Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, my sentiments exactly. This is obviously a computer rendering and may be based on whatever they thought the seats could look like. This public offering to a mere 27 people is most likely a poke with a stick to figure out the options that early adopters may choose, and to keep the rest of us awake... .

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the 2nd row seats have two adjustments:

• The support pillars themselves move forward and back in the big oval tracks on the floor. That allows owners that configure without the 3rd row to slide the second row all the way back, right up against the rear platform, creating huge legroom. Also lots of space for people with dogs, cargo, etc. This also allows the seats to move far forward enough to create necessary legroom for adults in the 3rd row seats.
  • The seats also move forward and down on the pillars to allow them to slip under the front seats, as people have suggested. This requires both the adjusting pillars, and the adjusting seats to get them into position.
  • I no longer think the 2nd row seats are removable.
  • I'm not sure what the third row does when the 2nd row seats are tucked under the front seats. I'd think it would want to tuck down into the open space created by the tucked 2nd row seats, but I can't visualize it yet. Maybe they flip. With the headrests removed, they would hinge nicely over into that open space.

Last edited:
The cutout in the carpet does not seem that long, it seems long enough to move the 2nd row seat right up against the 1st row, but no further.

There appears to be a "groove" in the base of the seat... I was assuming that the seat would pivot forward and continue to travel forward beyond the carpet cut-out.

The "sculptural" contours of the first row setbacks and second row seats joining together would be consistent with Elon's prior comments, and are very practical engineering solution that does not compromise storage volume like fold-down seats do.

How can signature reservation holders confirm their orders, if Tesla won't tell all the specs?

Based on that I think that there are not any magical gizmos that are not visible now.

^^ this

Anyone expecting 360 degree cameras and holographic head up displays and electrochromic tinted glass and a rear seat entertainment system is in denial IMO.

It's a 7 seat SUV with a fantastic drivetrain and some very novel rear doors. The end.

Three seats can't slip under 2 seats. There's nothing to slip under. The seats will just tilt forward (see my pic earlier).

Why not? If the front row seats are only supported at the sides and the front middle, you could have an open space under them for the 2nd row. There is a little design element that hints at the possibility. Just behind the passenger seat belt buckle is a circular shape that could reflect the open nature of the area below it. (Yeah, it's a stretch, but I enjoy thinking about it)

Given Elon's comments, I think it's going to be more than just the seats tilting forward. That doesn't look "elegant".

Ugh, look up the image from tesla last spring showing the seats folded. It was in a presentation on a slide with the text "what would you do with [all?] this space."

Second row slides all the way back and folds 90 degrees forward with the resulting horizontal surface higher than the top of the third row platform. The third row folds forward and the backs are at the correct elevation to create a continuous floor.

I'm pretty sure in episode one or two of Extant, season one, the father sits in a rear facing second row seat to face his son in the third row. I doubt Tesla made huge design changes to the alpha just for a single TV show scene.

Regardless of any spinning, pivoting or spooning that maybe be happening, there has got be be some serious engineering build into those pedestals, since the 2nd row seatbelts are integrated into the seats, there is going to immense forces working on those pedestals during a front end or rear-end collision that they need to content with all by themselves.

Ugh, look up the image from tesla last spring showing the seats folded. It was in a presentation on a slide with the text "what would you do with [all?] this space."

Second row slides all the way back and folds 90 degrees forward with the resulting horizontal surface higher than the top of the third row platform. The third row folds forward and the backs are at the correct elevation to create a continuous floor.

I'm pretty sure in episode one or two of Extant, season one, the father sits in a rear facing second row seat to face his son in the third row. I doubt Tesla made huge design changes to the alpha just for a single TV show scene.

That slide was from the original reveal event in February 2012. I don't think we can assume any solution used for that prototype will be the same for the production model.

Look at how the third row seats rest on a portion of the floor that is raised. My theory is that the second row seats rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, drop flush to the floor and move forward so that the bottom of the second row is flush to the back of the front row.

The third row seats could then rotate forward and unfold so that they are flush with the floor beneath the third row seat. The floor of the cabin would be comprised of the bottom of the third row and the back of the third row. All the leather seating surfaces would be protected.

The hinge point of the third row rolling forward (clockwise) would be the bottom of the front of the seat.

Third row goes from this:

x
X
X
OOOo
_____

to this:

_____oOOOXXXx

My guess here, see if it makes sense:
3rd row seats just fold down and don't move fore or aft. Item "B" in fengshui's illustration indicates how high the back of the seats will sit when folded down. Under those seats is the single charger, second charger can be installed at the SC like the S. Sig's may get the dual charger included, but I doubt it since it would show up on the options page.
2nd row seats can pivot down similar to Gtoffo's illustration, but the large chrome shape is part of the support structure. The seats will only pivot without moving forward much on the support. The supports slide fore or aft in the tracks seen on the floor. Obviously nothing can protrude down from there because that's the battery area. They will not fit beneath the front seats, but will be close to them when tilted and slid forward.

This guess is probably a long-shot. When post-sig options are available, the standard 2nd row may also fold flat like the S; and when folded will be slightly higher than the charger housing in the back like the S.

All the images are renderings.

None are the seats are intended to be removable.

I think I figured out the seat configuration. Look at the front center console: it has a visible arc on the side, so it probably has space under that arc. Also, the mechanism in the elbow of the seat is quite peculiar. Lastly, by the looks of it, the middle seats can't fold.

Here is the solution: to move the center seats backward and forward, the lengthy oval cutup in the carpet is used. However, to make more room, the center seats vanish half way under the front seats. The trick is, that the arm that reaches around the 2nd row seats (marked "A" in a previous drawing) swivels forward, thereby lowering the seat all the way to the car floor. The center post of those seats even has an easily visible cut-out to take the cross bar.