Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield sun glare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost found out. With 60 miles on our car a truck flipped up a rock that scored a direct hit on the windshield. We were going 75 mph when the rock bounced over the glass. No visable damage.

You could say we lucked out and....dodged the rock..damage.
Just dropped almost a thousand dollars to replace our windshield in the S because of a damn rock! I'm so gun shy now that I refuse to be within 500 feet of any vehicle that does not have flaps over the rear tires! Coal rollers and big 4x4's are especially bad!

Just dropped almost a thousand dollars to replace our windshield in the S because of a damn rock! I'm so gun shy now that I refuse to be within 500 feet of any vehicle that does not have flaps over the rear tires! Coal rollers and big 4x4's are especially bad!

Investigate a zero-deductible windshield rider. The insurance company will likely offer it, and you'd be surprised at how little it costs. The last two times I've asked to have it added, I met resistance followed by a quote of "0 extra dollars". Worth looking into.

My first thought when I saw the front windshield on the Model X was a) aesthetically bad IMO, and b) that's going to be a real pain in the afternoon. I'm not really all that interested in the top of the car being open to the sky. I'm fine with a roof over my head. One thing I thought of today when someone mentioned something in this thread is that sometimes when the sun is coming in the front windshield from the right angle, I can block it by putting down the passenger visor, but with the visor on the X way over on the front pillar, the driver can't reach the passenger visor. IMO that front windshield is one of the few cases where Tesla let their styling trump their engineering. They sacrificed too much for that windshield. If I was thinking about an X, I would be happy to pay less for a normal front windshield. It would be a much cheaper part than that huge slab of glass they have now.

I thought the smooth glass over the top was an engineering decision in the never ending search for ways to reduce drag and wind noise. The point of max pressure and flow is the top of a normal windshield. That also happens to be where a drag inducing break, in the highest pressure airflow, occurs across the entire width of the car, in a traditional design. Tesla moved the seam from one of the highest pressure areas to one of the lowest pressure areas of the roof. So maybe the sleek smooth glass was an engineering and design solution that then required tinting and unique visors to make it work.

Think coefficient of drag is not important. Here is energy use, while heading west at Palm Springs, on Friday afternoon (Jan 16th 2016), into a 30 to 40 mph headwind. At 75mph I was plowing thru the air at over 100 mph. You can see what aerodynamic drag does to energy use.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Those of you who have a Model X (or who have access to one):

Run your fingers along the interface between the windshield and the A-pillar, up high. Do you notice that channel?

What could be the purpose for that channel - it exists on both sides of the vehicle - other than to provide an anchor slit for something like a sun screen/shade?

***Thanks to Roamer for having pointed this out***

Those of you who have a Model X (or who have access to one):

Run your fingers along the interface between the windshield and the A-pillar, up high. Do you notice that channel?

What could be the purpose for that channel - it exists on both sides of the vehicle - other than to provide an anchor slit for something like a sun screen/shade?

***Thanks to Roamer for having pointed this out***

Awesome! Would love to see photos of this channel is possible?

Do you think they planned on leaving a opened channel to accommodate a sunshade or is it just part of the design as you mentioned it is similar to the Model S.
While I am not the one to answer about the design of the channel, I will bring up one item found in Elon's Model X.

At the September Fremont Model X event, we saw items in Elon's trunk. The answer from Tesla personnel was that it was a sunshade. The trunk was later closed and no more demonstrations occurred of how Elon's "Trunk Load Floor" would raise on an angle when the trunk hatch was raised.

IMG_9731.jpg

I have waited to order, configure, take delivery and receive repairs. I certainly can wait for a sunshade, but most likely won't use it.

OT: A passenger on a recent road trip used his visor to shade the sun from his side. One problem, it was no longer shading the sun from the driver's eyes. I won, and the passenger had to put a paper into the side window to add more shade. A sunshade would help such situations. The Tesla visor cap will help as well.

Not that I saw. The only middle arm rest I saw was on a six-seater founder X used during the rides outside where they had a middle row center console.

Peter+
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but it was the slickest trick in Elon's vehicle. Only late in the night did someone pull down the center of the back of the center 2nd row seat to magically have an arm rest appear. If that feature had been included in all 7 seat Model X and had I known about it in advance, I might NOT have a 6 seat version today! Here is the link to the photo from aija SigX 649:

6 Seat vs 7 Seat Options

I am pleased to report that my post that followed the photo still applies, except for the absence of that arm rest in other Model X.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but it was the slickest trick in Elon's vehicle. Only late in the night did someone pull down the center of the back of the center 2nd row seat to magically have an arm rest appear. If that feature had been included in all 7 seat Model X and had I known about it in advance, I might NOT have a 6 seat version today! Here is the link to the photo from aija SigX 649:

6 Seat vs 7 Seat Options

I suspect those first 6 founders vehicles had seats made by the company that wasn't able to deliver in quantity on time and led to Tesla doing the seats themselves.