Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the top view it would appear that the 17" screen is not fully integrated into the dash. It is floating and angled towards the driver

No it's a trick of perspective, mostly because the screen doesn't have an image on it. If you look at the Model S design studio UHF Sound render you can see that the S and X dashboards are exactly identical.

2015-09-01_17h17_47.png

It looks like the chrome pillar that the 2nd row seats are attached to are adjustable and can be moved all the way to the rear as far as possible. The seats themselves would then need to be moved all the way back in relation to this chrome pillar. Then, you can see a slot on the vertical pillar where the seats should be able to pivot forward and hopefully lie horizontal. The 3rd row would simply fold forward.

You would never want the 2nd or 3rd row seats to fold backwards, exposing the leather. The leather needs to be protected from whatever you're transporting, so the back of the seats always need to be on top.

BTW, with regards to the 360 degree view, I noticed that the Tesla logo on the rear trunk appears to have an embedded camera. Also, earlier mule shots seemed to have cameras on the trim over the front and rear wheels. I think there is plenty of video feed to generate a 360 degree view.

This gets my vote for the most likely scenario for the 2nd row seats. I zoomed all the way in on the back of the 2nd row seats, and I *think* I see a loose-fitting layer of carpeting there, which to me indicates that this is the surface that is the cargo floor when the seat tilts forward.

Also, the 3rd row seat headrests look removable to me, which would make the folded rear seat back more flush with the tilted 2nd row seat back, giving a flat cargo floor.

Played on photoshop a bit. If you look closely there are little lanes to let the seats rotate forward.

Also the floor might indicate that the seats can slide forward and backwards for adjustment.

This configuration would make it simple to get into the third row and would waste very little space for loading when the 3rd row is folded.

2ndrow.png

Things I noticed:

• The 3rd row is on a platform. I had always expected this, as the 3rd row is far enough back that it sits on top of the rear drive unit.
  • For those who do not choose the 3rd row option, my guess is that the 3rd row seats will just be absent, and the top of that platform exposed. What will they do with the 2nd row seats in that situation? Will they be further back, to create more legroom? How does a vehicle without 3rd row seats get a flat cargo surface without 3rd row seats to create it?
  • 3rd row cupholders. My bet is that there are second row cupholders in the back of the center console.
  • Removable 2nd row. The anchor areas for the 2nd row are cut out of the floor, and have a clear edge.
  • The 2nd row slides forward and down to increase cargo space. You can see the slots for the sliding forward seats in the support pillars. Also, with the seats slid forward, do the pillars create a platform on which the 3rd row seats can set?
  • What is the circle control on the front passenger seat?
  • Removable headrests on the 3rd row, but not the 2nd. Will rear visibility be compromised?

Having owned an Odyssey and rented multiple minivans over the years, I've seen a lot of seating configurations. There's a define trade-off between comfort and foldability. The Ody second row seats don't fold flat, you remove them to get the max cargo space. The stow and go seats on other minivans that pull a transformer move and drop into openings in the floor are very uncomfortable.

I have rented a Kia van where the second row did the slide forward and up theory that is being talked about, so that's a possibility, but right now I'm betting on removable.

The other thing I haven't seen mentioned here, and maybe I've overlooked it (sorry if so), is that the adjustment knob for the second row seats shows a fixed seat back/seat bottom coupling. The front row adjustment tool shows them separated. This would sync with those who have the opinion that the seat as a whole is a fixed unit. However, what would be the point in tipping the whole seat backwards with this knob? I have to think the seat bottom slides forward as the rest of the seat tilts, or something similar.

In my opinion, there is something going on with these seats that isn't immediately obvious. The pedestal/bracket situation looks far too interesting to merely be a slider, and this adjustment knob implies there's functionality we aren't yet imagining.

I am going to guess (hope) this is a representative view of the interior as a few things don't quite make sense:
1) They kept the crappy, universally despised set-up for the front cup holders
2) No second row cup holders
3) The dash looks like an exact copy of the MS dash--the cars are different sizes, so its to like they can reuse parts, so assuming this is a photoshop hack
4) From what I can tell, the 2nd row does not seem to match Elon's hype, but that would not be the first time--I kinda like the pedestal thing and I wonder if there is more to it than just aesthetics.

Trying to back in to a base price....

View attachment 92657

Does anyone have any ideas about the "Carbon Fiber Spoiler"? Does that mean the Signature Red image above is not accurate, since the spoiler is red, yet the description says "Carbon Fiber". I think I would prefer a spoiler that's the same as the body colour, just so it would blend in better, especially when it's parked against the read window.