Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: 10,000 mile review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Model Y in the last week of March. Long Range AWD, 20in induction wheels, FSD. I’m at over 10,000 miles as of this week. I’m a technical sales rep, so I drive a lot (25k/year).

This car replaced my 2018 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription. After 10k, here’s my pro’s and con’s:

Pro’s:
-It’s electric.
-Autopilot
-handling
-plenty of storage
-did not have to change the oil at 10k

Con’s:
-harsh ride, 20in wheels,no air suspension
-had to order a hitch, as it wasn’t available when I ordered in September
-front end collects lots of bugs
-build quality could be better.
-no mud flaps available?

Issues:
Had to have the rear driver side rear door realigned, as it was out of spec, and the front edge was getting stone chips, Tesla fixed it, and painted the whole door. Rear seat rattle also, which they fixed.

The sound system is surprisingly good. I was worried about this, as my Volvo had the big money Bowers & Wilkins system. The B&W in the Volvo was better, but the Tesla system is no slouch.

ROTATE YOUR TIRES EVERY 5,000miles! I rotated mine at 5,200miles, the rear tires were worn way more than the fronts. No abnormal wear, like cupping, or things a bad alignment would give you, just even wear from side to side. They shipped these cars with some Goodyear max performance “m/s” tires, super soft compound. Those type of tires always wear faster. Stick to the road nice, but won’t last. I’ll change these out for something with a harder compound.

All in all, I would buy another Tesla. My only major gripe is the ride quality. It’s harsh. I’m coming from a car that had four corner air suspension to something with static suspension and 40 series tires on 20in wheels. I knew this going into it, but air suspension would be nice to have.

That’s all I got. Thanks.

Thats good information.Glad you are liking your Y. I currently have a 2018 XC60 T5. I just did a overnight test drive in a MYP. My biggest gripe about the Volvo (other than it being ICE) is the super slow boot up of the center screen. if you jump in this car, put it in reverse right away you won't get a reverse camera or rear cross traffic alert because the system is still booting up. The Tesla is fully operational once you open the door.

After all of the talk of panel gaps, I looked at my Volvo closely and I can say that its far from perfect in that regard, as I can find several miss alined gaps and the rear hatch gap is not even on both sides. Also, this car requires Premium gas, it does get pretty good milage. My XC60 has 33K miles on it and Volvo just told me it needs rear brake pads??? at 250 bucks. I told the guy you must be joking, lol.

The electric powertrain is light years ahead of the ICE engine and 8 speed transmission which sometimes hunts to find the right gear. One pedal driving (in hold mode) is just amazing and after driving it for 24 hrs, driving an ICE car seems like such a chore, brake, gas,brake,gas,brake,gas,brake, so clunky in comparison, with no recovery of braking energy.

I think the MYP is at least as quiet inside as the Volvo, but I think many sounds are easier to hear without the drone of an ICE powertrain. I love the fact that when you stop at a light or in heavy traffic you are not using much energy at all.

I don't have the B & W sound system in my XC, but I thought the MYP audio system was pretty amazing.

Needless to say, I am about to place my order for a blue MYP.

I'll join in because I am replacing a fully loaded Inscription 2017 XC90 T6. @LCS67 I had the same complaint about the slow boot-up of the Volvo infotainment system. I believe they did address that in more recent models--still nowhere near as fast as the MY. I loved the Bowers & Wilkins stereo in the Volvo, but after test driving two different MYs, my guess is that I won't notice a difference during 80% of my time in the car because I will have passengers or be listening to talk radio or sports or talking on the phone. I also experienced the surprisingly quick brake pad wear in the Volvo: had to replace both sets after one year and one set after two. Lots of city driving, though. The sense I get, based on what I've read here, is that the MY's brakes will last longer.

@LowlyOilBurner I had the air suspension in the Volvo too, but always found its ride on the busy side (21" wheels, to be fair). I'm somewhat concerned that you found the MY's ride quality worse than your XC60...

I'm always a bit flabbergasted when people purchase 20" or 21" low profile tires then complain about harsh ride quality.

When the MY was first available the base wheels were 18", then they moved up to 19" with options for 20" and 21". Want a nice ride with tires that will last 50Kmi and the best kWh/mi efficiency? Go with the 19" package, sure they're not sexy like the 20 and 21" options.. but for a daily driver the are the best bet.

Thanks for the review. How does the cargo space compare between the Y and XC60?
The MY was much larger behind the rear seats, plus the under floor storage and the frunk. I felt like the room in the front seat was about the same (I was surprised that the seats were more comfortable than the XC60 as well), but I think the back seat area is a bit larger.

Thanks for the review. How does the cargo space compare between the Y and XC60?

The XC60 on paper has less cargo space than the Y, by like a couple cu/ft. I don’t know how much I actually believe that. The nice thing about the Volvo is, the rear hatch is not slopped, which helps in fitting awkward objects.

As far as the 20inch wheels and ride quality, I knew it was a going to suck. My XC60 had 20’s, but more sidewall, so that helped with ride quality, plus air suspension.

I had a 2016 XC90 on 21’s (no air suspension), and it was a rough ride too.

As far as brakes in the Volvo’s, between the two SPA chassis ones I’ve owned, they ATE REAR PADS. The front rotors were also replaced a bunch due to being “warped”. The dealer replaced the front rotors twice on my xc90, I did the rear pads I think 3 times on both the XC60 and 90. Pads were like $80.00 from Viva Performance (OEM Volvo pads), I changed them myself. Apparently the T8’s are better on pads because of the hybrid drive train.

That’s the thing too, I was looking at a T8 XC60 before I ordered the Y, but man, optioned out, it was like $74,000.00. Might as well just order an X at that point. The Y I have is actually cheaper than my XC60 I had.

I'm always a bit flabbergasted when people purchase 20" or 21" low profile tires then complain about harsh ride quality.

When the MY was first available the base wheels were 18", then they moved up to 19" with options for 20" and 21". Want a nice ride with tires that will last 50Kmi and the best kWh/mi efficiency? Go with the 19" package, sure they're not sexy like the 20 and 21" options.. but for a daily driver the are the best bet.

My XC60 has 20' rims on Continental rubber. I don't think the MYP with 21" wheels and Pirelli Pzero tires was any rougher riding, it sure did handle better. I think it may be perceived as louder or rougher due to the lack of engine/transmission noise covering things up. With the windows down you do hear a lot of tire noise, but they are wide sticky tires.

• Funny
Reactions: XY2B
The XC60 on paper has less cargo space than the Y, by like a couple cu/ft. I don’t know how much I actually believe that. The nice thing about the Volvo is, the rear hatch is not slopped, which helps in fitting awkward objects.

As far as the 20inch wheels and ride quality, I knew it was a going to suck. My XC60 had 20’s, but more sidewall, so that helped with ride quality, plus air suspension.

As far as brakes in the Volvo’s, between the two SPA chassis ones I’ve owned, they ATE REAR PADS. The front rotors were also replaced a bunch due to being “warped”. The dealer replaced the front rotors twice on my xc90, I did the rear pads I think 3 times on both the XC60 and 90. Pads were like $80.00 from Viva Performance (OEM Volvo pads), I changed them myself. Apparently the T8’s are better on pads because of the hybrid drive train.

That’s the thing too, I was looking at a T8 XC60 before I ordered the Y, but man, optioned out, it was like $74,000.00. Might as well just order an X at that point. The Y I have is actually cheaper than my XC60 I had.

Wow, that's a lot of brake work for a modern car. At my last oil change, they told me I needed new rear pads. I think I need front rotors as well. The brakes vibrate badly under heavy braking at 33K miles. Which is kind of crazy for a 55K dollar car.

I looked at the T8 as well, it gets expensive quick!

Darn. I am coming from a Range Rover Sport with air suspension, but I do drive my wife's BMW X1 which does not. I hope the 20 inch wheels are ok because I hate the look of the Gemini wheels. Just makes it look cheap.

Reactions: Reborn
Con’s:
-harsh ride, 20in wheels,no air suspension
-had to order a hitch, as it wasn’t available when I ordered in September
-front end collects lots of bugs
-build quality could be better.
-no mud flaps available?

I guess it's a good sign that all of the cons are things you could have reasonably expected before you bought the car, although I haven't heard anything about bugs before.

+1
Low profile tires AND performance suspension. :rolleyes:

I agree. I initially chose the 20s for the look but I was able to test drive both the 19 and 20s ...and the 19s had a smoother ride, less noise and less pot hole impact. It was a no brainer, I’ll save 2k and powercoat the rims

I agree. I initially chose the 20s for the look but I was able to test drive both the 19 and 20s ...and the 19s had a smoother ride, less noise and less pot hole impact. It was a no brainer, I’ll save 2k and powercoat the rims
I wish you could get the Performance models with the smaller wheels (either the 19"s or the 20"s). I might see if someone wants to trade once I take delivery.

I've appreciated the smallest 19" wheels on my Model S P85 for the past 6+ years and am super happy I didn't get the bigger ones, but the smaller wheels were available on the Performance models at the time.

• Love
I wish you could get the Performance models with the smaller wheels (either the 19"s or the 20"s). I might see if someone wants to trade once I take delivery.
I was told the 19" wheels don't fit over the bigger brakes. There are some "sleeper" or "stealth" models out there, which have the Performance specs but not the upgraded wheels, brakes, or suspension. I guess they were building them for a while, but not anymore.

I was told the 19" wheels don't fit over the bigger brakes. There are some "sleeper" or "stealth" models out there, which have the Performance specs but not the upgraded wheels, brakes, or suspension. I guess they were building them for a while, but not anymore.

Not true, local owner installed blacked out 19" Gemini's on his PMY. After getting the software update to adjust for size he also got the missing range back. WIN - WIN - WIN.

Reactions: richyrich

We have a '15.5 Volvo V60 CC and I too had to have the rear brakes replaced at 30k miles. Was told it was due to the fact that Volvo uses the rear brakes as part of its stability control program. That Volvo may be replaced by an EV...my daughter just purchased a MY so am very interested in this forum. Thank you all for your input.

We have a '15.5 Volvo V60 CC and I too had to have the rear brakes replaced at 30k miles. Was told it was due to the fact that Volvo uses the rear brakes as part of its stability control program. That Volvo may be replaced by an EV...my daughter just purchased a MY so am very interested in this forum. Thank you all for your input.

Did your V60CC have adaptive cruise control? I had a 2016 V60 T5 Platinum at one point, had to do the rear brakes on that around the same mileage as you. Volvo says it’s due to the ACC using the rear brakes more than the fronts, as to eliminate brake dive from too much front brake. Seems to make sense. But, man, the way the SPA Chassis Volvo’s go through those rear pads...! Apparently the T8 guys aren’t having the same issue with brakes.