Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whew!!! Finally made it to the end! Thanks to all who have contributed with pictures (MarkZ, daedalus, bonnie, etc.) and size specs (Lyon)!

I also really enjoyed reading the seat speculation. I'll hit the new thread to add my thoughts on that.

If it comes to a vote, I say JST won that bet. Haha!

Still holding out hope to get my #39XX general production before Xmas. Possible if they run the optioned out versions first like they did with the S, and the CFO approves all the goodies. ;-)

Look forward to meeting bonnie and seeing her X on her way through Seattle with or without my X (depending on the route).

Cheers!

Holy smokes ... not sure why that went over my head ... since I've been without that for many moons (thought it would be a few moons ... then the delay upon delay).

I understood the lost money comment as well because when calculating potential sig I get to subtract that and it seems much less painful to my $ accounts. Sure helps!

Yeah, and had the excited fans plopping down $40k in February 2012 instead put the money in TSLA and held it until today, that would have turned into enough to buy two fully loaded Model X...
Or let's say they had instead paid $5k for a regular reservation and invested the remaining $35k - that would have been about a thousand shares which would net $245k right now, after long term gains tax about $200k which is still enough for a fully loaded Model X Production and a used Model S for your butler. And instead of 44 months you'd have to have waited maybe 48 months.

I know, this post will make me way popular...

Yeah, and had the excited fans plopping down $40k in February 2012 instead put the money in TSLA and held it until today, that would have turned into enough to buy two fully loaded Model X...
Or let's say they had instead paid $5k for a regular reservation and invested the remaining $35k - that would have been about a thousand shares which would net $245k right now, after long term gains tax about $200k which is still enough for a fully loaded Model X Production and a used Model S for your butler. And instead of 44 months you'd have to have waited maybe 48 months.

haha, don't think I haven't already done the math -_-

Maybe the calculations are right and the sig will be at a discount this time around, which would SORT of make up for it.

Well said dirkhh. Super happy we went with pretty much that exact plan. Although the numbers may vary slightly. ;-)

Oh yeah, forgot to ask if there are any dark gray versions of the new wheels? I know we saw some of the 20" on mules but don't recall if there were some of the 22"'s. Thanks!

Of course, these two things don't have to be exclusive. Perhaps the Sig reservation holder had already invested the maximum comfortable amount in TSLA, and this was other cash that would have been allotted to, say, RIG. :wink:

I haven't seen anyone mention this (although I suppose they could have) but does anyone else find it curious that they are only showing the view of the MX from behind? Usually it is the front view that is showcased. Perhaps there is a surprise that they don't want to reveal before the announcement?

From what I could gather here at TMC, the folks who could write out a 40k check without any hesitation on that night in February 2012 are mostly loaded with $ and had already bought a lot of TSLA shares at that point.

But yeah, I posted almost the exact same thing in the Short Term investor's thread. People were talking about deposit amounts for Model 3, and I said it might make more sense to invest the $ in TSLA. 2017 is a long time away, and Model X presents a lot of upside opportunity as far as being a potentially huge cash cow.

From what I could gather here at TMC, the folks who could write out a 40k check without any hesitation on that night in February 2012 are mostly loaded with $ and had already bought a lot of TSLA shares at that point.

But yeah, I posted almost the exact same thing in the Short Term investor's thread. People were talking about deposit amounts for Model 3, and I said it might make more sense to invest the $ in TSLA. 2017 is a long time away, and Model X presents a lot of upside opportunity as far as being a potentially huge cash cow.
One of the odd things I of course completely glossed over is that the people writing checks in February 2012 assumed that they would be handing over this money for about 18 months, not for about 44 months.
Which of course also makes it worth noticing that if one were to believe in the 2017 delivery of Model 3 (which, for the record, I don't), then that would be a much shorter time (from the announcement in March 2016 that Elon eluded to) than those 44 months. Actually it would get you back to about 18 months... or you could be cynical like me and take this to mean that Model 3 will actually start shipping in very very late 2019 - or simply 2020 as I have said a few times around here. :)

Actually it would get you back to about 18 months... or you could be cynical like me and take this to mean that Model 3 will actually start shipping in very very late 2019 - or simply 2020 as I have said a few times around here. :)

My guess is that Model 3 will be a different situation than Model X. I get the sense that Model X was an "engineers run amok" kind of project, where Tesla mostly threw in everything + the kitchen sink, and basically spared no time or resources implementing whatever the heck they wanted to implement. The Millennium Falcon doors, "secret" second row bench, and who-knows-what-else seems to be the cause of endless delays.

My guess is that Model 3 will be a different situation than Model X. I get the sense that Model X was an "engineers run amok" kind of project, where Tesla mostly threw in everything + the kitchen sink, and basically spared no time or resources implementing whatever the heck they wanted to implement. The Millennium Falcon doors, "secret" second row bench, and who-knows-what-else seems to be the cause of endless delays.
That is certainly one possible charitable explanation. Time will tell.

I have to disagree... Promising a $35,000 price 3 years in advance is truly an engineering nightmare.

I have to disagree... Promising a $35,000 price 3 years in advance is truly an engineering nightmare.

That's fair, although I think it is half engineering and half logistics/supply chain nightmare.

Designing the vehicle I think is the easy part. The hard part is scaling production a full order of magnitude higher than what Tesla is building now (from 10s of k's/year to 100's of k's/year), and also scaling service & support to the higher level as well. This is a massive level up.

Tesla :: Apple
Elon Musk :: Steve Jobs
Franz von Holhausen :: Jony Ive
??? :: Tim Cook

Who's running logistics and supply chain at Tesla?

I haven't seen anyone mention this (although I suppose they could have) but does anyone else find it curious that they are only showing the view of the MX from behind? Usually it is the front view that is showcased. Perhaps there is a surprise that they don't want to reveal before the announcement?

The front view shows on the Model X Tesla page now.

Is the actual price $35,000 for the Model 3 or is that $35,000 after the Federal tax credit? All Elon says is "$35k price, unveil in March, preorders start then."

So what will the Sig deposit be if the car base price is only $35k? Still $40,000 because the loaded price will be more like $60,000?

As to purchasing TSLA at the time of putting down the MX Sig deposit, I had bought 1,000 shares of TSLA about 2 1/2 years ago and because of the gains from that investment I finally pulled the trigger on a MX sig reservation about a year and a half ago just before it closed out the signature.

Mark
Model X Signature #1096