the Tesla Supercharger in Twin Falls, Idaho late in the afternoon in early June 2017. It's more amazing than this picture suggests. Yes, this is the same Snake River you'll encounter in Wyoming and Washington (before it joins with the Columbia River).

The weather you see off in the distance turned into a fierce dust and windstorm that evening. Nevertheless, I still made it to Boise just fine.

View attachment 230919
How is the bugs on the front. Need to get a clear bra on the car.

How is the bugs on the front. Need to get a clear bra on the car.

Oh, my. This was an especially "buggy" trip. I've learned on these extended to road trips to carry some "bug wash" with me and clean the windshield somewhat at every charging stop.

The aforementioned dust storm did quite a number on the front air-intake of the X. I did not get a picture, but the entire "inlet" was packed with tumbleweed debris that was unavoidable during the drive to Boise from Twin Falls back on June 4. Fortunately my vehicle is protected with a full wrap and was not scratched or otherwise damaged, but I did not hand protection to break apart and remove the tumbleweed debris that had packed itself into the air intake.

If you do plan to take your vehicle on an extended road trip, I highly recommend investing in a wrap or bra protection for at least the front sections (including the hood).

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Oh, my. This was an especially "buggy" trip. I've learned on these extended to road trips to carry some "bug wash" with me and clean the windshield somewhat at every charging stop.

The aforementioned dust storm did quite a number on the front air-intake of the X. I did not get a picture, but the entire "inlet" was packed with tumbleweed debris that was unavoidable during the drive to Boise from Twin Falls back on June 4. Fortunately my vehicle is protected with a full wrap and was not scratched or otherwise damaged, but I did not hand protection to break apart and remove the tumbleweed debris that had packed itself into the air intake.

If you do plan to take your vehicle on an extended road trip, I highly recommend investing in a wrap or bra protection for at least the front sections (including the hood).
Our car may be totaled
ACCIDENT!!!
so on the new one putting a front one on. Taking the new one to montana when it comes. Yellowstone and Tetons. I saw you did that before too. Did it last year but flew and now I want to take the X.