Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few quick comments:

- I'm going to call it: Congratulations to JST for winning the bet. Obviously the Model X we see here is the same as the mules we have seen since early 2015 and thus all the related analysis has been more relevant than expected. It is even more the same than most of us expected inside, the front interior was already seen on the mules and not on loan from a Model S. Also confirmed is the crossbeam-less front, the adaptive spoiler and the lighter falcon wings design seen on the late-2014 update email, all discussed on TMC already since last year.

Ok, so what have we learned from this given the Model S prototype and Model X prototype exteriors?

ANSWER: What Tesla shows is 99% what is going to go into production which is what I've been saying all along. Now that we have a firm understanding on how they work, when speculation about the Model 3 prototype being shown and eventual mules being driven around we won't all start speculating again that Tesla is "hiding" some different design in the catacombs just to fool us.
For the life of me Elon's I can't understand why some of us took "we will always deliver something better than what we show as prototypes" or "we won't show the final car until deliveries begin" as being "what we show will look different when it goes into production". Such is life in the Tesla PR vacuum I guess. Anyhow, I can reiterate that it's the *interiors* that change with Tesla prototypes and eventual production vehicles, not the exterior.

Thanks for chiming in. I guess the CAD leak happened before I started obsessively following that thread. Out of curiosity, who leaked it? (If we know.)

We don't know. He/She came and went very quickly, as Tesla contacted the mods and requested the post be pulled.

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't one of the leakers almost doxed by someone here? I swear there was one leak thread where someone claimed to have determined the identity of the person posting info...

I think it's rare for SUV's to have optional third row. They are either 5 passenger SUVs or 7 passenger SUVs. An exception is the BMW X5, where an optional third row that really only fits kids is $1700. I'm sure somebody will be able to come up with another example.

Up until about 4-5 years ago, the Toyota RAV-4 had an optional 3rd row. It was a special edition with a bigger V6 engine and a longer wheelbase (no longer offered). Been driving it for 6 years and it comes in handy when the in-laws come to visit from England (they arrived today). Too bad I don't have my Model-X yet. :-(

Since I'm planning a roadtrip shortly after delivery (xpel application first!), I won't be online much. But my twitter account will be active :), especially since I plan on tweeting what superchargers I'll be hitting. I hope to meet Tesla fans at each stop, including showing the X to people waiting to see.

by all means head north first and stop in vancouver to show off to paul carter than onward to calgary :biggrin:. do you like japanese? free dinner any day of your choosing :cool:

Do you by chance get your xpel done by Mike in Sacramento at Appearence solutions?
Since I'm planning a roadtrip shortly after delivery (xpel application first!), I won't be online much. But my twitter account will be active :), especially since I plan on tweeting what superchargers I'll be hitting. I hope to meet Tesla fans at each stop, including showing the X to people waiting to see.

I'm guessing wildly when I say the third row seat is going to cost $6500. I'm basing this off of the fact that the rear facing MS seats are now $3k, but knowing nothing about how much more complex the MXR3 will be, I am likely way off.

Elon said the car would $5k more with "same options"... so, $3k for third row seats. (Now you've seen it on the interweb so it must be true...)

Elon said the car would $5k more with "same options"... so, $3k for third row seats. (Now you've seen it on the interweb so it must be true...)

Forward facing 3rd row for adults is not the same as backward facing 3rd row for kids. Not in the terms of cost or needed safety (being able to handle greater loads).
So I wouldn't expect them to be comparable at all. Might by chance have the same price, might be lower, might be higher.

Ok, so what have we learned from this given the Model S prototype and Model X prototype exteriors?

ANSWER: What Tesla shows is 99% what is going to go into production which is what I've been saying all along. Now that we have a firm understanding on how they work, when speculation about the Model 3 prototype being shown and eventual mules being driven around we won't all start speculating again that Tesla is "hiding" some different design in the catacombs just to fool us.
For the life of me Elon's I can't understand why some of us took "we will always deliver something better than what we show as prototypes" or "we won't show the final car until deliveries begin" as being "what we show will look different when it goes into production". Such is life in the Tesla PR vacuum I guess. Anyhow, I can reiterate that it's the *interiors* that change with Tesla prototypes and eventual production vehicles, not the exterior.

Good summary. And as several of us have noted, a single word is quite important in such statements. Elon said they wouldn't "show" the vehicle, which I always assumed meant they wouldn't have a big unveiling, before deliveries began. I understand how a lot of people took that to mean that it wouldn't be seen, but that just didn't make sense logically.

- - - Updated - - -

Already taken down and the comments deleted.

A pretty good sign it was something we weren't supposed to see, eh? :D

What Tesla shows is 99% what is going to go into production [...]Anyhow, I can reiterate that it's the *interiors* that change with Tesla prototypes and eventual production vehicles, not the exterior.

I'd disagree to some extent. I think, as AR has underlined (welcome back, btw!) also, the front should look quite different from the prototype, given the recent mule pics and hints which have been examined by AR and others. And at least to me, different headlights or a new nose or a new front apron/spoiler constitute more than just 1% of the exterior, perhaps more something like about 10% of the whole car.

@AR: Great summary! As someone else has noted, I highly value your contribitions on TMC, too, and give you credit for that like crazy, but sometimes I felt like you were "flooding" posts/discussions or overwhelming discussants somehow. (Hard to explain, what I mean, somehow, but don't want to further misuse this thread with that off-topic stuff here). In any case, I'm really glad you didn't quit TMC. Thanks for your passion.