Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that would be a good way to make the transition. I can see MUCH more with the camera than the rear view mirror. But I'd like the projection to be up (similar to the mirror position), rather than looking down. (My eyes aren't off the road.) For the side mirrors, I'd vote on the display being in the upper corners of the windshield, respectively.

Perhaps even a heads up display of the image in the driver and passenger windows. I guess that would be a problem if the window was down though.

If you're going to have the cameras rather than the mirrors, then they need to pop out when the cars is on and retract when the car is off. it's only going to take one bicyclist who missed seeing that little camera or one car (probably a van) that gets it's side ripped open to put a really bad taste in people's mouths about it. I can just see the headlines.

If you're going to have the cameras rather than the mirrors, then they need to pop out when the cars is on and retract when the car is off. it's only going to take one bicyclist who missed seeing that little camera or one car (probably a van) that gets it's side ripped open to put a really bad taste in people's mouths about it. I can just see the headlines.

No cyclist is going to ride that close to cars for too long - get doored once, and they'll learn (had that lesson when I was 12).

Yeah I got doored once in College. I won't ride within 3 feet of a parked car at speed. In fact I have been clipped by bus mirrors on 3 occasions (twice on bike, once walking). I would be all for lower profile rearview systems.

The beta at Fashion Island was converted with Model S mirrors. They looked pretty natural on the X.

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

It's been known for some time that the side mounted cameras would never pass regulatory approval. They're a neat idea, and better than mirrors, but unless you have $500,000 minimum to pay the lawmakers to get the law changed, it won't happen.

Subjective looks aside...yes, I know the car looks better with ears...

To push this through...It will take lobbying for sure, but I'm amazed their isn't a "safety commission" or the like that wouldn't be pushing this.

I'll make the argument that side/rear view always on cameras *should* be *better* than physical mirrors. And it's the *should* which requires trial and error, design iteration, innovation and market demand analysis.

Consider this...Hypothetically, what if the cost to put in all cameras and no mirrors was substantially in favor of cameras? Say somehow safety mirrors were way more expensive. There would be a push to implement cameras or something other than mirrors to offset the cost while keeping safety as high or higher than mirrors. Since this is not the case, we keep the mirrors.

I'll say it another way...What if airbags become so cheap, efficient and reliable that we don't need to install seatbelts anymore? That day may never come but it's really the same issue. Which is "we have this great safety thing, being seatbelts, but we think *now* there's a better solution. This is going to happen more and more as we push technology into our cars. We should have a better way to bring this tech to cars quicker and with greater certainty of it's intrinsic value.

And you'll need to convince people like this: Why Mandatory Rearview Cameras Won't Stop Backover Deaths - MSN Autos

I for one, am convinced, because having cameras, instead of mirrors *seems* like it would be much safer.

Here's my wacky notion. I would pay up to $2000 for having both mirrors and cameras installed on my Model X **IF** the ability of those cameras is substantial and included features like this:
1. Traffic mapping - each camera can detect and track vehicles in several lanes of traffic up to 300 feet behind so at a glance the driver can be aware of what is behind their vehicle.
2. Auto-headlight sensitivity - Drivers visibility won't be impaired or diminished by bright headlights from glare.
3. Auto-cleaning - A rotating lens ensures that environmental factors won't interfere with the capabilities of the camera
4. Natural-view - The viewing angle is much wider than conventional mirrors allowing the driver to see more of the road behind and does NOT need to be magnified to objects are NOT closer than they appear. They will actually appear to be how close they actually are. :biggrin:

"Personal responsibility"??? The guy's assumption that deaths are simply due to irresponsible and inattentive people is ludicrous. If you can't SEE, how can you possibly know if a small child just walked behind your car? It might have been clear before you got in the machine, but things can change quickly.