Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Subsite Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many corrections of 250 to 257 on the site in various places today. Along with:

View attachment 102931

Wonder if this means a RWD X is coming?

It's likely the complete opposite - removing any reference to other configurations. Recall that 4WD was said to be optional originally, then it became standard (or only available configuration) once the D was announced ..but that doesn't mean TM wouldn't consider it in the future if it made good business sense :wink:

Many corrections of 250 to 257 on the site in various places today. Along with:

View attachment 102931

Wonder if this means a RWD X is coming?

It's likely the complete opposite - removing any reference to other configurations. Recall that 4WD was said to be optional originally, then it became standard (or only available configuration) once the D was announced ..but that doesn't mean TM wouldn't consider it in the future if it made good business sense :wink:

I actually read that change as being because 90 kWh isn't "standard" rather than relating to AWD at all.

The Press Kit section of Tesla Motors seems a bit different. It now had a bunch of Model X info. Is this new?

Model X Press Kit | Tesla Motors

Who writes those things:

"No longer do parents have to cantilever themselves to avoid hitting their child’s head on the roof as they place them in a car seat."

I guess engineers who can do and those who cannot write.

Agreed, that is a poor choice of wording.
Definition of "cantilever": any rigid structural member projecting from a vertical support, especially one in which the projection is great in relation to the depth, so that the upper part is in tension and the lower part in compression.
I would have written it this way:
"Parents can maintain a comfortable position while placing children in their car seats."

I do believe I remember Elon using that phrasing.. So possibly it came right from him.

He did use the word 'cantilever' in the debut. And in the second debut... :rolleyes:

But that sentence surely would have gotten an "AWK" award from my high school English teachers.

Maybe "Getting your kids into their car seats is a snap"! hmmm.... "snap"? Maybe not.

Writing is hard! :p

I'm pretty sure this has been up there since the reveal on September 29. Thus, some of the information may be out of date in terms of what's standard versus optional on production models.

I almost posted similar sentiments earlier, but couldn't find an Internet Archive capture to back my (questionable) memory up. Glad to see I may not be crazy.

His comment starts at 16:40.

Tesla Model X Reveal - YouTube

Every time I see older video/pics of the X I remember, fondly, how much easier it looked to access the third row than it does now:

Capture.PNG

vs current:

6 seats 4.jpg

I'm sure it was changed for good reason (or maybe the second row seat was just much more forward), but I did like that.

The new design automatically slides the 2nd row seats forward when the FWDs open. The front seats move forward as well. All this to maximize the entryway into the 3rd row - so it only appears to be less space.

I vividly recall Elon actually struggling to get out of the car, from the 3rd row, at the original reveal in front of the audience. It was quick but very noteworthy. This was likely the motivation behind the change.

It looks to me like in that photo from the original reveal the seat has already begun moving forward. Hard to tell with Elon's legs in the way. Probably and optical illusion.

It has been postulated that the original X prototype was build on a slightly stretched S chassis so there could very well be more room there.

Looking closer that prototype door opening sure looks wider!

It looks to me like in that photo from the original reveal the seat has already begun moving forward. Hard to tell with Elon's legs in the way. Probably and optical illusion.

It has been postulated that the original X prototype was build on a slightly stretched S chassis so there could very well be more room there.

I think you're right that the prototype was on a stretched S chassis, and the production version is on the same chassis as the S. The rear wheel appears to be closer to the falcon opening, thereby creating more of a rounded profile. The center of the rear production wheel appears to be aligned with the vertical C pillar, where the prototype seems to be more offset.

Elon was able to get out without moving the seat. That was a stated motivation of the doors as well. Obviously they created a workaround for this, and it's elegant. But yes, in a way I believe it falls short of the design goal. I'm sure there was a way to use normal doors and automatic seats to accomplish the same goal, so I don't think the FWDs delivered that aspect independently.