Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. Auto-cleaning - A rotating lens ensures that environmental factors won't interfere with the capabilities of the camera...

I don't think this is reasonable. It's not on current rear view mirrors, even though there are small wipers for headlights \ /

The problem is safety measures never go away. No legislator wants to be the one who "got Jonny killed" when the inevitable freak accident occurs. TSA anyone?

That says to me we will provably see the (shudder) hybrid model first (like the Chinese van I saw) that has both the rear view mirror and a small camera looking back. Only after years of both would the mirror get smaller an smaller and eventually be OK'd to eliminate. If it happen at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Elon, the side mirrors may still make it to production on the Model X.

http://jalopnik.com/5939228/ask-elo...nt-about-nikola-tesla-tesla-motors-and-spacex

Well I bet the cameras make it. But I would think they might come WITH some standard mirrors. Although with the new Obama/EPA efficiency standards they may be forced to relax the mirror laws and allow cameras, to help out the manufacturers.

Autos must average 54.5 mpg by 2025, new EPA standards say - The Washington Post

Actually it is - the figure that the transportation department uses is $6 million per life saved. (EPA is $7 million, FDA is $8 million).

So using 2006 gas consumption figures (I'm too lazy to look up new ones...), saving fuel by 5% would be worth 1'875 lives. In other words, saving fuel by 5% would free up enough money to save 1'875 lives. (Via projects such as providing lights on dark highways, installing traffic lights, widening roads etc.). So if you cause less than 1'875 fatalities by changing the mirror system it's worth it, otherwise it's not.

I know this is a simplification - spending less on fuel would cut transportation tax revenues which have to be made up. But I'd rather spend 5% extra on transportation taxes that go into road improvements than 5% extra on oil.

New Mirrors on the Model X

Just watched the Video of the Model X at Garden State Plaza, and noticed that the mirrors appear to be the same as those in the S. Since - from what I understand - the "camera mirrors" are not DOT legal, this may be the first look at the X with regular mirrors.

Just watched the Video of the Model X at Garden State Plaza, and noticed that the mirrors appear to be the same as those in the S. Since - from what I understand - the "camera mirrors" are not DOT legal, this may be the first look at the X with regular mirrors.

The Model X has had normal mirrors on the site for a while:

hero-own-4v-msmx.png

It was also at the Supercharger unveil with normal mirrors:

377370_10151183770707801_1996892666_n.jpg

and in a pic vfx posted a while back of it in the design studio (in white)

*edit* my bad, the VFX pic still had camera mirrors, but here's another of it with the mirrors from back in LA

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196856.879474.jpg

Lamborghini put side cameras on its prototype SUV, so if Tesla goes with this they won't be alone in the regulatory fight. My bet is that they will be offered as an option in the tech package.

I think this discussion is missing an important point. If the X had sideview cameras, the image would seem to have to be in the center cluster as shown on the rendering of the interior. That might be ok and "learnable" but the model S has shown us how valuable that screen real estate is, with turn-by-turn nav and other useful info like media if you select it. If the sideview images were just and option, you essentially would have no mirror at all.

I think this discussion is missing an important point. If the X had sideview cameras, the image would seem to have to be in the center cluster as shown on the rendering of the interior. That might be ok and "learnable" but the model S has shown us how valuable that screen real estate is, with turn-by-turn nav and other useful info like media if you select it. If the sideview images were just and option, you essentially would have no mirror at all.

IIRC the mirrors were on the LCD in front of the steering wheel.

After spending many hours of seat time in my father's S, I really don't see how the instrument panel would be able to handle side mirrors as well as, unless there was an additional HUD.

I'm constantly glancing at my mirrors when I drive, whether I change lanes or not. But I guess it depends on your driving habits.

Lamborghini put side cameras on its prototype SUV, so if Tesla goes with this they won't be alone in the regulatory fight. My bet is that they will be offered as an option in the tech package.

This would be a good idea. The same option could be offered for Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

After spending many hours of seat time in my father's S, I really don't see how the instrument panel would be able to handle side mirrors as well as, unless there was an additional HUD.

I'm constantly glancing at my mirrors when I drive, whether I change lanes or not. But I guess it depends on your driving habits.

An additional HUD would be ok in my opinion. Maybe that with this side cameras system also the blind spot could be detected.

Tesla could have the side view mirror view only activate when you put the turn indicator on. That would keep the real estate free on the center cluster for other information.

Why would you do this? You need the mirrors/camera to decide whether it is safe to change lanes or simply to know what is around you. The camera/mirror helps you decide if it safe to turn your turn indicator on. I am always amazed that so many people put their turn indicator on as they change lanes. What good does that do? Your supposed to use them "before" you do anything so everyone else knows what your going to do not what you've done.

Why would you do this? You need the mirrors/camera to decide whether it is safe to change lanes or simply to know what is around you. The camera/mirror helps you decide if it safe to turn your turn indicator on. I am always amazed that so many people put their turn indicator on as they change lanes. What good does that do? Your supposed to use them "before" you do anything so everyone else knows what your going to do not what you've done.

In many places the very act of turning on your signal will cause drivers to fill in that gap you were going to slide into. Can't give them too much warning. You're from Boston, you must see that every day.

In many places the very act of turning on your signal will cause drivers to fill in that gap you were going to slide into. Can't give them too much warning. You're from Boston, you must see that every day.

Don't disagree, but my point was to activate the camera only when you turn your blinker is not a good idea. (I really should say the idea is nuts but that might get me moved to the snippiness thread) The whole point of the camera is to see if it is safe to change lanes then you activate your turn signal. Then again if you only rely on your mirror/camera to make driving decisions you may not be the safest driver to begin with. And I say this having driven in Boston traffic for 40 years without an accident of any kind. I'm sure part of that was during my training when my Dad would constantly tell me to use the mirror and to check with my own eyes:wink: