Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will definitely need to manually adjust the climate controls to feel comfortable in colder weather for sure. The cold feet is also a side-effect having no engine in the front where you feet would be, thats why normal ICE cars you typically dont have that, the HVAC plus the warmth of the engine keeps the place where you put your feet warm. The frunk is particularly susceptible to getting cold due to its cavernous nature, so you will often see ice or frost still on your frunk while the rest of the car may be warmed up.

Would love for the X to have vents around where the visors are on the A-pillars to help keep the cold coming from the massive windshield from making it "feel" colder at times.

Good point, I hadn't thought of all that hot metal keeping my toesies toasty :)

I tried some of the techniques listed above to warm up my feet. They worked sort of. But then I ran into another problem. It has been in the low 40's and upper 30's recently but the humidity has been in the 90's. This resulted in the car quickly fogging up all the windows. I had to resort to Auto mode to insure all the windows defogged so there went the alternative ducting etc.

Next attempt will be to see if I can make some sort of duct extension/diversion.

With temps in the teens I found Range Mode On allowed the windows to fog up but RM Off kept them clear. Does RM cause more air recirculation so there is less fresh air to heat?
What you are seeing is the range mode limiting total climate control in order to extend range. When in RM, make sure you are set to bring in fresh air, not recirc. That will help with the fogging. You can also turn on a/c to dehumidify...it uses less energy than resistive heating elements.

What you are seeing is the range mode limiting total climate control in order to extend range. When in RM, make sure you are set to bring in fresh air, not recirc. That will help with the fogging. You can also turn on a/c to dehumidify...it uses less energy than resistive heating elements.
I could do those things but if automatically increasing recirculation is part of RM wouldn't that defeat the purpose? With RM on or off if I turn off auto circulation the fresh air icon is active so I don't have a way of telling what it's actually doing with the climate system. Maybe it's turning off some subliminal a/c used to humidify.

I'm headed to Tahoe, and should be getting a good feel for the winter experience:

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 8.37.43 AM.png

I'm headed to Tahoe, and should be getting a good feel for the winter experience:

View attachment 208782
36" of snow in 3 days...be careful. Please let us know how it goes. Are you doing this with the Continental all-seasons, or did you get snow tires?
I just watched a video of Bjorn towing a Volvo out of a ditch in deep snow using his MX with snow tires. Pretty amazing performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and larmor
No chains. Continental Cross Contact stock tires (on 20" wheels). Perfect handling up and over Donner Pass. A dream compared to my RWD Model S.

As an aside, it took 45.9kWh over three hours (traffic galore) to crest Donner Pass from Rocklin. That's a distance of about 68 miles. Heat was on the whole time.

In Truckee now.
IMG_3147.JPG

No chains. Continental Cross Contact stock tires (on 20" wheels). Perfect handling up and over Donner Pass. A dream compared to my RWD Model S.

As an aside, it took 45.9kWh over three hours (traffic galore) to crest Donner Pass from Rocklin. That's a distance of about 68 miles. Heat was on the whole time.

In Truckee now.
View attachment 208967
Thnx. Was there chain control and were people getting stopped? I ask, since wanted to see if you were able to go past chain control. Also if anyone else has other experience with the 20's stock on an MX and going through chain control.

. Also if anyone else has other experience with the 20's stock on an MX and going through chain control.
Unless it's R3 you are good to go. By law you are supposed to carry a set of chains in the car too but I have yet to have anyone want to look at them. If they get that desperate its a sign they are about to shut down the highway and you might as well find a nice warm place to hide.

Reactions: larmor