Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Brake Controller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for replies.
No tow package, and correct - I meant white brake controller connector (4 pin) in left (driver) footwell.
Is there any chance to activate it? If not would appreciate any footwell-located tap-in spots for 12v suggestions.

My apologies. I misunderstood. Consider outing in a ticket and asking tesla, or if you are close enough to a service centre ask the shop manager. Please report your findings back.

Good luck. 👍👍

Does anyone know if this works on 16V cars that don't supply the accessory power at the 7-pin connector?
I don't believe it does. My research indicated that the Echo requires power from the marvelously inoperative aux power pin. I really want to use the that brake controller in order to avoid tapping into a circuit to use a different brake controller.

Has anyone heard anything at all about Tesla finally fixing this?

I filled out a safety reporting form with DOT to let the Feds know that Tesla sells incomplete tow packages that could result in trailers with electric brakes having no emergency braking in the event they come loose from the tow vehicle.

Reactions: mcsenerd
I don't believe it does. My research indicated that the Echo requires power from the marvelously inoperative aux power pin. I really want to use the that brake controller in order to avoid tapping into a circuit to use a different brake controller.

Has anyone heard anything at all about Tesla finally fixing this?

I filled out a safety reporting form with DOT to let the Feds know that Tesla sells incomplete tow packages that could result in trailers with electric brakes having no emergency braking in the event they come loose from the tow vehicle.

The emergency braking comes from the trailer’s battery. Not the car.

The emergency braking comes from the trailer’s battery. Not the car.

Of course it does.

And the charging for that battery comes from the 12v aux pin on the trailer connector. Which doesn't get charged on lithium battery MY's because Tesla didn't bother to step the voltage down and left the pin unpowered. So the trailer battery, which is needed to power the trailer's emergency brakes, will eventually go dead.

Note: Some trailer emergency brake batteries are dry cells without a charger, others are built with batteries and a small charger and charge via the 12v aux power pin - those are the ones (like mine) that will go dead because they are not getting charged.

Of course it does.

And the charging for that battery comes from the 12v aux pin on the trailer connector. Which doesn't get charged on lithium battery MY's because Tesla didn't bother to step the voltage down and left the pin unpowered. So the trailer battery, which is needed to power the trailer's emergency brakes, will eventually go dead.

Note: Some trailer emergency brake batteries are dry cells without a charger, others are built with batteries and a small charger and charge via the 12v aux power pin - those are the ones (like mine) that will go dead because they are not getting charged.

Yes. Having said that, where travel trailers are concerned, usually there are solar panels on the roof of the trailer.

Not a thing for utility trailers with brakes though. I suppose that could be an issue.