Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, after some digging, I found out that the Model S keeps it's stuff under something like http://my.teslamotors.com/sites/default/...

I wrote some code to check every possible URL, but I'm not sure if it's legal, but if you want to run it (or someone can tell me it's legal), I'll happily give you the code.

Can you define "every possible URL"?

Also, nothing illegal about hitting a public website with requests, but I am not a lawyer. I guess it depends on how many is "every possible URL", because that seems like a nearly infinite number.

The cutout in the carpet does not seem that long, it seems long enough to move the 2nd row seat right up against the 1st row, but no further.

Perhaps the post slides forward with the seat position unchanged (easy access to third row without disrupting installed child carseats) and also can slide the post aft and then the seat slides down the post to tuck underneath the front seat cushions for max cargo.

Oh, looks like Hank beat me to it.

maxwell-smart-missed-it-by-that-much.jpg
:)

Perhaps the post slides forward with the seat position unchanged (easy access to third row without disrupting installed child carseats) and also can slide the post aft and then the seat slides down the post to tuck underneath the front seat cushions for max cargo.

Why tuck the 2nd row seats underneath the 1rst row if the middle 2nd row seat can't be moved (blocked by central console)?

A: It's not part of the seat. Look closely at the chrome trim. It's a single piece from that unit all the way into the vertical support. There's no seam. I think the seat sits on top of that thing.

B: I'm talking about the material behind the buckles, which the seats appear to be hinged around.

I see what you are saying, I think. Item A is a platform that slides forward and back through the slotted areas in the floor carpet. The platform slides back fully, and the seat tilts forward, leaving the platform behind? I can go with that.

Item B is a hinge where the seat back folds forward onto the seat bottom. It pivots there and leaves the seat belt buckles not involved in the seat folding to keep them from interfering. The second row seat belt buckles have room to recess into the seat bottom, but the 3rd row seat is not thick enough at that location to do that.

Why tuck the 2nd row seats underneath the 1rst row if the middle 2nd row seat can't be moved (blocked by central console)?

How is it blocked by the central console?? That's in the front. On the S, the back side of the center console matches the curve of the adjoining seats to give the center passenger the same foot room. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't repeat that basic consideration.

Played on photoshop a bit. If you look closely there are little lanes to let the seats rotate forward.

Also the floor might indicate that the seats can slide forward and backwards for adjustment.

This configuration would make it simple to get into the third row and would waste very little space for loading when the 3rd row is folded.

View attachment 92655

Take the above image and imagine that the pedestal that the seat sits on, is moved all the way back, as far as it can in the groove towards the 3rd row. Now imagine the seat move up along the bar which attaches to the pedestal, and then pivots further forward, hopefully in a completely horizontal position. That is what I'm hoping for at least.

I am now doubting that Tesla will offer a Model X with a 70kWh pack. The 90 gets 2.67 miles/kWh. So a 70 would get maybe a 190 mile range. Anything less than 200 miles would not be acceptable for Tesla.

I think a 70 kWh X will be over 200 miles for EPA rating.

Today we see 240 miles estimated by Tesla for the P90D X,

the Model S P85D is listed at 253 miles, and the website estimates +6% for upgrading from 85 to 90 kWh, so implied Model S P90D range of 268 miles.

this lets us approximate a Model X has 89.55% of the range of a Model S for the P90D version,

if the 70D X has 89.55% of the range of the Model S, that's 215 miles of range.

there are other variables, so this is a rough estimate, but I think over 200 miles of range on a 70 kWh X is very probable.

I had to pick up my Model S from the service center this morning. They've been sent a .pdf with information about Model X. The available dimension info: overall length: 198", overall width (mirrors extended) 89.4", overall height (doors closed) 66.3", ground clearance 7.2". Sig reservation holders will get an email inviting them to configure in order. Founders configured in August. Interior pictures all match what we've seen so we're seeing the final design.

That's what I was able to glean.

There's absolutely nothing super special in the looks of the 2nd-row seats, so I'd say it's practically guaranteed that Tesla is hiding the actual look/design. It surely knew these would be leaked, and doesn't want them shown before the unveiling.

Seems by sculptural, work of art, etc., Musk meant the pedestals the seats sit on. Super special, we can't really say at this point... I suspect it's about how the seats and pedestal allow functionality (possibly easiest entry of an SUV, possibly the way the 2nd row can be positioned to offer maximum cargo space). Not saying there wont be mixed opinion on whether the full picture is super special, just that we don't have the full picture today.

There's absolutely nothing super special in the looks of the 2nd-row seats, so I'd say it's practically guaranteed that Tesla is hiding the actual look/design. It surely knew these would be leaked, and doesn't want them shown before the unveiling.

I don't think so. It looks like the second row is able to pivot 180 degrees vertically, from L to _|. That's ingenious. As long as there are cup holders either in the doors (which will require creativity) or come out of the center console, the 2nd row looks good. Oh and USB ports.

Anyone see air vents in the second or third rows? After the issues with HVAC and the 3rd row in the S, I hope Tesla got it right in the X.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of wild speculation on this thread, especially about the 2nd row seats.

Since the design studio shots show the adjustable 2nd row seats under the signature features, I would expect these to be the upgraded seat option from the base model. It also doesn't say they go flat, so I'm not sure why people keep speculating that they will. Not to mention that the backrest and seat appear to be one solid piece with no hinge. Also, the adjustment control on the side is one piece as opposed to the separate controls for the front seat. I could be wrong but I'd rather not expect something crazy only to be disappointed.

My guess is that these are the more comfortable seats with power controls that may only slide forward or possibly tilt a little bit forward for easier access to row 3. Much like someone mentioned before me, minivan seats that are more comfortable (Odyssey) don't fold down out of the way, while seats that fold down are less comfortable (Town&Country). Ideally they would be removable to give the occasional larger cargo area when needed, but I'm not holding my breath considering they have heating. Perhaps the base model seats will be more flexible with no power controls and have the ability to fold flat, but we'll have to wait to find that out.

Things that leave me wondering are:
-I see third row cup holders but nothing visible on the top-down view for the second row. Maybe they pop out from the back of the center console. Clearly there won't be any in the doors since they would just spill on you when they open out!
-Is the rear-view mirror visibility compromised by the big headrest in the middle second row?
-No rear entertainment system visible (not that I was really expecting it, but since it seemed to be aimed at the family market I was curious)
-Why oh why would they keep the cup holder / arm rest configuration in the front seats from the S? I never understand having to choose one or the other.