Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y AWD - puck size discrepancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar experience at my local Discount Tire Center. They had jack pads for every Tesla model ever made, but none of them fit my Austin-bullt Model Y built in June, 2023. The tire store manager said they always use a lift pad per Tesla instructions, so I was out of luck. I phoned Tesla to buy one and was told that the only parts available to owners are listed on the web site, which only seems to sell items like floor mats, chargers, and t-shirts. I have emailed 4 different aftermarket lift pad manufacturers to see if they plan to make one, all of whom either did not reply or did not seem anxious to make a separate model for the new Y. Quite a few negative reviews are starting to appear on the eBay ads for 2023 model Y lift pads by new Y owners who say their products did not fit and had to return them. You would think the sellers would get a clue from all these returns and start making some that fit. Whoever makes them first would own the market.
If no "lift arm pads" are needed, why does the user manual (PDF version 2023.26, page 204) state the following?:
"Position the lift arm pads under the designated body lift points at the locations shown."
"Place the lift arm pads under the designated body lift points ..."
"Damage caused by incorrectly lifting Model Y is not covered by the warranty."

Are they talking about the jack itself? If so, why are there holes in the "lift points", and why do all the tire dealers seem to use these pads? I must admit that as a Tesla novice, I find all the various terms used in discussions and eBay ads unclear. Are the "lift arm pads" mentioned in the Tesla manual the same thing as "jack pads" and "lifting pucks"? Do I have to call Tesla service if I get a nail in my tire when I'm 2 blocks away from a tire store?

I would purchase a set specified with 20mm posts or made for the Model S, since early Model S' used a 20mm socket and later switched to the larger 25mm.

Amazon provides paid free returns, so you can send them back if they do not work out.

I'll use the pads. The jack points as specified in Tesla's manual.

Not all lifts use runner pads. Some lifts have serrated linear lift contact arms that are supposed to grab onto the notched pinch welds of conventional unibody cars. That would cut into the thin aluminum structure of the battery carrier.
Yes, I'm not sure where the disagreement lies. You can use pucks that go in the holes or not, as long as there's something rubber between the car and the lifting device. The lifting points in the manual are the same ones I'm talking about.

Some lifts use rubber pads, some don't. I would hope that anyone jacking up a Tesla ensures there is rubber pad or a plastic puck between the jack/lift and the jacking point!

Reactions: Mike500
So, has anyone found jack pads on Amazon that fit the recent Austin built Dual Motor AWD Model Y? All the ones I've seen have the 25mm posts. Thanks.
Yes, one poster in this other thread on pucks found some for sale on Amazon that have the 20mm diameter protrusion.

It's in this thread:
What the puck?

Also, that thread explains how those smaller holes at the jack points are only one SOME of the Model Y's built in Austin: the ones with the 4860 batt cells and the new "structural battery pack". To date, that is only on the vehicles that Tesla has sold as Model Y AWD w 279 mile range; NOT on the long range or performance long range MY's.

Reactions: tradosaurus
Yes, one poster in this other thread on pucks found some for sale on Amazon that have the 20mm diameter protrusion.

It's in this thread:
What the puck?

Also, that thread explains how those smaller holes at the jack points are only one SOME of the Model Y's built in Austin: the ones with the 4860 batt cells and the new "structural battery pack". To date, that is only on the vehicles that Tesla has sold as Model Y AWD w 279 mile range; NOT on the long range or performance long range MY's.

Yes, that's what I am starting to understand. That ONLY the Model Y AWD (base version) built in Austin has the 20 mm holes. Not the MYLR or the MYP built in Austin.

Now what would be more interesting is if this is true for ALL Model Y AWD built in any giga factory? This will help those buying a Model Y know which puck size to buy in advance.

TL;DR

Most Model Y's built since 2019, and all those being built currently (as of Oct 2023) can use the widely available lift pucks sold by many companies today. Those vehicles have holes in the chassis at the lift points that are approx. 25 mm in diameter, and those will fit most all the pucks you will find selling on Amazon today.

The 2023 "Model Y AWD" (spec'd at 279-mile range) version of the Model Y, manufactured using the new structural battery pack that contains the new 4860 battery cells, has lift point holes that are smaller, only ~20 mm diameter. These vehicles have been manufactured exclusively at Austin; they were introduced in March 2023, and removed from the Tesla configurator at the end of September 2023 (ostensibly to free up 4860 cell capacity for the Cybertruck and Semi). These will not work with any of the products sold on Amazon as of mid-September, as attested to by several TMC members.

There are other threads on lift pucks, but most TMCers are generally confused about the differences between various Tesla vehicles and the changing chassis lift-point hole sizes Tesla has used since 2012.

I'll add some details on the puck problem, and then my workaround, in the next post.

Reactions: android04
First off: some older Tesla Model S (and maybe X) vehicles had lift point holes that were smaller than 25 mm. I don't have personal experience with S/X, but saw several TMC threads that mentioned this when I did my lift puck research last month. Some info was from back in 2013... So if you own a Model S or X, and you want lift pucks, do your own research on those details.

Structural battery packs are the future; but they are not the past.

As far as I can tell, except for the 2023 "Model Y AWD" 279-mile range model that Tesla sold only March through September this year,
ALL of the Model Y's (and Model 3's) built to date have a lift-point hole with a nominal 25 mm inside diameter. And there are scads of lift pucks on sale on Amazon that fit these million+ cars. This is good news for many!

I have owned a Model 3 SR (2019–2021), a Model Y LR AWD w 331 mile range (2022–2023), and now own a Model Y AWD (279 mile range) with a structural battery pack/4860 battery cells.

First Model Y with a structural battery pack

The Austin-built "Model Y AWD" with 279 miles of range was the first Model Y built with the structural battery pack, which uses the new, larger 4860 battery cells
, which notably, are structural cells (larger steel case, etc.) For this very different design of the battery pack—and, as Munro & Associates has shown with a tear-down video some months ago—a very different manufacturing process in both "body in white" and on the final assembly line, the design needed tweaked. Quite simply: Tesla engineers changed many things on this vehicle mechanically! One very small detail is the diameter of the four lift point holes under the chassis: they are now a nominal 20 mm. With paint & such, the protrusion on the lift puck needs to be more like 19.7 mm to fit in these vehicles. As of last month, NONE of the many pucks sold on Amazon would work, even those that have a photo showing "20 mm", as several of us can attest to.

However, the structural battery pack and 4860 cells are the future for Tesla, once cell production capacity is fully ramped. These are going to be in many of the longer range Model Y and Model 3s, once cell production can meet demand for Cybertruck and Semi. Structural battery pack vehicles weigh less to obtain the same vehicle range, and use fewer parts while being cheaper to manufacture,

So do be aware that not all lift pucks will work in all of the Model Ys and Model 3s going forward.

I hope this has helped clear up the confusion on lift puck sizes and Model Ys/3s. I'll give details on the challenges many TMCers have experienced (e.g., @fholbert and @A2be) finding pucks that fit for the 279 mile AWD vehicle, and my personal lift puck workaround for the 20 mm holes, in the next day or so.

Last edited:
Just for context: I wrote the two posts immediately prior to these in a new thread earlier today, specifically titled so as to help reduce confusion of TMCers who come into these puck threads and have no idea, and then don't fully grok, how unique the "Model Y AWD" 2 279 mile range, sold to date ONLY Mar 2023 to Sep 2023. And why the design changes affects lift pucks.

But some moderator moved them to this long-running thread, where folks are generally confused, and now, the title of that thread I created is missing. So that context is missing.

Oh well.

I'm thinking I probably wouldn't take the time to write such a thorough overview post again next time.:confused: Few will notice it, or find it in search, buried in this confused thread. Confusion is the state of mankind.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Just for context: I wrote the two posts immediately prior to these in a new thread earlier today, specifically titled so as to help reduce confusion of TMCers who come into these puck threads and have no idea, and then don't fully grok, how unique the "Model Y AWD" 2 279 mile range, sold to date ONLY Mar 2023 to Sep 2023. And why the design changes affects lift pucks.

But some moderator moved them to this long-running thread, where folks are generally confused, and now, the title of that thread I created is missing. So that context is missing.

Oh well.

I'm thinking I probably wouldn't take the time to write such a thorough overview post again next time.:confused: Few will notice it, or find it in search, buried in this confused thread. Confusion is the state of mankind.

Thanks for all the information, I have read that "what the puck" post, it looks like the only way we can do now is buying the "potauto 20mm" puck, and hand fit down to 19.5mm?

Reactions: A2be
I am having this issue as well. Will filing down the "potauto 20mm" jack puck compromise it’s structural integrity?

I do not think so because the post/shaft is just to locate the jack point correctly. I am not sure how hard to file down the alum. and the Potauto 20mm delivery date is crazy ( in Dec). I ordered the polyurethane jack pucks in 25mm, so I think its easier to file it down with my gunsmith tools.

I do not think so because the post/shaft is just to locate the jack point correctly. I am not sure how hard to file down the alum. and the Potauto 20mm delivery date is crazy ( in Dec). I ordered the polyurethane jack pucks in 25mm, so I think its easier to file it down with my gunsmith tools.
I have of the 20mm pucks but they need to be filed down. Wish there was vendor that sold them to fit.

I have of the 20mm pucks but they need to be filed down. Wish there was vendor that sold them to fit.

I am asking one of the tesla accessory vendors but its weekend in China, so she won't reply the message.

I even asked her to provide Model Y AWD ( 4680 battery) accessories , specially the Front and rear door sill protectors because our 4680 model is all carpet. It really depends on the market and demand.

I am asking one of the tesla accessory vendors but its weekend in China, so she won't reply the message.

If you’re looking for some custom lifting pads I would reach out to this company on eBay.
I bought their lifting pads for my Model S, but they work for my Model Y and 3 as well. They are made in-house in the U.S., so they could probably change specs and create something custom if you asked.
I can say they are 1000% better quality than the cheap lifting pucks made of plastic and rubber you find on Amazon too.

Reactions: dummykid
If you’re looking for some custom lifting pads I would reach out to this company on eBay.
I bought their lifting pads for my Model S, but they work for my Model Y and 3 as well. They are made in-house in the U.S., so they could probably change specs and create something custom if you asked.
I can say they are 1000% better quality than the cheap lifting pucks made of plastic and rubber you find on Amazon too.

Thanks, good choice as well. I don't mind the custom thing as long as it works great. I am wondering how many of us want it, maybe its good to place a big order to let them fabricate it.

Got bored and played with a few ideas. Originally went with a flange that can be secured to an off the shelf hocky puck but will probably move to a single machined base with interchangeable bosses.

IMG_1156.jpg