Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Service - Long Queue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my MX towards the end of March. There were 3 due bill items that I found in the factory pickup. Over the next week, upon closer inspection, I found another ~22 issues, plus the recall of 3rd row seats. Early April, I went over my local SC and they said that their manager was only allowing a single MX per week in the shop and so the next available slot was April 25th.

My car has been there since the 25th and yesterday I found out that it was 4th in line to be inspected. To be clear, nobody has even looked at the car between the 25th and 4th. The service manager told me that 4th would mean that it would likely be looked at either today or tomorrow. He also said the current backup is 2 to 3 weeks.

Besides the above, the communication has been less than stellar. I called the Wednesday before bringing it into the shop to confirm that a loaner would be available. They said that the service rep would call me on Friday or Saturday and they never did. When I brought it in, they told me they were backed up and would probably be 2 days before they could look at it and then give me a call. I left with a Chrysler since they have no Tesla loaners. On Friday 29th, I called and they said a service manager would return my call. Never did. On Monday the 2nd, I called and they said a service manager would return my call. Never did. I called again on Wednesday the 4th and they said a service manager would return my call. At this point, I told them that I hadn't received a call back the first 2 times. About 10 minutes later, the service manager called me and gave me the info in the 2nd paragraph.

Of course it's disappointing. But mostly I want Tesla to address the 25 issues. That would make me a happy customer. We'll see how it goes.

They said that the service rep would call me on Friday or Saturday and they never did.
I've had this experience as well at the Costa Mesa SC. After a week with no call back (and a few calls/voice mails into them) I drove into the SC yesterday morning and spoke with Tanya at reception. I was ready to get angry; however, she was too delightful and I chickened out. When I shared my frustration, she was super apologetic and grabbed a service advisor to review my issues. She also helped coordinate a mobile "ranger" service team to come to my office the same day to replace my third row seats (the ones that were recalled). Roger from the team came down within a few hours of my stop into the SC and replace the seats (photo here).

She helped me book an appointment to review/repair the laundry list of many small items, and arranged it to be when I have a business trip so as to minimize the time without a vehicle. We'll see if they can repair the items while they have it, but I'm hopefully optimistic.

What SC are you taking the vehicle to and experiencing these issues?

I'm not sure why they would ask you to bring in the car on the 25th of April and not look at it till now. I understand the back up but not returning calls and keeping the car for weeks and not even look at it is unacceptable. I spent my career in the automotive service business and would never have done something like this. Let's hope Tesla gets a handle on this soon, not many customers who buy the Model 3 will be very happy with this service and communication level. For that matter anyone who buys any Tesla would not be happy.

My experience at Coata Mesa has been the complete opposite. They did have my X for about two weeks, but I received an email every evening about the progress. I also did two pop-ins recently (after getting it back) for small issues that they took care of in the driveway.

It's Palo Alto, but I think this is more a result of shipping out lots of MX at end of Q1 in Bay Area. I suspect many of them have issues like mine. Perhaps a better approach would have been to bring it to the factory.

One thing I can say is that the service advisor told me that the previous person is no longer with Tesla which I'm sure didn't help. I'm keeping a positive frame of mind, at least until they get back to me on the issues.

Took mine in on 4/25 to Palo Alto, just got it back today. They were nice enough to bring me an S as a loaner and pickup the X. Did not make into the service bay until yesterday afternoon, fixed the recall and twisted seat belt but everything else requires parts and answers from Tesla. My main concern is item 3 which has not been addressed. Here is the summary of work:

Job Number Description Of Work Amount (USD)

Concern: Replace 3rd Row Seatbacks

Corrections: Replace 3rd Row Seatbacks

Replaced seatbacks per bulletin

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

3RD ROW SEAT BACK, RH, TAN, SERVICE

(1091084-03-A)

3RD ROW SEAT BACK, LH, TAN, SERVICE

(1091079-03-A)

BOLT, TORX, M10x28.4 (1022449-00-A) 8

WSHR FL M10x24x3 [10]-G720 (1055365-00-

B)

BOLT M12 X 21.5 TORX LK PC10.9 BZ

(1068442-00-A)

MX 3R ASSY TRAY CABLE LH (1068161-00-

A)

MX 3R ASSY TRAY CABLE RH (1068160-00-

A)

SCREW M5 X 65 PAN PC4.4 CZ (1073271-

00-A)

NUT HEX M5x5 STL NYLOC (1073325-00-A) 4

BLIND RIVET, 4.8x1.5-9.5, STL, BLK

(1076298-00-A)

WASHER, 13MM OD, 5.3MM ID, T=3MM

(1088730-00-A)

Pay Type: Warranty

RONC9870016009 05-May-2016 10:24 a.m. 1 of 5

Concern: Check Tire Pressure per CA mandate

Corrections: Check and Adjust Tire Pressure - CA MANDATE

checked and set tire pressures to manufactures specification.

Pay Type: Goodwill

Concern: Perform courtesy inspection.

Corrections: Courtesy Inspection

performed courtesy inspection check list.

Pay Type: Goodwill

Concern: Customer states: Door has poor visual alignment (FL). Customer reports the Left

Falcon wing door and the front Left door at the very top has poor alignment. The section for

the front door is higher then the falcon door section. Customer request to check and advise.

Corrections: NO LABOR PERFORMED

no labor performed, currently no fix available at this time.

RONC9870016009 05-May-2016 10:24 a.m. 2 of 5

Concern: Customer states: Customer reports the 2nd row seat belt on the left (driver's side

seat is twisted. Customer request to check seat belt and advise.

Corrections: Seat Belts General Diagnosis

twisted seatbelt back to normal position.

Concern: Customer states: Customer reports while driving especially at night, there is a Halo

affect, or a double image affect from the front windshield. Customer request to check and

advise.

Corrections: Windshield Liftgate Glass and Body Glass General Diagnosis

confirmed customers complaint and found that engineering is aware and working on a fix

for this issue.

Concern: Customer states: Customer reports the front seat cooler or cooling system has very

poor operation. Seat coolers do not work very well. Please check and advise.

Corrections: Cabin HVAC General Diagnosis

tested both front seat coolers and compared to another Model X and found them to be

workign as designed.

RONC9870016009 05-May-2016 10:24 a.m. 3 of 5

Concern: Customer states: Customer reports the falcon door bright work molding has poor

fitment and or alignment, Customer request to check the bright work and also the door itself

for poor alignment and advise.

Corrections: Adjustment General Diagnosis

confirmed customers complaint and found that the bright work will need to be replaced.

part will need to be ordered. special order part not available currently.

Concern: Customer states: Customer reports the bright work molding on the rear left at the

very end of the vehicle or quarter panel has very poor fitment and alignment with the rest of

the trims. Please check and advise.

right rear corner glass and v shaped bright work will need to be ordered before performing

work. need to remove glass and adjust guide pin to correct issue.

Concern: Customer states: Customer reports the driver's window generates a very loud

noise, grinding, moaning, groaning type noise while in operation, rolling up. Customer request

to check operation and advise.

front bright work will need to be ordered. bottom of brightwork is contacting window as it

rolls up.

Service Center hourly rate: USD 175.00

All parts are new unless otherwise specified.

Notes:

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
I got my Tesla Model X early this year. Since then, it has been a disaster for me because of many problems I have encountered. I paid around $140k out of door cost. But to this date, I only drove it for about a few weeks.

People would want to ask why I would have this kind of problem. It is because I think Tesla does not have an adequate team for customer service for Model X. I can sit here telling you all the problems I had with this new SUV. Just want to tell you my repair experience with this car.

It takes Tesla a few months for getting the repair parts to my repair shop -- while the shop was waiting, Tesla never gave us any kind of indication as to when the parts are going to arrive.

Then, it is the so-called repair "protocol" the shop has to have before anything can be done on it. Tesla does not have them -- at least they don't have the ones that are needed for repairing my SUV. It's been a month now since the shop told me that they had the parts from Tesla, but not the complete protocol to repair my car. BTW, my car only incurred a small accident on the right doors that slightly hit a hydrant while I made a slow right turn at a parking lot. There is no mark whatsoever on the hydrant, but my doors have to be replaced because the system keeps giving me a warning for not driving the car.

After more than four months, I still have no idea when the shop can actually receive the "protocol" so that they can start to repair the car. I tried many times to call and write to the customer service center; some wrote me back and told me they would bring this issue to higher level people. As to calling the 24-hour service center and trying to express my concerns, I never had the luck to talk with any real people who can help.

I feel like there would be no end for this as far as the troubles go with this car. On another note, my local service center was calling me to take the car back to their shop for a factory recall because of a back seat flaw,

Not sure anyone here could tell me what I can do to really get the Tesla management team attention to improving their customer service and after-care.

I said it in a different thread and I will say it again. Though my service center has been great to me with a couple little issues I had with my car (except well the ghosting and thats not the service centers problem) , I think Tesla needs to stop going into new markets and focus on their current markets, by adding more people and more sc's in areas where they currently operate. I think they have done an amazing job, but you can't expect them to put out a car like the model x and be so un-prepared to handle the traffic. Tesla and Elon need to understand that many of us are coming from brands like porsche, toyota, lexus, mercedes etc.. and even though I will probably NEVER buy another car ever that is not a Tesla, many customers are probably going to go back to those brands when they make electric cars comparable to Tesla if they are not satisfied with service. It's something Elon needs to take very seriously and focus alot more energy and hours of his busy schedule to. I don't think the Model 3 customer is any different than the Model X or S customer. Money is money, and service is service, period. Service should be Tesla's number #1 priority. ALWAYS.