Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y AWD - puck size discrepancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having this issue as well. Will filing down the "potauto 20mm" jack puck compromise it’s structural integrity?
No. Structural integrity will be intact. The Potauto part is made from a block of aluminum, and the upper protrusion is ONLY used to center it in the holes in the chassis that ensure your weight is supported on the proper location and strength part of the chassis.

So today I ended up making my own jack pad. Purchase the polyethylene one from Amazon 25mm, then I sand it down to 19mm( varies)

It’s not perfect but it works hopefully

Attachments

• IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8082.jpeg
    IMG_8082.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 46
I am asking one of the tesla accessory vendors but its weekend in China, so she won't reply the message.

I even asked her to provide Model Y AWD ( 4680 battery) accessories , specially the Front and rear door sill protectors because our 4680 model is all carpet. It really depends on the market and demand.

Hey there!

Weekends can indeed slow down responses. For your Model Y AWD with the 4680 battery, protecting the carpeted areas is a smart move. While you're waiting, consider checking out TESERY for a variety of Tesla Model Y Accessories tailored for the Model Y.

Specifically, for your concern about Front and Rear Door Sill Protectors, TESERY offers quality options that not only protect but also add a touch of style. You can find these accessories here.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your 4680 Model Y!

I also made my own jack pads using hocket pucks and 19.5mm rubber feet bumpers from amazon. I took the Model Y to Costco today and they were able to use it to rotate tires. You just need to center it and screw them into the pucks.

Amazon Pucks
Amazon Rubber Feet
I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I used the items you linked and created my own pucks this way as well. Thank you!

Reactions: KevinT3141
I recently made these pads for the new 2023+ FISKER OCEAN ONE

IMG_3826.JPG

They are exceptionally light weight using 9 ply aircraft quality Baltic Birch plywood and machined aluminum posts. They weigh 2 ounces each.

ThetTheTHE
IMG_3831.JPG
The Fisker Ocean has a special custom jacking point. I'm thing of making them for my Austin built Model 3

Fisker Ocean jacking point 3.png
thumbnail (6).jpeg
thumbnail (4).jpeg

IMO, wood has no place on a jack. I've had 2x4s split on my while I was under the car.
Obviously, you don't know Baltic Birch plywood.

Historically, Baltic Birch plywood is stronger than steel or aluminum by weight and has been used in the original Wright flyer, Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, and Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose." It use in the De Havilland Mosquito made it the fastest propeller driven plane in WWII.

All Higgins boats used in the D-day invasion and WWII PT boats were constructed of this plywood.

Reactions: fholbert
Obviously, you don't know Baltic Birch plywood.

Historically, Baltic Birch plywood is stronger than steel or aluminum by weight and has been used in the original Wright flyer, Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, and Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose." It use in the De Havilland Mosquito made it the fastest propeller driven plane in WWII.

All Higgins boats used in the D-day invasion and WWII PT boats were constructed of this plywood.

Thanks for the history lesson. I don't claim to be an expert in wood, but thanks for the history lesson. I've flown Citabrias with fiber wings. That doesn't mean I'll jack my car up using a similar construction.

I'd be interested in seeing strength tests for that material. 0.25 thick? I can find something similar for aluminum and steel.

I recently made these pads for the new 2023+ FISKER OCEAN ONE

View attachment 1008433
They are exceptionally light weight using 9 ply aircraft quality Baltic Birch plywood and machined aluminum posts. They weigh 2 ounces each.

ThetTheTHEView attachment 1008434The Fisker Ocean has a special custom jacking point. I'm thing of making them for my Austin built Model 3

View attachment 1008435View attachment 1008436View attachment 1008437
I‘ve got the tighter puck holes too, but your pick holes look nothing like mine. My puck holes are smooth.

I guess as long as the puck hole does the job when there’s a need…

IMG_1473.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike500