Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Base Auto Pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What functions are included in Base Auto Pilot on my new 2023 Model Y? Is this the software that shows other cars on highway in my blind spot on the screen?
What additional functions are included with Enhanced Auto Pilot (is this the same as FSD?)?
Thanks, PeachY

Yes. Plain autopilot includes the visualization on the screen was well as traffic aware cruise control and autosteer (lane keeping). It also has the the chime on green light feature.

You can get the lists of EAP and FSD features here:

Upvote 0
As far as driving goes

Basic will show you your lane and the ones next to you and a little bit in front of you. It will keep you in your lane and follow the car in front of you. It will not stop at stop signs or stop lights

EAP adds the ability for auto lane changes and for the car to navigate on autopilot (ie, take exits). It will not stop at stop signs or stop lights

FSD adds the ability to autonomously navigate through city streets. It will stop at stop signs or stop lights

FSD beta (which may go out to everyone with FSD, not sure) adds way more information about what the car sees on the screen. Tons of lanes, further view of what the car sees, etc.

==================

I only have basic on my car, so if anyone adds info, trust them over me.

Reactions: alexcue
Upvote 0
As far as driving goes

Basic will show you your lane and the ones next to you and a little bit in front of you. It will keep you in your lane and follow the car in front of you. It will not stop at stop signs or stop lights

EAP adds the ability for auto lane changes and for the car to navigate on autopilot (ie, take exits). It will not stop at stop signs or stop lights

FSD adds the ability to autonomously navigate through city streets. It will stop at stop signs or stop lights

FSD beta (which may go out to everyone with FSD, not sure) adds way more information about what the car sees on the screen. Tons of lanes, further view of what the car sees, etc.

==================

I only have basic on my car, so if anyone adds info, trust them over me.
I have everything on my FSD model s and I can tell you basic autopilot is probably good enough for most people. I dont trust autopilot on streets and navigate on autopilot is not that great. Staying in the lane with gas and brake on freeways is my most used feature. I dont trust autopilot outside of this.

Upvote 0
What functions are included in Base Auto Pilot on my new 2023 Model Y? Is this the software that shows other cars on highway in my blind spot on the screen?
What additional functions are included with Enhanced Auto Pilot (is this the same as FSD?)?
Thanks, PeachY
The answers are in the Tesla Model Y user manual. There is important safety info in the manual on other topics which pertain to winter driving such as how to safely park in snowy environments. You can thank me later :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, PeachY
Basic autopilot gets you the core features you mostly expect in a car in this class:
  • Adaptive cruise - probably the best of any car
  • Lane Keep Assist - probably the worst of any car
  • Blind spot alert - also probably the worst due to lack of situational awareness
  • Car & road visualizations
Lane Keep Assist fights you when you change lanes, even with a blinker. Every other car with LKA will suspend while you change lanes and automatically reengage or simply do the lane change for you. This is the biggest gap in basic AP that EAP corrects - for $6K, you can get LKA on par with the market.

Blind spot alert is another weakness, but not because of the feature itself. It is because there are no warning lights on the dash, head-up display, or mirrors. It is only on the screen and not easily as visible as any other car.

Reactions: TomB985
Upvote 0
Lane Keep Assist fights you when you change lanes, even with a blinker. Every other car with LKA will suspend while you change lanes and automatically reengage or simply do the lane change for you. This is the biggest gap in basic AP that EAP corrects - for $6K, you can get LKA on par with the market.
If you depress the turn signal fully, it disengages with no effort. If you only do the tap, it will fight you.

Reactions: starship42
Upvote 0
If you depress the turn signal fully, it disengages with no effort. If you only do the tap, it will fight you.

Yep, worst LKA behavior in the auto industry. By a lot. (And mine will occasionally disengage with a tap, but not every time.)
Weird. I've never had it fight me when I change lanes while Autopilot is on, whether I do the light tap or the full click on the stalk. AP has always disengaged when I signal for a lane change. This is in about 27k miles so far.

Also, I don't find it to take that much effort to disengage AP by using the steering wheel. Sometimes when a car in the next lane gets too close for comfort during a curved section on a highway, I just turn the steering wheel a little bit to disengage autosteer.

Upvote 0
Weird. I've never had it fight me when I change lanes while Autopilot is on, whether I do the light tap or the full click on the stalk. AP has always disengaged when I signal for a lane change. This is in about 27k miles so far.

Also, I don't find it to take that much effort to disengage AP by using the steering wheel. Sometimes when a car in the next lane gets too close for comfort during a curved section on a highway, I just turn the steering wheel a little bit to disengage autosteer.
This is totally not my expeirience. Makes me curious what we are doing differently. I probably have around 50-50 experience of the LKA disengaging before I start the lane change. Maybe you let it flash longer than me. I try to move pretty quickly after engaging, since it only flashes 3 times. And, I have not used automatic turn signals that long, so it might behave differently if I let if flash longer before initiating the lane change. The lane keep arm wrestle is bad compared to other cars; like nothing else does this - there is no resistance, because they don't fight you at all. In my experience, it is worse than any other car I have driven with LKA.

Upvote 0
I've experienced both lane keeping behaviors. For me it's consistent; I tend to get the same behaviors in the same places during my routine drives.

If I move the stalk all the way to signal I'm planning to turn up ahead, the auto lane keeping disables itself before I'm ready to leave my lane. This means no extra force is needed to turn the wheel. OTOH, if I move the stalk only to the first detent to get 3 flashes for signalling a lane change then I need to use more force than I would like to change lanes. It's possible the force needed would reduce if I waited longer between blinking and changing lanes.

For my use, something in between would be ideal where the lane keeping does not auto-disable but after I use either blinker mode it takes much less force for me to take over. I haven't tried it since the holiday update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is totally not my expeirience. Makes me curious what we are doing differently. I probably have around 50-50 experience of the LKA disengaging before I start the lane change. Maybe you let it flash longer than me. I try to move pretty quickly after engaging, since it only flashes 3 times. And, I have not used automatic turn signals that long, so it might behave differently if I let if flash longer before initiating the lane change. The lane keep arm wrestle is bad compared to other cars; like nothing else does this - there is no resistance, because they don't fight you at all. In my experience, it is worse than any other car I have driven with LKA.
It might be that I typically hold the stalk at the first position while making a lane change. It usually takes me quite a bit more time than 3 blinker flashes to complete a lane change, so I tend to hold it so it flashes until I let go. Maybe that’s the difference.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
It might be that I typically hold the stalk at the first position while making a lane change. It usually takes me quite a bit more time than 3 blinker flashes to complete a lane change, so I tend to hold it so it flashes until I let go. Maybe that’s the difference.
I think this is the ticket. I've noticed that if I just do the quick tap on the turn signal (the 3 flash method), then the auto steer fights you a little before it disengages. But if you hold it at the first detent, as you say, it's very smooth and the auto steer lets go very easily. My muscle memory changed pretty quickly to just do the hold, and things work great for me now.

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Yes. Plain autopilot includes the visualization on the screen was well as traffic aware cruise control and autosteer (lane keeping). It also has the the chime on green light feature.

You can get the lists of EAP and FSD features here:

Thank you Bitjam for responding. Actually, I asked the question incorrectly. I meant what is the difference between Standard Connectivity and Premium Connectivity? Tesla is offering me a monthly subscription at $9.99 per month to upgrade to Premium connectivity, which they say includes Live Traffic Visualizations that Standard Connectivity does not. Premium Connectivity provides the ability to access all connectivity features over cellular, versus just WiFi.
Supposedly it also includes Sentry Mode - View Live Camera and Satellite - View Maps and Music Streaming, all of which are not included in Standard Connectivity. Am I understanding this correctly, am I going to have to pay $9.99 per month for Live Traffic Visualization when my free trial expires after 30 days? I took delivery of my 2023 Model Y 2 weeks ago. Thanks, PeachY

Upvote 0
Thank you Bitjam for responding. Actually, I asked the question incorrectly. I meant what is the difference between Standard Connectivity and Premium Connectivity? Tesla is offering me a monthly subscription at $9.99 per month to upgrade to Premium connectivity, which they say includes Live Traffic Visualizations that Standard Connectivity does not. Premium Connectivity provides the ability to access all connectivity features over cellular, versus just WiFi.
Supposedly it also includes Sentry Mode - View Live Camera and Satellite - View Maps and Music Streaming, all of which are not included in Standard Connectivity. Am I understanding this correctly, am I going to have to pay $9.99 per month for Live Traffic Visualization when my free trial expires after 30 days? I took delivery of my 2023 Model Y 2 weeks ago. Thanks, PeachY
Yes, you have it mostly (or entirely) right. You would still have sentry mode but not video views in the app (perhaps this is what you meant). Also. premium connectivity gives you the web browser and streaming video.

The car will still navigate around congestion, you just won't see the congestion on the map. IMO live traffic visualization alone is not worth the price but there is not a lot of traffic where I live. You still get the maps with standard connectivity, but you don't get the satellite view. You still get voice commands with standard connectivity (even though they are processed in the cloud).

If you are on the fence, try to use as many of the premium services as possible in the next two weeks, then let the free subscription expire and see what that's like before deciding. Many people use their phones to stream music in the car via Bluetooth. This might be the watershed for premium connectivity being worth it or not.

For me, for now, the car is still a shiny new toy so I'm willing to pay to get all the bells and whistles.

Congrats on the new car!

Upvote 0