Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with higher mileage range - in Q1, 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the market for our larger family car (6 passengers)in Q1 2024 so starting my research now. Wondering if by Q1, 2024 the X will be available with higher mileage? 330 miles just doesn't cut it for longer trips and that's the primary purpose for this second car.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
In the market for our larger family car (6 passengers)in Q1 2024 so starting my research now. Wondering if by Q1, 2024 the X will be available with higher mileage? 330 miles just doesn't cut it for longer trips and that's the primary purpose for this second car.
Nobody knows that, no indication so far that there would be such a change

I suggest thinking about why you would really need more. In most cases, someone doesn't drive such a distance (let alone should) without stopping for a break during which one can recharge the car as well.

Reactions: gsxdsm and henderrj
with 6 passengers, I would assume children and elderly, or just adults with big bladders? You don't need more than 300 miles before resting/bathroom break, etc...

Supercharge while you rest. Unless you really want to drive more than 3-4 hours at a time.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: gsxdsm
Owning Tesla's for more than 5 years, here's the facts.
Any car at 80mph will lose lots of range. ICE or EV.
The 2023 MX will do about 3 hours of range at 80mph. Yes 240 miles.

But if you are a man over 50, your prostate is a bigger (yes larger LOL) limitation.
Got kids, good luck with a 3 hour non stop run.

We normally stop at about the 2 hour mark, do the bathroom breaks but, planned our SuperCharger stop so when we do the stop, we plug in. Car may not really need it but by then you are giving it a 10-20 points (%) increase. Now you can go more than that additional hour. Perhaps 1.5 hours, time for next stop.

If you want to drive 400 miles non-stop and have the physical and family means to do so, wait for next gen EV

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
All good info! If I get 300+ miles of actual range that would be great!! My main concern is that the range is not as accurate as what they claim it is especially after you account for 90% charging , winter / cooler months (my 2021 model 3 currently offers 60-70% of its predicted range). Additionally, I don't let the battery drain to 0 range for obvious reasons.

Hence, 60% of 348 (long range model x) is ~210 miles. If I have to charge every 210 miles, its a bit excessive. I am also not sure if all supercharger locations have bathrooms, refreshments etc. Maybe some do, but what you need is consistency on long trips because you dont' know what lies ahead. with a ICE you atleast know that every gas staation will have basic things (bathrooms, refreshments, etc).

Anyone who has done 500+ miles trips in model x share any links, advice, experience?

All good info! If I get 300+ miles of actual range that would be great!! My main concern is that the range is not as accurate as what they claim it is especially after you account for 90% charging , winter / cooler months (my 2021 model 3 currently offers 60-70% of its predicted range). Additionally, I don't let the battery drain to 0 range for obvious reasons.

Hence, 60% of 348 (long range model x) is ~210 miles. If I have to charge every 210 miles, its a bit excessive. I am also not sure if all supercharger locations have bathrooms, refreshments etc. Maybe some do, but what you need is consistency on long trips because you dont' know what lies ahead. with a ICE you atleast know that every gas staation will have basic things (bathrooms, refreshments, etc).

Anyone who has done 500+ miles trips in model x share any links, advice, experience?
We have done a move from Washington state to south of California using a Tesla Model Y Performance and it has an EPA estimated range of 303 Miles, If I remember correctly, all of the Superchargers we have used had bathrooms, food, rest etc. Heck, there were some Superchargers at gas stations. So a Tesla Model X with 330 miles of EPA estimated range is more than enough for you.

330 miles with no stops, or 700 miles with 3 15-minute stops, is not quite enough range?
Sure...if it actually got that range. In real-world driving conditions, I get 75-80% of that, and even less if I'm say, driving to Tahoe in the winter.

Apparently, Tesla is intentionally overestimating range when fully charged. Not sure whether those allegations are true or not, but I'd love to see Tesla update the battery tech on the X to deliver ~350 miles of actual usable range. I think with the higher density of 4680 cells, that should be quite feasible.

Not sure when Model X will be upgraded to 800v architecture to support 350kw charging - currently its capped to 250kw. Anything that helps speed up charging times or increase range will be worth waiting for.

My kids goto to school in SoCal, I live in NorCal. I do 400+ miles down there all the time. I love driving. So whenever we feel like it on a weekend, we'll drive down on Friday and come back on Sunday.

Charge twice @ Superchargers, with plenty of breathing room for charging in between if I want to. Majority of the chargers along highways are located either by gas stations, fast food places or Starbucks. So bathroom options are plenty. I think Tesla makes the best geographic choices when it comes to charging stations. EA, not so much. in a dark corner of Walmart (I would never let my wife or kids go there to charge at night).

Maybe because I'm in CA and am spoiled by the mass amount of superchargers. But also took quite a few trips up to Vancouver, BC and have no issues dealing with charging and bathrooms, every place have it. I think there's a couple of times I picked a Tesla Service center to charge, and the service center is closed due to off business hours, and hence no bathrooms.

I think I get 310 miles on a full charge on my Plaid X, I drive about 180 miles to the 1st charging station (Harris Ranch), and I have about 40-60 miles left per the guesstimator. I drive fast thought, if I keep it on auto-pilot and at speed limit, I'm sure I can save 10-20 miles at least. But I know I can floor it and still have enough juice to make it to my 1st charging station, so I floor it when I can. :)

-ThinkMac-

• Informative
Reactions: Richbot
Yep. The number on the dashboard isn't really that meaningful if you can do about 3 hours at a go, skip a charger when youdon't like it, etc., which you can, usually, with a deeper charge, not that that's a fast way to road trip in an EV, but whatever. 500 mile range, but 300 in the winter, just means you have to recoup all that energy at the next charger if you use it all. Look at efficiency, capacity, and 10%-60% charge time, and plan accordingly, and let the spec sheet warriors in the comment section worry about how it's "not enough for my trip to the cabin" or whatever the hell

It's possible to predict how it will go, with enough addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The car can't lie to you if you don't let it

Last edited:
I recently completed a 1650 mile trip from New Mexico to Vancouver Island in my 2023 X. Zero issues with charging (or anything else for that matter).
Every Supercharger location had restroom facilities close by and all were within a short walk for food. Like others have said, you’ll want to stop after a few hours of driving. I try to get to a charger with 10% remaining, and charge up to 90% depending on how far I need to go on a given day of a trip. No problem going 280-300 miles with still at least 10% charge left. Doing around 400 miles/day, I only had to charge once during the drive and then topped off in the town/area I spent the night in.Ready for the next day, again with only one stop until the next night’s stay. Easy peasy…….

Reactions: Pricedm
My kids goto to school in SoCal, I live in NorCal. I do 400+ miles down there all the time. I love driving. So whenever we feel like it on a weekend, we'll drive down on Friday and come back on Sunday.

Charge twice @ Superchargers, with plenty of breathing room for charging in between if I want to. Majority of the chargers along highways are located either by gas stations, fast food places or Starbucks. So bathroom options are plenty. I think Tesla makes the best geographic choices when it comes to charging stations. EA, not so much. in a dark corner of Walmart (I would never let my wife or kids go there to charge at night).

Maybe because I'm in CA and am spoiled by the mass amount of superchargers. But also took quite a few trips up to Vancouver, BC and have no issues dealing with charging and bathrooms, every place have it. I think there's a couple of times I picked a Tesla Service center to charge, and the service center is closed due to off business hours, and hence no bathrooms.

I think I get 310 miles on a full charge on my Plaid X, I drive about 180 miles to the 1st charging station (Harris Ranch), and I have about 40-60 miles left per the guesstimator. I drive fast thought, if I keep it on auto-pilot and at speed limit, I'm sure I can save 10-20 miles at least. But I know I can floor it and still have enough juice to make it to my 1st charging station, so I floor it when I can. :)

-ThinkMac-
Yes, we're kind of spoiled here in California with the abundance of superchargers. But in other areas, it can be a challenge. For example, I'm thinking of visiting Great Basin National Park in Nevada. The Tesla trip planner routes me all the way through Las Vegas, instead of the more direct route via Tonopah (or Reno). That's an extra 300 miles(!) presumably because there's no superchargers in the middle of NV.

1690585592137.png

@yoshi10 - high mileage driver here. Love to travel and logged about 215k on my 2017 S. Recently bought a 2023 X LR at the end of Q2 am averaging ~5k per month so far.

But enough about me - you asked:

Wondering if by Q1, 2024 the X will be available with higher mileage?
One would assume efficiency gains for batteries, motors, etc. would grind mileage upwards as w/mi ground lower.

If I may be a bit direct: what's you need for higher mileage predicated on? Rational analysis or irrational fear?

For example, if the 2024 X came with an advertised mileage of 331 (so 330 + 1), would that be enough of a gain to check off your range concern? What about 335? 345? 360? 500? 1,000?...and so on... reason I ask here is many folks I've talked to wisely raise concerns about the range of any electric cars. And while better range is always welcome, it needs to stand up the question of "...at what cost", and more often then not, "do I really need 500 miles of range" as well.

Generally it's just me on my travels and as a male in his mid thirties, I can generally go about 3hrs without needing to pull over and pay the water bill. Can certainly push it if I want to...but why?...and with a wife and kids, you may be facing divorce - if not a full on mutiny - if you push 5h+ drives on your family!
330 miles just doesn't cut it for longer trips and that's the primary purpose for this second car.
Can you expand on this? At 80mph on average this is ~4½ hours.

Are you saying you want to be able to single drives longer than 4½ hours (and if so, drive armed...you'll need to fight off a pissed wife and kids...no pun intended!)

Or are you saying you want to be able to drive more than 330 miles on a single charge with multiple stops along the way?

Or are you saying you don't want to stop to charge along the way with the family in tow?

Trying to understand the desire for wanting increased range here.

If I get 300+ miles of actual range that would be great!
I can vouch the 2023 X LR can do 300+ miles but you won't be able to do it at 80mph.

Probably closer to mid sixties, possibly seventies if you can find a truck to draft.

Will note I've never run so fast to the mens' when I finally got to the SCer.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.36.06 PM.png

My main concern is that the range is not as accurate as what they claim
The NAV estimates for the X have been mostly accurate for myself. Discrepancies arise when - I think? - Tesla is using data from other Teslas further along the route to factor in weather conditions.

For example the last stretch of 287 (the road from DFW → AMA) always tends to be underestimated, even in my S. Don't know what causes this, perhaps the high winds the area is known for?, but for whatever reason I've learned to expect wide swings in expected consumption and tend to load up extra electrons for this stretch.

...especially after you account for 90% charging , winter / cooler months (my 2021 model 3 currently offers 60-70% of its predicted range). Additionally, I don't let the battery drain to 0 range for obvious reasons.
For my daily, non-road-tripping driving, I keep the battery between 10-55% (see Do lower-power Supercharger locations reduce strain on the battery pack? for the backstory) but have no issues charging to 100% if I start driving as soon as I hit 100%.

Would suggest you review if charging to 100% with an immediate departure makes sense as the small amount of stress on the battery could be offset by the 10% range increase.

Here are my batter stats so far from TeslaFi for the ~3months I've owned the X.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 2.01.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 2.04.23 PM.png

...I am also not sure if all supercharger locations have bathrooms, refreshments etc. Maybe some do, but what you need is consistency on long trips because you dont' know what lies ahead.
Strongly suggest you check out supercharge.info

Clicking on an individual location will pull up the link to the TMC thread on the SCer. Excellent resource.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 2.06.45 PM.png

Yes. Your family, friends, and even your pets, will mutiny if you force them to go for hours on end without a break.

Just got back from a bit of a road trip visiting family and friends. X was a beast...may want to consider something like this too as it helped considerably: Can Someone Recommend a Rear Cargo Carrier to hold luggage on a trip? I have a 2022 Model Y 7 seater with hitch

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 2.09.11 PM.png

Not sure when Model X will be upgraded to 800v architecture to support 350kw charging - currently its capped to 250kw. Anything that helps speed up charging times or increase range will be worth waiting for.
Who knows? But the current system will give you enough range in ~15min to get to the next stop assuming you're at a V3.

Yes, we're kind of spoiled here in California with the abundance of superchargers. But in other areas, it can be a challenge. For example, I'm thinking of visiting Great Basin National Park in Nevada. The Tesla trip planner routes me all the way through Las Vegas, instead of the more direct route via Tonopah (or Reno). That's an extra 300 miles(!) presumably because there's no superchargers in the middle of NV.

View attachment 960470

When you go to Reno you still have to go down Vegas via the narrow mountain roads then go back to Baker, NV.
From SF to Bakerfield is probably a lot faster than to Reno. Going uphill in North Cal reduces a lot of range.

330 miles with no stops, or 700 miles with 3 15-minute stops, is not quite enough range?
Except you cannot even really go 330 miles with no stops. Assuming you start off with a 100% charge you will never actually get 330 miles in real world driving. Plus you are not going to take it down to zero. Probably stop when you are at 20% or down to 10% at most. Thus, you are only going to be able to actually drive 200 miles without stopping. Typical 500 mile trip you drive @200 miles, then stop for @15 minutes for a bathroom break/ quick charge. Then drive for a few more hours and stop for lunch - charge 30-40 minutes and might get to your destination or another bathroom break. So it is not. that bad, but yes more range would be better. Another honest 50 miles would make a big difference.

Reactions: Tessellation
On the best of days the X can exceed my bladder capability. On the worst of days it cannot. I’d like it to be able to challenge me even when it’s not nice out. The charging time is getting much better with new generations so it matters a bit less.