Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - 5 seater vs 7 seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you remove the third row at all or are they permanently bolted (or not easy to remove). I would prefer to have the space most of the time and re-connect the third row as necessary. Just get the 5-seater?
It did not look removable to me when I saw my cousin's 7-seater. However, when the third row seats are folded down, you should have the same, or approximately the same, amount of space as a five-seater.

Reactions: voxel
Can you remove the third row at all or are they permanently bolted (or not easy to remove). I would prefer to have the space most of the time and re-connect the third row as necessary. Just get the 5-seater?
im sure it can be removed. Im not sure whats entailed with that. Youd have no cover to cover the space though, and the armrests arer still there

7 seater owner here with 4 kids. our heights are 6'1, 5.7, 6'1, 5'10, and a 9 and 6 year old. So far everyone has sat in the 3rd row except me(except in park). I would say max comfortable height is in the 5'9 area for 3rd row. My 2 young ones love it back there. Only time I, as the driver, moved my seat forward a couple inches was when we had 6 adults in the car. Love our 7 seater. Very flexible. Would have bought performance if it was offered in 7 seats!

7 seater owner here with 4 kids. our heights are 6'1, 5.7, 6'1, 5'10, and a 9 and 6 year old. So far everyone has sat in the 3rd row except me(except in park). I would say max comfortable height is in the 5'9 area for 3rd row. My 2 young ones love it back there. Only time I, as the driver, moved my seat forward a couple inches was when we had 6 adults in the car. Love our 7 seater. Very flexible. Would have bought performance if it was offered in 7 seats!
Im 5'11. I agree 5'9 is about the max

I'd say that a baby seat and 2 petite adults will be fine in the 2nd row of the Y - it's a pretty spacious car. I once bought a 3-row Subaru Tribeca for the flexibility of carrying lots of people. That happened just a couple of times in the entire time we had the car - it was uncomfortable back there so we didn't use it if we didn't have to. Judging from the Y's design, it'll be the same thing. If you're at all like I was with the Subaru, you'll enjoy the flexibility once per year, but spend the rest of the year carrying around the extra weight of 2 big seats folded into the floor doing nothing. And chances are, that one time per year, one of those 7 could have just driven a different car.

I would never put an older/bigger kid or adult in the third row for any type of long trip, but for around town jaunts…it’s just fine. As far as head safety, I dunno… The roof strength of the Y is pretty high from all I’ve seen and it’s highly resistant to rollover anyway, so other than being off-putting and/or uncomfortable…I personally wouldn’t worry “too much” about the safety aspect of it.

All that being said, I wouldn’t have bought the Y at all if it wasn’t for the ability to carry more than 5 in a pinch.

It would probably be easier to remove the second row, leaving you with a 4 seat car that has bad head room but fantastic leg room for the rear seat :)

I have no doubt that the rear seats can be removed, but it is probably a pain in the ass...

As others have said, when the third row is folded down you have as much trunk room as in the 5 seater, all you are missing is the "sub floor" storage in front of the deep trunk.

Hopefully someone with a 7 seat can shed some light on this subject.

Keith

Reactions: RoBoRaT
It would probably be easier to remove the second row, leaving you with a 4 seat car that has bad head room but fantastic leg room for the rear seat :)

I have no doubt that the rear seats can be removed, but it is probably a pain in the ass...

As others have said, when the third row is folded down you have as much trunk room as in the 5 seater, all you are missing is the "sub floor" storage in front of the deep trunk.

Keith
i have a 7 seater and you are correct. not much space lost by getting the third row, but definitely very useful to get that extra person or two in the same car for short distance trips!

i have a 7 seater and you are correct. not much space lost by getting the third row, but definitely very useful to get that extra person or two in the same car for short distance trips!

I would have gotten a 7 seater just for the flexibility of use if it had been offered in the performance. I would love to get all the needed parts from a wrecked 7 seater to convert my Performance into a 7 seater.

Keith

I would have gotten a 7 seater just for the flexibility of use if it had been offered in the performance. I would love to get all the needed parts from a wrecked 7 seater to convert my Performance into a 7 seater.

Keith
That’s my “ideal” model, but for me…the extra seating is occasionally a “necessity” while the performance desire is a regular “wish”…so the MY7 + AB is the closest I can get to getting both right now.

Reactions: Fourdoor
Same here. Getting use out of the 7-seater with three boys.

Keith

2021 7 Seater Long Range
20211002_132711.jpg
20211002_132949.jpg

2020 5 Seater Performance

The tape is about 37" across.
The folded 3rd row is about 5" high.

With the 5 seater, that space used by the third row, is available as storage right? Is that 5-seater rear space really usable in practice? Might as well get the 7-seater then?
I'd say that a baby seat and 2 petite adults will be fine in the 2nd row of the Y - it's a pretty spacious car. I once bought a 3-row Subaru Tribeca for the flexibility of carrying lots of people. That happened just a couple of times in the entire time we had the car - it was uncomfortable back there so we didn't use it if we didn't have to. Judging from the Y's design, it'll be the same thing. If you're at all like I was with the Subaru, you'll enjoy the flexibility once per year, but spend the rest of the year carrying around the extra weight of 2 big seats folded into the floor doing nothing. And chances are, that one time per year, one of those 7 could have just driven a different car.
I've got two car seats (2 Diono Radians - 1 rear-facing & 1 front-facing), plus a backless booster seat, in the back seat of my 5-seater Y. Plenty of storage in the trunk.