Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X UK deliveries in 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in an un-British way,

Hehehe ... only a Brit could feel the need to even mention that!

It was about 4K to have the whole vehicle wrapped. Half that, maybe?, if you just want front-facing bits covered - i.e. stuff that normally gets stone chips. I took the view that pigeon-crap was also a risk, along with a "nudge" of the hedge etc.

Plenty of pictures on their Facebook site, and Twitter page (not so many / not so current on their website)

Best to give them (Darren) a ring for a quote. I expect you'll be the first MX, so they've have to make new templates. I don't think they charge for that, but it might mean that they need it in the shop for a bit longer ... you could ask them if they've got a Pagani loaner :cool:

Hi all,
just to continue the theme of road tax, but also upgrades:

My DS says as long as vehicle gets to end of production line by end March, then it can be registered at that point and so avoids the new VIN regime from April onwards, saving £1500 over 5 years. She reckoned my car is within 2 weeks of starting production, so that should be no issue.

Separately, I asked about upgrading from a 90D to a 100D. Losing free supercharging is, on reflection not a big deal for me, not that many UK road trips and I would charge at home. The extra 50 miles range is a lot for £3k, bearing in mind that the 90 is not really 90 but closer to 85 in terms of actual battery capacity, and I see this whole thing as buying a battery on wheels, so its 15% more battery capacity for 3k.

Anyhow, I was keen to do this (and pay a 500quid order change fee) but it turns out that being so close to production they don't allow any changes now so to get the 100D I'd have to cancel and reorder. Which is financially even crazier than buying the MX90D in the first place !!(I'm upgrading a LOT from my current car).

Anyhoo. hope info is useful.

Hi all,
just to continue the theme of road tax, but also upgrades:

My DS says as long as vehicle gets to end of production line by end March, then it can be registered at that point and so avoids the new VIN regime from April onwards, saving £1500 over 5 years. She reckoned my car is within 2 weeks of starting production, so that should be no issue.

Someone else in a similar position on another forum was told the same but also that "some extra payment" would be required. Not "extra" as in on top of the purchase price, but more towards the total cost of the car than the existing deposit already paid. Was this mentioned to you? It might not be a problem for a cash purchaser but someone with a part ex or using finance may not be quite so happy.

No extra payment mentioned. I guess they are not actually having to do anything different relative to the original plan....and if I were to wimp out at the last minute, well the vehicle is RHD and would be in country so there is no risk for them to have it UK registered.

Does anyone else ever get the feeling that a lot of people in tesla seem to be making it up as they go along. My suspicion is lack of info drives people onto fora such as this, which keeps up the on-line presence....I'm being unkind, my DS has been great but it does remind me of my favourite quote from The Departed: "My theory on Feds is that they're like mushrooms, feed 'em s**t and keep 'em in the dark"

No extra payment mentioned. I guess they are not actually having to do anything different relative to the original plan....and if I were to wimp out at the last minute, well the vehicle is RHD and would be in country so there is no risk for them to have it UK registered.

Does anyone else ever get the feeling that a lot of people in tesla seem to be making it up as they go along. My suspicion is lack of info drives people onto fora such as this, which keeps up the on-line presence....I'm being unkind, my DS has been great but it does remind me of my favourite quote from The Departed: "My theory on Feds is that they're like mushrooms, feed 'em s**t and keep 'em in the dark"

Comms certainly seems to be an issue doesn't it? The staff are passionate about the brand and work hard, I've had emails from my DS at 9.30 in the evening but there are certainly issues. They are a fledgling company and it does show at times. The handover process and QC is way short of where it should be.

The VED is issue is a tough one and it could be they just don't know the answer. When can a car that isn't really a car (travels to the uk as parts to avoid EU import duty) be registered? Normally if a dealer registers a car they can't sell it for 3 months and then usually at a discount as technically the purchaser is not the first owner. Can't imagine Tesla wanting to run the risk of that, so an extra payment would be understandable.

All this is speculation on my part, I don't have any answers!

Trying to search the www to buy a cover for my new MX, not sure when will i see it, but it doesn't seem to have one designed for MX.
Any suggestion please. I will park my mx in front of my house instead of garage so try to find a cover to keep it clean a bit.

WannabeOwner, thanks for the infor re wrapping. Are you going to wrap yours? 4k is a bit expensive but may be worth it.

Comms certainly seems to be an issue doesn't it? The staff are passionate about the brand and work hard, I've had emails from my DS at 9.30 in the evening but there are certainly issues. They are a fledgling company and it does show at times. The handover process and QC is way short of where it should be.

Indeed, credit where it is due, even ~10 months before pulling the trigger the crowd at Bluewater in my case has been nothing short of amazing, basically insuring they do whatever they need to do to get me to into the car I want, the same story for my DS, and subsequently the ServiceCentre. Constantly amazed at replies to emails sent within minutes after 11pm and even after midnight, I cannot say I have had that with any other manufacturer of anything, ever.

As for comms, speaking to some staff on the topic a couple of months ago it appears that internal memo's are apparently circulated before press announcements, however seems like they are as confusingly-worded at times as some of the press announcements & blog updates we see, who knows if everybody keeps on top of everything, and in many cases of course, Elon tweets and the staff read about it on Twitter first before the corp-comms machine kicks in, so you inevitably have questions from buyers about products & changes the 'salesman' might not know of yet.

Whilst road tax and timings around the changes are a more local and legal issue, I am sure much of the same confusion kicks in - from the online clubhouse event it seemed clear to me that they would do whatever they can legally do to get as much through before the changes as possible (and geographically where possible legally), naturally some will be edge cases and be noisy about it however Tesla gains nothing by delaying your delivery. I somehow do not fathom Tesla requiring some fee depending on how the car is financed for keep-it-simple-stupid reasons but now I'm just speculating whilst mildly curious about the same :)

In reflection, having been in the roller-coaster of looking/order/wait/waitmore/delivery/post-delivery and just off of it, I suspect the comms are just about what I expect from a company doing ~20 production line changes a week and the "problems" that introduces with a CEO driving it all very hard from the top, it is not much fun whilst on the roller-coaster, but watching this sure is!

"My theory on Feds is that they're like mushrooms, feed 'em s**t and keep 'em in the dark"

I don't think that's the problem, its just that education / DOCs are not keeping up with the rate of change or, put another way, "doing all that stuff" would slow down the rate of change.

A similar data point: there's never any ChangeLog on new releases. Major releases get a glossy announcement (on the console screen), but that's only the key features. Nothing to tell you what minor things have changed. I find that really peculiar - potentially the whole fleet of drivers will make the discovery that X has changed at 90 MPH on the motorway ...

So I think that permeates the whole organisation. Probably easy for a super-bright entrepreneur to think "everyone I employ will figure it out" - of course, if they could, they'd be running their own company. Whether there is a plan to change this, to become more "grown up" and also to cater for a lower-common-denominator of employee / customer who knows. Hopefully its in the plan, or the realisation will be forced upon them, before the much higher volume of the M3 ramps up.

Are you going to wrap yours? 4k is a bit expensive but may be worth it

Mine is wrapped, yes. I figured its an expensive car, although generally I don't care about knocks and scraps on cars I've taken the view I'd like this one not to look beaten up! and also that I'm likely to keep it longer than normal. Annual mileage is 20-30K and in the past we've changes ICE cars at 75K-ish, because after that they start to cost money / be unreliable / need more servicing but the thought is that EVs will run much much longer (I read that a Tesla might do a million miles ...), so decided to protect it in case I keep it for many years.

Whilst road tax and timings around the changes are a more local and legal issue ...

I've seen it before - Tesla pulled a Rabbit-out-of-a-Hat to fulfil all the orders in Denmark before there was a punitive change in tax there.

But I have no idea if the size of the order-book in the UK, and the size of the tax-change, makes this "worthwhile" for the UK change, this time around.

• Helpful
Reactions: slammer
Is yours the black one that opticoat detailed?
My Tesla has been delivered!!!!. Just getting it detailed before picking up.
My Tesla has been delivered!!!!. Just getting it detailed before picking up. "MY TESLA" still says "Your car has reached Tilburg?" Don't rely on My tesla for accurate dates. My car went into production 31st OCT 2016. It was due for delivery 28th Dec 2016 but I had to delay it to 7/01/17. There is currently a delay in Tilburg and my MX arrived 17/01/17. :) The car arrived in good condition just 1 minor issue on front bumper that will be resolved by Tesla.
"MY TESLA" still says "Your car has reached Tilburg?" Don't rely on My tesla for accurate dates. My car went into production 31st OCT 2016. It was due for delivery 28th Dec 2016 but I had to delay it to 7/01/17. There is currently a delay in Tilburg and my MX arrived 17/01/17. :) The car arrived in good condition just 1 minor issue on front bumper that will be resolved by Tesla.

Macca99, sorry for late reply I've bee away.
As for the mats they are :-
ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber- 7 Seater -(2016-2017) by ToughPRO
I purchased on Amazon
Link ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber- 7 Seater -(2016-2017) by ToughPRO: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike.
At £369 for the set.

As for insurance the best quote I've had ncluding adding my wife and 2 sons was from direct line who now have Tesla model x on their listing.
As for delivery my status has changed from in delivery to at sea on its way to Europe.
I know they all get delivered to Tesla Euro office in Holland and they sent out from there to various countries in Europe so unloaded then re loaded onto another boat for uk.
The status changed last week so allowing 1 week at sea, 1 week to unload check and re load in Holland and 1 week to come here to uk I'm now expecting delivery in 2 weeks time. As said I did originally get on the list and paid my deposit back in late 2014 so for me it's been just over 2 years.
I've also installed my Tesla home charging unit in the garage so all ready and waiting.
In April I'm having a tesla power wall 2 installed with solar panels so hoping to at least part charge the car via this from solar.

I hope this helps. Best

Y4ndy - have you got any feedback on the ToughPRO mats? Are they customised for RHD and how are you finding them? Thanks

Hi All. Anyone install the wall charger in UK Yet?
My model X is on board to Europe now, don't know when it will make it to London .
I'm probably on the same boat - expecting delivery end of March.

I've just got Phoenix Works booked in to install the Wall Connector on the 14th March so can let you know how it goes. One thing I have had to do in prep is get an 100A main fuse to replace the old 60A main fuse I had.

Hi,
I've just had a charging socket installed. No garage, so no place for a wall charger, but installed a blue interlocked 32A socket that the tesla mobile connector attaches to.

This seems like a fine solution to me, the socket costs £30, and the electrician charged me 1 day to install.

Compare that to a tesla Wall connector which is about £400 for the hardware alone, and I just don't get why you'd need to spend the money.
With the blue socket, I can charge at 7kW as I've got a 32A supply. Sure, a TWC could allow you to charge faster, but a) you need a 100A supply (as per post above) - so more cost, and b) I can't see any reason to need it, 7kW will charge overnight from flat.

I just don't get why you'd need to spend the money

I wanted a tethered [to the wall] cable, and not to have to get the UMC out of the car and plug it into the wall and then, on rainy days, have to coil up the UMC and put it, wet, into the car.

But that a) might not be what you are doing? or b) you might have 2x UMC and you have left one in the Blue Commando socket permanently thus having, in effect, a tethered cable.

I got my Sparky to install a Blue Commando socket alongside the Tethered one - intended for vising EVs of a different flavour! but I had a problem with the Tethered one and was grateful of the fallback of being able to use the Commando. I also have an outdoor 13 AMP plug alongside (used for plugging in hover / pressure washer etc.) and have used that, too, to charge the car (V. slowly ...) when I had a loaner that I was unable to charge on either Tethered or Commando, for some reason.

So might be worth having some-of-each for the sky-falls-in days ...