Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've finally pulled the trigger and updated the tally with reservation #10053. With 18 months left on my current lease, I'm hopeful Tesla will be able to deliver by then but realize it's a total crap shoot.

Congratulations fellow Michigander! I can't swing the S as we are going to live without a car in NY for a year, so my timing is also a crapshoot. Our reservations are close - where in Michigan. I'm on the west side, Grand Haven.

I'm in the Detroit area. My dad has a Model S in California so I've driven it several times and love it, but I've always preferred SUVs/CUVs and needed more time to save up for it so the Model X has been my target. I was hoping to hold off on reserving until the final production model was shown, but with the list building up as fast as it has been and slipping timeline, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to buy it as my next vehicle.

I'm in the Detroit area. My dad has a Model S in California so I've driven it several times and love it, but I've always preferred SUVs/CUVs and needed more time to save up for it so the Model X has been my target. I was hoping to hold off on reserving until the final production model was shown, but with the list building up as fast as it has been and slipping timeline, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to buy it as my next vehicle.

I have a Signature Model X reserved (#910). I know of a few others that have reservations. Model S handled well in the Winter, but I'd prefer the Model X for Michigan winters. I'm in the Metro-Detroit area, where are you located, timf?

That's part of my thinking too. After a winter like we just had, I got by alright with FWD but saw plenty of RWD vehicles get stuck and wouldn't want to chance it despite the excellent traction control system. I'm in the western suburbs, home is Plymouth.

China Model X reservation trend.

modelX.jpg

China model X reservation started from Feb. 24. There was a surge to 400 level in the first week, after that, the trend is pretty sturdy up with ~7 reservations/day (including weekend and holidays).

Last edited:
MikeC, thanks for sharing your information. It means the MX resevation could be well exceeding MS reservation level before the official release. I would guess 20K MX reservation at minimum in spring 2015.

I can tell you I was MS reservation 10,267 in early July 2012 after the Founder cars had been released. Moved up in line a lot to get VIN 4375 in Feb 2013 because I chose 85kwh and air suspension.

MikeC, thanks for sharing your information. It means the MX resevation could be well exceeding MS reservation level before the official release. I would guess 20K MX reservation at minimum in spring 2015.

I would definitely think and hope so. At that time Tesla Motors was still hardly known and no one had any idea how the car was going to hold up. Plus all the awards it won shortly after. I think there will be a huge push once the final specs and prices are released. I think MX will have 20K-30K in backlog when it comes out.

I recently saw a PBS special on Ford and early in the companies history (I forget what car it was) but there were 100K orders before it was released. I don't think it was the Model T but it was shortly after.

I would definitely think and hope so. At that time Tesla Motors was still hardly known and no one had any idea how the car was going to hold up. Plus all the awards it won shortly after. I think there will be a huge push once the final specs and prices are released. I think MX will have 20K-30K in backlog when it comes out.

I recently saw a PBS special on Ford and early in the companies history (I forget what car it was) but there were 100K orders before it was released. I don't think it was the Model T but it was shortly after.

Just some quick math - if the US/N.America reservation rate is 20/day (see wiki) and Chinese demand is 7/day (see Maoing chart #948 in this thread) and we put in an ultra-conservative 3/day for the rest of the world....if you start with 15,600, add 30/day or 900/month and increase the reservation rate by 10%/month (I think conservative with RH Drive roll out, Model X reveal, test drives, superchargers, etc) then you pass 25,000 X reservations by the end of 2014 and blow past 30,000 at the end of the first quarter of 2015....or roughly sell out the first year of Model X production in advance of the first delivery.

The thing to consider is the Model S reservations were only tracked for N. America and Europe. Model X is the first all-world Tesla. S - few superchargers, X - 300+. S - little Tesla awareness, X - Tesla as a Global phenomenon. :cool:

Just reserved. 10,085.

Nice ! I'm looking forward to looking back at this thread (& lots of others X related) a year or so from now. I'll remember we were on page 90something on the tally. Back when it was our turn to speculate about just about everything. Some of it will end up being dead on true, some Ha Ha can you believe we were saying that stuff ?! Fun!

Btw on Saturday I marked 1 year since I made reservation #3,660. Omg, would sure like the wait to be over.

oh and Bgarret, your post just above . . . YES !

Yes! Indeed. It's funny, I have wanted to reserve a Model S since I joined the forum last May...and had to wait a year to reserve an X....to then wait a year + for delivery. And my wait/anticipation is mild compared to some on these boards. That's one of the many reasons I am so positive about Tesla - in a society marked by immediate gratification you have a legion (and legions) of people willing to wait months, even years, for your product. Can you imagine when there are 100s of thousands of S & X's on the road, superchargers everywhere and people can buy a Gen III online and have it in a few weeks/months (?).

Good luck on (our) wait. Looking forward to your delivery Mike, cause it just means mine is closer - see you at TMC Connect.

So I have been thinking of trying to get to an all electric vehicle garage. I have a 97 F-150 4x4 and an ML430. We have been rarely using either, the truck for dump runs. I thought I could get rid of these vehicles and buy a Model X with a hitch and then get a small trailer for dump runs. So my question to everyone is give me some reasons not to do this.