Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 40% more efficient than Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s all about wh/mi, I wish some major car magazines could rent a track like Indy (big and flat) and test a bunch of FULLY charged EV’s on it all set up identically (tire psi/HVAC) and run them at the exact same speeds until the batteries die, all at the same time and conditions. Then report the results. That would make a great cover.
You're right. Wh/mi is the metric. My Prius Prime averages 220Wh/mi (>2 years of use). Best monthly average was 170Wh/mi (Summer), Worst was 280Wh/mi (winter) Vastly more efficient than my MY for trips <25mi.

I'm glad there are a lot more EVs and PHEVs on the market. I looked at Rav4 Primes, the Mach-E, and Model Y before I bought. I scratched out the Mach-E simply because on long trips I dont want to sit at a charger forever, plus Teslas can charge anywhere with the right adapters. I honestly would have bought the Rav4 Prime over the MY because most of my trips are <40mi and getting 500mi from a 2min stop at a gas station cant be beat (yet). The dealership wanted $11,000 over MSRP though so that pushed me to the Model Y!

Only thing I'm disappointed in is the build quality. The performance and tech is great, but I had to have a bunch of little things adjusted/replaced (I got "existing inventory --- read demo car, so I chalk some of it up to that)

Reactions: justjack77
I’m VERY late to this thread, but yes I obviously agree that the MY is more efficient than the MME. The two primary reasons are that it is several hundred pounds lighter, and has less drag. Both come at a cost. The weight savings result in a noisier ride. The better aero results in a Prius-like wedge with a stubby little front hood and just generally pedestrian, unappealing design.

Hey, I like the Mach-e, it's a great car. But you're wrong on several points. First the "Noisier" ride. I've seen exactly one review where they actually measured the noise level in both cars. It was either R&T or C&D. The Mach-e won that one by one decibel. that's not a big enough difference to really declare a winner, so I've tested two Mach-Es myself along with my Model Y Performance. At the same speed at the same spot on the same road with the same people in the car in the same seats, all three cars measured so closely with my sound meter that I was unable to differentiate which might be quieter. So much for that.

Second, "unappealing" is completely subjective. Many people find one car more attractive than the other, going both ways depending on who you talk to. It's unsurprising that a Mach-e owner such as yourself finds the Mach-e more appealing. While I like the overall shape of the E, I find the grill to be comical, resembling a frog eating a balloon. Don't even get me started on the twin "Elephant" shaped tail lights. I mean that's seriously ugly.

But it is also worth noting that “efficiency” is irrelevant from both a range and cost perspective. Because of the MME’s larger battery pack, it achieves slightly better range.

Really? And what unbiased test with actual data do you base that assertion on. There has been precisely ONE test that I'm aware of that could have answered this question. Edmunds prepped a number of cars identically and ran them from 100% to car stopping battery depletion on the same track on the same time. Wouldn't that be great if they would have released the results from that test? But no, they only released the miles from 0% battery reported to the cars stopping. Don't you find that just a little bit odd? They go to all of that effort to run a definitive test, and they refuse to report the results. LOL. You don't suppose they don't want to piss off one of their advertisers do you? Hmmm. How much does Ford spend on advertising? Did you know Tesla spends zero? So I wonder why Edmunds is afraid to report real range results? A puzzler that one is. LMAO. I mean seriously, do you think Ford won and Edmunds doesn't want to offend Tesla who pays them nothing? ROFL.

You might want to try and get your facts straight if you're going to represent the Mach-e on a Tesla forum. The Mach-e is a great car and deserves someone who can argue facts, not fantasy and wishful thinking.

Hey, I like the Mach-e, it's a great car. But you're wrong on several points. First the "Noisier" ride. I've seen exactly one review where they actually measured the noise level in both cars. It was either R&T or C&D. The Mach-e won that one by one decibel. that's not a big enough difference to really declare a winner, so I've tested two Mach-Es myself along with my Model Y Performance. At the same speed at the same spot on the same road with the same people in the car in the same seats, all three cars measured so closely with my sound meter that I was unable to differentiate which might be quieter. So much for that.

I haven't driven the Mach-E to compare, but I'm inclined to agree. I find the Y to be pretty quiet, tbh. If you get a rattle free vehicle (common with both, but guaranteed with neither, IMO), you will likely not choose based on this. They are too similar for it to be a significant difference.

Second, "unappealing" is completely subjective. Many people find one car more attractive than the other, going both ways depending on who you talk to. It's unsurprising that a Mach-e owner such as yourself finds the Mach-e more appealing. While I like the overall shape of the E, I find the grill to be comical, resembling a frog eating a balloon. Don't even get me started on the twin "Elephant" shaped tail lights. I mean that's seriously ugly.
Hah, yeah. I don't have a strong preference for the appearance of either, and think they are both pretty well designed. I know folks that hate the Mach-E style and others that love it. Its totally subjective.

Really? And what unbiased test with actual data do you base that assertion on. There has been precisely ONE test that I'm aware of that could have answered this question. Edmunds prepped a number of cars identically and ran them from 100% to car stopping battery depletion on the same track on the same time. Wouldn't that be great if they would have released the results from that test? But no, they only released the miles from 0% battery reported to the cars stopping. Don't you find that just a little bit odd? They go to all of that effort to run a definitive test, and they refuse to report the results. LOL. You don't suppose they don't want to piss off one of their advertisers do you? Hmmm. How much does Ford spend on advertising? Did you know Tesla spends zero? So I wonder why Edmunds is afraid to report real range results? A puzzler that one is. LMAO. I mean seriously, do you think Ford won and Edmunds doesn't want to offend Tesla who pays them nothing? ROFL.
I've watched many range tests by everyone from EV Dave to Alex on Autos (specifically the direct comparison test). Each one had different drawbacks that made it imperfect, but the vast majority of the time the Mach-E ended up at least a little bit ahead.

Inside EVs did a pretty good test too: Ford Mustang Mach-E Crushes It In Our 70 MPH Highway Range Test vs Tesla Model Y 70 MPH Highway Range Test: How Far Did It Go?

The difference is small, but in general the Mach-E does a little better than the Y in terms of total range.

Like you, I put very little stock into the Edmunds tests. At best, Edmunds consistently focuses on the wrong things.

• Disagree
Reactions: ahmadr and KentheJ
I've watched many range tests by everyone from EV Dave to Alex on Autos (specifically the direct comparison test). Each one had different drawbacks that made it imperfect, but the vast majority of the time the Mach-E ended up at least a little bit ahead.

Inside EVs did a pretty good test too: Ford Mustang Mach-E Crushes It In Our 70 MPH Highway Range Test vs Tesla Model Y 70 MPH Highway Range Test: How Far Did It Go?

The difference is small, but in general the Mach-E does a little better than the Y in terms of total range.

Like you, I put very little stock into the Edmunds tests. At best, Edmunds consistently focuses on the wrong things.
The Alex on Autos test was worthless. I commented on his youtube page pointing out the issues with his test, he had answers for exactly zero of my points. Instead he just called me names. Yeah, he's unbiased. The tests you listed are also useless; if the cars aren't tested side by side under identical conditions you can't compare the results. It's just way too easy to skew the the test one way or the other. Unless the test driver is extremely well trained, odds are his/her personal biases are going to affect the outcome. The Edmunds test is the only test that has been done that I have seen that could have had decent data. Logically, Edmunds would have released the results if it would have pleased a major advertiser. (Ford.) There is only one reason that Edmunds could possibly have to withhold the results, that being that the results would show an advertiser in a bad light. Ergo, it's almost certain that the Y won that test handily. The fact that a bunch of flawed tests show a certain result is meaningless; it's a logical fallacy. argumentum ad populum

It takes a brave soul to come here and tout the superiority of the MME in a thread like this. I watched a slow burn as a Tesla fan did the similar thing on a MME forum defending the Model Y. He was eventually banned.

Regarding styling. I really like the styling of the Mach-E. Not a big fan of the Model Y's styling. I own a Model Y. If I could get all the Model Y benefits in a Mach-E looking package (with CarPlay) I'd be thrilled.

Regarding styling. I really like the styling of the Mach-E. Not a big fan of the Model Y's styling. I own a Model Y. If I could get all the Model Y benefits in a Mach-E looking package (with CarPlay) I'd be thrilled.
Exactly. Looks are totally subjective. One man's pig is another man's work of art. TBH, I like the looks of both cars, but I do have the two issues with the E's looks mentioned above. I have no problem recommending the Mach-e to friends who like it's looks. I think it's a great car. For me though, it's sadly lacking as an SUV. Compared to the Y it has significantly less cargo space, can't tow, has no "off road" mode, has 20% less ground clearance, has no aftermarket support for lifts, and has no capability to mount roof racks. As a car it's fine, as an SUV it's crap. The lack of an "off road" mode in particular is a huge shortcoming of the E. Without it, it's just going to bury itself in the sand if I tried to drive it on our beaches. "Off road" mode acts much more like 4WD than AWD; all four wheels are biased equally and tire spin is nearly non-existent. AWD biases front or rear and doesn't engage all four wheels equally which results in wheel spin and nearly instantly getting buried in the sand.

The Alex on Autos test was worthless. I commented on his youtube page pointing out the issues with his test, he had answers for exactly zero of my points. Instead he just called me names. Yeah, he's unbiased. The tests you listed are also useless; if the cars aren't tested side by side under identical conditions you can't compare the results. It's just way too easy to skew the the test one way or the other. Unless the test driver is extremely well trained, odds are his/her personal biases are going to affect the outcome. The Edmunds test is the only test that has been done that I have seen that could have had decent data. Logically, Edmunds would have released the results if it would have pleased a major advertiser. (Ford.) There is only one reason that Edmunds could possibly have to withhold the results, that being that the results would show an advertiser in a bad light. Ergo, it's almost certain that the Y won that test handily. The fact that a bunch of flawed tests show a certain result is meaningless; it's a logical fallacy. argumentum ad populum
He literally had them both go on the same trip at the same time and swapped drivers right in the middle. It wasn't a bad test and the results were pretty consistent with the others.

The Mach-E has a huge battery. That's part of why it is so ridiculously overweight, lol

I'm averaging 3.73 mi/kWh in my Mach-E; 268 Wh/mi in Tesla terms. After almost 5k miles. Mostly driving 40 to 85 mph, lots of interstates in Colorado that I need to use for work. I have extended range, premium, awd and I consistently get well over the 270 EPA rated miles. Right now I'm showing 320 miles and the furthest I ever went was 352 miles on a charge; literally was at 2 miles range getting into my garage. HA. My wife, son and I were house shopping all over Colorado that day so lots of interstate driving with a mix of neighborhood driving to look at homes for sale.
What's the average efficiency the MY LR is getting? I don't frequent this forum.
I've updated my post to show my data. I strongly believe in tracking data, engineering mindset. HA. Here you go.

Attachments

• Efficiency.PNG
    Efficiency.PNG
    125.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

TLDW summary: Needed fix for phone as a key, wireless CarPlay and charge port door randomly opening. Ford scheduled appointment with dealer through app. They show up. Dealer says they can't fix and car will sit bricked until Tuesday (Saturday of holiday weekend)
Not that Tesla service is the greatest, but this is really bad. He makes a good point - you know enough about it to sell it, but not enough to fix it?

I'm averaging 3.73 mi/kWh in my Mach-E; 268 Wh/mi in Tesla terms. After almost 5k miles. Mostly driving 40 to 85 mph, lots of interstates in Colorado that I need to use for work. I have extended range, premium, awd and I consistently get well over the 270 EPA rated miles. Right now I'm showing 320 miles and the furthest I ever went was 352 miles on a charge; literally was at 2 miles range getting into my garage. HA. My wife, son and I were house shopping all over Colorado that day so lots of interstate driving with a mix of neighborhood driving to look at homes for sale.
What's the average efficiency the MY LR is getting? I don't frequent this forum.
I've updated my post to show my data. I strongly believe in tracking data, engineering mindset. HA. Here you go.
Also the week leading up to 04/21/2021 we had a snowstorm in Colorado, you can verify this with a weather website. But you'll see my efficiency was bad at 3.1 mi/kWh (322.58 Wh/mi). I had the heater blasting and I was having a great deal of fun with the AWD system. HA. So efficiency is way down.

Not that Tesla service is the greatest, but this is really bad. He makes a good point - you know enough about it to sell it, but not enough to fix it?

@DanDi58 in fairness, those are two very different skillsets (selling vs. repair). Also, I would imagine that servicing an bespoke electric vehicle is rather different than the experience most Ford service folks might have in the past. I mean, parts of it are still "just a car", but it is still different. That experience will have to be built up over time at the various dealers, and all the legacy brands are going to go through this growing pain as the manufacturers update their lineups. That said, yes this particular experience was definitely very poor, but as you point out, there are many, many examples of poor customer service (on both the sales and service sides) with Tesla here in the community.

I'd expect any EV driver to do well in Colorado due to reduced air density. Tesla drivers might even hit EPA. :p

Can you post more detail on distances at different travel speeds? "40 to 85mph" is a wide range with radically different efficiencies.

The most recent Ford=Tesla Killer meme was that Ford's "superior" service centers would mean customers would be flocking to Ford over Tesla.

Ford has been in the automotive industry for a century (100 years!) longer than Tesla and they've had service centers all along.

Don't try to overcomplicate things--
This isn't anything new. There are new veehicle models virtually every year.
Electronics aren't new. All cars have had microcontrollers and firmware for decade(s).
A Ford Mustang is a car.
A Tesla MY is a car.

@DanDi58 in fairness, those are two very different skillsets (selling vs. repair). Also, I would imagine that servicing an bespoke electric vehicle is rather different than the experience most Ford service folks might have in the past. I mean, parts of it are still "just a car", but it is still different. That experience will have to be built up over time at the various dealers, and all the legacy brands are going to go through this growing pain as the manufacturers update their lineups. That said, yes this particular experience was definitely very poor, but as you point out, there are many, many examples of poor customer service (on both the sales and service sides) with Tesla here in the community.

Reactions: Darblish and jsight
I'd expect any EV driver to do well in Colorado due to reduced air density. Tesla drivers might even hit EPA. :p

Can you post more detail on distances at different travel speeds? "40 to 85mph" is a wide range with radically different efficiencies.
HAHA so true. I'm trying to update my datasheet for the future on this point. Unfortunately I don't have a clear answer. The best I can do is show you my route, Monday through Friday. See below. 33% of the time is around 40 mph then I get on the interstate and hum along from 70 to 85mph for 66% of my route. If people are familiar, I36 is 4 lanes across and speed limit is 70-75mph.
I usually take photos of my range when I know I'm going to do some lengthy route. But yesterday my wife, son and I went up to Fort Collins from the Thornton area and then back to Thornton. That trip was approximately 115 miles, I had the AC on 71F and we were in the left lane with CoPilot on and I was bouncing from 75 to 85 mph. I got an efficiency of 3.5 mi/kWh which is 285 Wh/mi. The outside temp was 85F.

I am a HUGE Tesla fan BTW. I didn't go with the Model Y for a couple reasons but knew I'd lose out on the efficiency and had to accept that fact. After 4k miles with my Mach-E, I see I'm not losing out on the efficiency, which feels good. Just wanted to post my data as this thread's title is very very misleading.

Attachments

• My Route.PNG
    My Route.PNG
    482.8 KB · Views: 46
The charging network is the whole ball of wax for me. The electrify America chargers are far fewer in number, and in most case, double the cost per KWh
What's the Supercharger cost? I'm not familiar. I pay $0.31/kWh at the local AE stations. There's 6 AE stations at most Walmarts so I don't ever have an issue finding one or using it, just plug & charge. There's a Walmart on every major highway as far as I know.