Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Suspension (very stiff) vs Model S Suspension (smooth)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my 2016 Model X 75D used with 16k miles on it, the first thing I noticed was the stiff ride. The best way I can describe it is like driving a bobcat or a gocart. I feel like I bounce over every little bump in the road, like a bobcat. I tried to get use to it and for a while I mostly did, though it still annoyed me. But I have been driving a Model S for a couple weeks and jumped back into my X. The difference is startling. The S is SOOO smooth and nice. I want to keep my X but if this suspension behavior is normal I think I'm out.

So I'm wondering if this is normal or have others experienced this same thing. I took it to the Service Center and they looked at it. They compared it by driving another X and then driving mine then said it was similar. That was a few months ago. I also swear occasionally it is not as rough, which is likely when they drove it. And now after driving the S then jumping back in the X it's killing me. So much more stiff and harsh in the X.

Is it just me?

The ride on my 2017 X (20", all-season, air suspension) seems very similar to the ride on my 2015 S (21", summer sport, air suspension).

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for that comparison. Now that I think about it, my very first Model S 60 with coil suspension and 21" bald continentals was even much smoother and comfortable than the X is now. I do have 22" OEM wheels with brand new tires. But I had the 20" OEM setup and with the new tires, the 22's actually feel slightly smoother than the 20's did. This is making me think there really is something wrong with my suspension.

One of their solutions (the Service Center) to the ride problem was changing from sport mode to normal mode, which was a head scratcher because that has to do with steering and not suspension but I went with it, even though it made no difference. So I have limited confidence in their first diagnosis that nothing was wrong with the suspension. Hmmmm....

it's not just you - i agree with you 100% . we have 21's on the S and it's FAR FAR smoother than the 22's on the X. i also had a S60 before with 21's on coils and that was even smoother than the X.

i didn't realize how much the 22's make a difference since i only test drove an X with 20's before and it was very very plush. i figured it wouldn't make that big of a difference because they both have air suspension, and on the S, the 19 vs 21 is not a significant difference IMHO.

but the 22's do ride rougher on the X. not a deal breaker for me, and for me worth it because i like the way it looks :rolleyes:

The MX75D is 450lbs heavier than the MS90D so that makes sense. However, to me it feels night and day. I see that you have a MX75D have you driven a model s and noticed any difference?

My brother has a Model S that I ride in quite a bit and I know what you’re talking about. Another difference is in the S you sit a lot lower, but can’t see how that has much to do with it.

Recently I had a 2016 lowner X P90D and come to think of it, the ride was quite unrefined compared to my X. Changes since then, I’m not sure.

Yea I am driving a loaner S90D and absolutely agree with you. Wish I knew that before I ordered. Anyway, it’s definitely due to weight of the X pushing on the same suspension as the S. Best thing you can do is deflate your tires a bit to 35PSI to help a bit, but beyond that, we are SOL

I find that our air suspension X100D rides softer (floats more, suspension travels more) than our spring suspension S90D. I felt similar differences when we ordered our S90D new, after test driving both the air and spring suspensions in an S. I like the feel of the spring suspension in our S90D better, more like a sports car (stiffer, less body roll, etc...).

I think that's just how it is. Model X rides higher than Model S (obviously) and, in order to prevent body roll in turns (and add stability when towing), Tesla has tuned the suspension to be stiffer. A little birdie once told me however, that in Model X, the higher your suspension setting, the stiffer your ride. If you try out very low or low, it should be a bit more comfy.