Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Stuck on Park.... at the red light!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this has been posted somewhere (and I'm too lazy to search at this hour)

How to look like an idiot :

- Stopped a red light on a main artery in my medium sized city
- Put the car on Park to activate Autopilot (that my wife deactivated because she was scared to hit the Autopilot stick while she was driving)
- The car didn't want to switch to Drive or Reverse anymore
- Put on the Hazard lights and then Panicked!!!
- Fumbled through the manual unsuccessfully
- Powered the car off for 30 seconds twice
- Called Tesla support
- The girl on the phone asked me to Power the car off for 2 minutes. Then to try to activate Tow Mode and then close it.
- When it didn't work, Tesla suggested I call the police to protect my location and called the towing for eventual return to Service center.
- Finally, found my cool when the police arrived (cop was really friendly : he was a Tesla fan)
- Tried a quick Google search for "Tesla stuck on Park"
- Found a similar situation of someone in a car wash. Got out of the car for 2 minutes, got back in, powered the car off for 2 minutes and restarted it.
- Finally the car responded again!!!!
- Offered the cop a future free ride and left the scene just when the towing arrived.

My brain kept firing : "OMG, you look like an idiot with your 100k car stuck at the red light". I had to keep that voice shut down to try to find a solution :oops:

I hope this can help someone.

I guess these are some situations that we have to live with as early adopters.

I can say that my hockey team really made fun of me when I arrived 20 min late to the game :p

I couldn't get my Tesla in neutral while at a car wash so I am sure we have all had these moments.

On a side note, it's stuck "in" reverse not " stuck "on" reverse.

Well, maybe not.

ICE cars use a reversing gear to go backwards. So the gearbox is in reverse.

EVs just change the polarity. So the only thing that's changed is R on the UI is selected. Stuck on reverse makes more sense to me :)

Well, maybe not.

ICE cars use a reversing gear to go backwards. So the gearbox is in reverse.

EVs just change the polarity. So the only thing that's changed is R on the UI is selected. Stuck on reverse makes more sense to me :)

Not me. The vehicle's still has to move from drive to reverse sobtge vehicle can move so there is a device done where that allows the car to move forward or backwards.

- Tried a quick Google search for "Tesla stuck on Park"
- Found a similar situation of someone in a car wash. Got out of the car for 2 minutes, got back in, powered the car off for 2 minutes and restarted it.
- Finally the car responded again!!!!
You were able to figure out the workaround. BTW, this seems like a bug. I get similar bugs at all sorts of other computers and places, for instance, at the check out counter at Home Depot when I stick my stupid credit card in the stupid chip reader upside down or something else silly. The two terminals get out of sync, and I have to try clearing the old state out of both multiple different ways and times to finally get it to sync again. Happened to me today. Similar things happen with lots of apps on my smartphone.

I think eventually Tesla should find and fix this bug. Perhaps you can file a bug report? They can look at the logs and try to figure out what happened.

Reactions: xkwizit
Yes, you looked like an idiot. Who cares, you drive a Model X.
Um, one which although most people would laugh and be thinking "that rich guy has rich guy problems", they would still rather also share those problems too, or at least not share the problems but garner the fruits of his labors by getting the more refined later models. He looked a lot less like an idiot than you thought he did, and even to the extent he did, he didn't.

Reactions: xkwizit
I have found that I could flummox the parking brake before by trying to engage drive while my foot was not on the brake pedal. Quickly jumping between the two caused the car to get confused, but just for a few seconds, not minutes.

Oh and BTW could have found myself in the same situation the other day. I was playing with the AS settings at a long light and put it in park for similar reasons. I thought to myself this could be a bad idea, but then did it anyway.:)

I had something similar happen to me in my Leaf. I turned the car off while at a red light for some reason (I actually don't remember why), and when I tried to turn it back on I couldn't shift it to drive. I panicked as the light turned green, and was fortunately able to shift it neutral and, since I was on a down slope, was able to slowly roll it into the left turn lane next to me to clear the lane for the traffic behind me. Luckily the road wasn't busy. Once in the left turn lane and with more time to calm down and think, I finally realized that I wasn't pushing down hard enough on the brake when hitting the on button, so the Leaf was only turning on in Accessory mode. For whatever reason, it took a lot more force on the brake pedal to depress right after turning the car off than it normally took if I had left the car off for a while.

Probably doesn't help in your case, but just found it funny to see another person show me how much worse my situation could have been if I had been on a busier road, lol.