Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs. Audi e-tron

Which car would you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I currently drive a Model 3 and my grandparents are looking into getting their first EV car. They want to trade in their Audi A3 Sportback e-tron that only has 20 miles of battery range then uses gas.

They have always bought Audi's and are having a hard time debating between the 2019 Audi e-tron or 2020 e-tron Sportback (which isn't out yet) or a New Model X.

Besides range being the biggest difference and the Model X being the best choice for that, what other pros/cons do you have for the e-tron vs. Model X?? (which car would you choose, and why?)

Thanks in advance.

I’d choose the X obviously, but for your grandparents, the familiarity with Audi, dealer service, etc. warrant consideration. If the shorter range of the Audi isn’t a concern, that would probably be the best choice for them. For elderly buyers, the drastically different technology and the lack of personal interaction during the sales and service processes may be a bridge too far.

Hello!

Besides range being the biggest difference and the Model X being the best choice for that, what other pros/cons do you have for the e-tron vs. Model X?? (which car would you choose, and why?)

Thanks in advance.

Besides the range, any trip above 200 miles on etron vs MX would be
1. Twice longer charging
2. 2-3x more pricey (per ABBR)

And besides that, I lurked on etron forums and while initial quality Of the frame) seems to be better, users have so freaking issues with using the car...a tons of complains car just do not charge, period. And for Audi service it's like an alien ship, many issues taking 3-4 days to resolve at service center, e.g. customer is without the car, and many are not resolved from first time.

I'd say Audi is on the learning curve how to make and service EVs, so honestly 80k MX is better choice than 80k etron on most metrics.
But sure, better first have them test drive the MX, especially with autopilot when all you have to do it's hold the wheel :) (not even talking about future FSD)

Depends on use case and how much familiarity means to them. If they plan on driving the car within a 50 miles radius of their house and love Audis, by all means, get another Audi. If they plan on driving long distance and don't mind a bit of change, then get the X (or the Y).

Reactions: asa8080
Hello!

I currently drive a Model 3 and my grandparents are looking into getting their first EV car. They want to trade in their Audi A3 Sportback e-tron that only has 20 miles of battery range then uses gas.

They have always bought Audi's and are having a hard time debating between the 2019 Audi e-tron or 2020 e-tron Sportback (which isn't out yet) or a New Model X.

Thanks in advance.

The big reason to go etron right now are the killer lease deals. Check out this one: $369/month w/o tax for 24 month 1 pay lease ($75k MSRP, costco and loyalty needed)-

$369/m Audi e-tron One-Pay or 9 MSD ($373)

That is a hard call. I think it really depends on their comfort with the car itself. If they drive the model X they might surprise you and find that it is an easy and seductive change. If they experience it like it is from Mars, then the familiar Audi. I find some older people (myself included) are more amenable to the new than others. They have to decide, so I would not push one or the other at them.

I love Audi’s. I’ve owned a few but i couldn’t see myself going backwards as far as tech goes, Tesla’s go farther, charge faster and continually get better with updates. With that said they should definitely drive both.

I am a young 49 (Or so I think!) I currently own a launch Edition Audi Etron. Paid UK £86,000

I am moving to a Tesla Model X LR, I have had the Etron 12 months, Its flawless in every thing "Audi" The build is amazing, the cabin is amazing. The drive and the suspension is amazing. Its an all round amazing car.

But..... it's an Audi with an Electric engine, It's a brilliant car they designed as a car and it just happens to be powered by a battery..

Now the Tesla is a brilliant pice of "electric car engineering" its a computer first and then a car built around that, we are buying into that.

Build quality is miles above Tesla, seats / comfort is miles above Tesla.

The Audi Etron is their first "real electric car" a car to contend with the Model X.. But it is still just a car with a battery.

it's not like driving in the future, like driving a Tesla, it's more or less the same as driving an Audi SQ5 (I had that before) You are just driving a (luxury) "CAR"

Again when you open the Tesla model x FWD and your kids get in, It looks amazing, people go "WOW" you get in the driver seat and set up the nav on the massive screen of the computer "not car" you are about to drive and woosh you are in the future.

The Tesla makes you smile, its fun.

The Eton is a means of transport

There are loads of plus and minus for both.

My move to Tesla is based on

25% Not wanting a car anymore, I want an experience each time I get in. I want to be blown away.

25% Based a charging infrastructure (Audi UK is terrible)

50% Based on range,

I have the latest and greatest revision and biggest range they have to date - Marketing at 242 miles.
I know how to drive this car now to get the biggest range, trust me a have done every experiment there is to get the range.
It is possible to drive the car and get a constant 190 mile range. That is fact.

EG: An official comment from an experienced Etron owner. 200 Mile range - turn on AC to 23* before the car moves its 183.

200 mile range Turn on the AC to low 16* again 183

Keep the AC on for 10 minutes at either of those settings and drive 5 miles, you will be at 170.

I know how to drive this car as said so no need to get into, warming / cooling the car before you leave etc as I do that and also all the range saving tricks, but that information is just the facts.

The AC completely murders the range.

If the Audi did 242 then I would be in a very very tricky spot with moving to Tesla but the facts are it does not, if you want to drive the car semi normally (not ragging it around) Just a normal easy going normal driving style then 190 is the range that you have to live with.

For me: Yes I want to drive a car from the future, let me repeat that I want to drive a car form the future, the Etron is not that car the Tesla is. Furthermore with updates it will continue tech wise to stay in the future.

I also need range, a good genuine range. The Tesla Model X in the Uk is listed at 315 miles, if I get 230-250 , (more would be great but not essential) So If I get to drive an electric car that can give me that range and is from the future I am all in.

Well I am obviously all in I am paying £94,000! And should be taking delivery September.

To answer the OP - If they drive Audi then demo both let them decide, I get it, we ant everyone to go Tesla, but it is definitely not a car for all. the Audi UK SC is excellent they are everywhere and they are always great to deal with, I mean really really excellent. I am yet to experience Tesla! in London there are hundreds of Audi SC i think there are 6 Tesla SC!

Last edited:
If the Audi had Tesla’s acceleration I’d buy an Audi hands down

This was my tipping point too and I ended up getting a Model S.

I was too blinded by the idea of having a Tesla that I didn't even go for a test drive with an Audi, despite dreaming of getting one for a long time. In hindsight, I couldn't care less of 4 vs 6 seconds 0-60 times and acceleration. I miss a quality interior, features form every other modern car and a quiet interior/ride. Only reason I'm not getting rid of my Tesla is this stupid virus... and that I'd take a rather large financial hit selling it so soon.

This was my tipping point too and I ended up getting a Model S.

I was too blinded by the idea of having a Tesla that I didn't even go for a test drive with an Audi, despite dreaming of getting one for a long time. In hindsight, I couldn't care less of 4 vs 6 seconds 0-60 times and acceleration. I miss a quality interior, features form every other modern car and a quiet interior/ride. Only reason I'm not getting rid of my Tesla is this stupid virus... and that I'd take a rather large financial hit selling it so soon.
I wish I had your sense about acceleration.

We’re looking for another EV, and driving the E-Tron was enough to have us waiting.

If your grandparents are life long Audi fans, they will be horrified with Tesla service.

Audi dealer treats you like a king when your in for service...and always answer a phone or have a personal concierge giving constant updates.

With our TS center they just ignore you on purpose and try to throw a few Uber credits at you for the ride home.