Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Audi Q8 etron with 430 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Audi can get this Q8 etron to market as described in the article, I would estimate they are more than 6 years behind Tesla.

The article I looked at said at least 100,000 euros, or at least $135,000. I estimate that a 2017 Model X with 350+ miles of epa estimated range will cost $90,000 if Tesla decides to offer that size battery. So, looking at similar performance for the 2017 Audi costing 50% more, I suspect Tesla will be at least 3 years ahead of Audi in 2017, for a total of over 6 years advantage currently (i.e., 6 years total if Tesla stood still for the following 3 years (won't happen) and Audi brought their costs down by 1/3 over those following 3 years ($135K to $90K)).

fwiw, I projected $90,000 for the 350+ mile Model X based on 1) roughly $5-7,000 premium for Model X over known Model S 85 kWh pricing, 2) Elon's comments in Europe last week that they are looking for at least 30% improvement in batteries, hoping for 40% by 2017, 3) $3-5,000 cushion Tesla can put towards cost of larger battery to match or beat 370 miles suggested for Q8.

I don't want to be complacent about what other automakers might be able to do, but the Q8 reporting is consistent with a very large lead for Tesla, at least as far as Audi.

here's the article on Q8 I was drawing from

confirmed: Electric Audi Q8 e-tron gets production green light with 370-mile range | ecomento.com

wow 130k will be hard to sell anywhere in the world...

I fully expect a nicely equipped Model X to reach nearly the same price. I can configure a 115k Model S (admittedly much of the upgrade price is P+, but many of the interior appointments are something you typically see on Audis), add in about a 10% premium and you're at 130k. I just hope Audi doesn't option it up into the 170k range

A price of €100k is very reasonable to recoup the cost of Audi's first "serious" EV. Problem is, in 2017 they are late to the party. No one but the most ardent Audi fans will pay that much when there are better and cheaper cars from Tesla, BMW, and, dare I say here, Nissan.

I am not particularly comfortable with Audi's Tesla-chasing PR tactics. They look destructive rather than constructive in intent.

Product placement in Iron Man 3, PR in California that is obviously trying to claim Tesla brand attributes without earning any of them.

Not sure if Audi is actually serious, good on them if they are but that is not what I think we are seeing.

80kWh 370 mile SUV is not going to happen. Talking about power density definitely will not solve that either (energy density at its limit might by for example halving the weight and hence rolling-resistance of the vehicle) but now we are talking about inventions of 300~400% increased energy density that would require a miracle. Unlike Tesla's execution track record, Audi have a track record of waving EV concepts in front of the media and then withdrawing those programs from production. In the here and now claims of 80kWh 370 mile SUV belong only in the world of aggressively irresponsible PR and mistaken journalism.

The kind of figures are either A. Wrong. B. Omitting to mention a range extender component.

Hasn't audi been advertising since the first one? The r8 was in it

I am not sure. I think the point I am trying to make is a little deeper than that. From what I can see...

Tesla is trying to answer the question: How to make the best car possible.

Audi is trying to answer the question: How do we stop Tesla taking Audi market share.

The first approach tends to yield great cars and added value (SuperChargers, excellent service) the second has a tendency to yield primarily destructive PR activity.

2017 Audi Electric SUVs To Be BMW and Tesla Fighters - HybridCars.com

According to Autobild, the A2Q small SUV concept (pictured) is an answer to BMW’s first i-series city car and aiming for an astonishing 310 miles (500 km) range with launch around 2018.

The larger Q6 EV intending to square off against Tesla’s Model X promises 435 miles (700 km) estimated range and could be built by 2017.

Also unlike pure design approaches by BMW or Tesla, Audi is looking to build on existing internal combustion vehicle architecture, rather than designing purpose-built EVs. At the same time therefore, Audi intends to stretch its market potential for all the effort, and offer gas, diesel, and plug-in hybrid versions of its SUVs as well.

Yes, it's easy to talk about building EVs with that kind of range, but the test is if Audi can actually do it, and not just in a concept car. I hope they do it, but I'm skeptical despite their target dates which are 3 or 4 years away.

The first company to offer 350 to 450 mile range EVs will almost certainly be Tesla, possibly in 2017.

Shareholders letter confirmed it: Tesla: on track, MX production "Spring 2015". Audi: ??? Haven't seen an EV from them in real life, saw they had a few smallish battery PHEVs coming. But a 430 BEV Q8??? Realistically: 2019-2020 (when all other previous ICE-builders who survived the revenge of the electric car all have them in their line-up as well).

With technology so rapidly changing, ie. how far have we come with CPU processor speeds just in the last five years, don't be surprised if range double what we have now isn't already being conceived, or maybe even being tested. Tesla is proving there is a market for EV, and you better believe that companies like Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc. are working on their EVs. Audi, backed by VW who's the largest automaker in Europe with deep pockets, will no doubt launch what is being depicted by Audi here.

Bottom line, I think Tesla started this, others will now run with it. No matter how you look at it, competition is great because it breeds innovation, economies of scale, and lower cost/greatervalue.

I believe Musk is accomplishing his goal :)

Quite the fashion lately to announce capable EVs, 3 or 4 years out. I can only suspect that there are one or more game-changing battery developments in the wings. And I'm not talking about the oft-mentioned inexorable yearly 7-8% "law".