Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y charger - what to ask for, what to expect, suggestions for East Valley Arizona?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 10/31 and it looks like my date moved up. Trying to get everything lined up for Day 1 ownership.

Recent charger changes have me a bit worried.

What do I need to charge the Y in my garage? I read a 60amp connection in another thread.

What should I expect as far as experience, price, availability for installers?

Any lists of suggested folks to run through for quotes? In the east valley in AZ, but don't have any prior experience with electricians.

Searching and not seeing anything super specific about the above for my area. Apologize if it's a dupe of a dupe but appreciate any love a newbie can get :)

Solution
You can decide the best charging solution for your needs. For home charging these are the charging rates for the different charging circuit options.

Level 1 (120 Volt charging):
120 Volts and 12 amps using the standard 120V/15 amp receptacle likely to already be in your garage. Good for up to 4 miles per hour of range added to the Tesla Model Y's battery while charging.

Also

120 Volts and 16 amps using a 120V and 20 amp circuit good for adding 7 miles of range per hour while charging.

Level 2 (240 Volt charging):

From highest to lowest amperage (most would be well served by either the 40 amp or 32 amp charging rate.)

60 amp circuit / 48 amp charging rate / add up to 42 miles per hour while charging
50 amp circuit / 40 amp charging...
From what I read in the forums, it can be hit or miss on whether or not you'll get the mobile charger with your car. Assuming you do, the next question is how much do you drive every day. If you're around 50 or 60 miles, you can plug the charger into a regular wall outlet and charge that way (I did it for several years).

If you want to step up your game, you can get a 240v outlet (like a dryer or range outlet) installed in your garage. You'll need to buy a different connector from Tesla in order to use a 240 outlet with your mobile charger. It's the NEMA 14-50 and you'll need at least a 40 amp breaker - your car will charge at 32 amps.

If you really want to step up your game, you can buy the high powered charger that has to be wired into the wall and costs about $400. For that you'll need a 60 amp breaker and you can charge a little bit faster.

Upvote 0
What do I need to charge the Y in my garage? I read a 60amp connection in another thread.
No, there isn't really a level of "need". You can charge from just about any level of circuit, but anything faster is your preference.
From what I read in the forums, it can be hit or miss on whether or not you'll get the mobile charger with your car. Assuming you do, the next question is how much do you drive every day. If you're around 50 or 60 miles, you can plug the charger into a regular wall outlet and charge that way (I did it for several years).
This order was from October of last year, so it will "include" it. However, the word "include" seems to just mean you won't have to pay extra for it. The cord may not physically be in the car. We are going to pick up our Model Y tomorrow that we ordered in January, and they emailed us a store voucher for $200 that says we can use that to get a mobile charging connector or apply it toward a wall connector if we want. I kind of like that it's choices.

If you want to step up your game, you can get a 240v outlet (like a dryer or range outlet) installed in your garage. You'll need to buy a different connector from Tesla in order to use a 240 outlet with your mobile charger. It's the NEMA 14-50 and you'll need at least a 40 amp breaker - your car will charge at 32 amps.
You can, but I generally don't bother with the recommendation to do an outlet now that NEC has that requirement for GFCI breakers, which are stupid expensive. Wall connector costs about the same and is a bit safer.

If you really want to step up your game, you can buy the high powered charger that has to be wired into the wall and costs about $400. For that you'll need a 60 amp breaker
No! Dang, I wish people would stop giving new folks that incorrect information. It doesn't have to be a 60A circuit, and sometimes trying to force that requires significant extra expense versus some smaller circuits. The wall connector is a variable setting device, so whatever level of circuit someone can fit into their house's existing electrical can get a wall connector on it and set for that. That can be from 15A to 60A circuits, but it's very flexible.

@mistergin The way I would go about it is to get a consultation visit from an electrician and have them do a load calculation for your house to ask "How big of a circuit do I have room to add?" That lets you know what you are working with.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 1
You can decide the best charging solution for your needs. For home charging these are the charging rates for the different charging circuit options.

Level 1 (120 Volt charging):
120 Volts and 12 amps using the standard 120V/15 amp receptacle likely to already be in your garage. Good for up to 4 miles per hour of range added to the Tesla Model Y's battery while charging.

Also

120 Volts and 16 amps using a 120V and 20 amp circuit good for adding 7 miles of range per hour while charging.

Level 2 (240 Volt charging):

From highest to lowest amperage (most would be well served by either the 40 amp or 32 amp charging rate.)

60 amp circuit / 48 amp charging rate / add up to 42 miles per hour while charging
50 amp circuit / 40 amp charging rate / add up to 36 miles of range ... *
40 amp circuit / 32 amp charging rate / add up to 29 miles of range ...
30 amp circuit / 24 amp charging rate / add up to 21 miles of range ...
20 amp circuit / 16amp charging rate / add up to 14 miles of range ...
15 amp circuit / 12amp charging rate / add up to 10 miles of range ...

* When using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector and a 50 amp circuit/receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 the charging amperage is limited to a maximum of 32 amps.

If you drive less than 30 miles per day and can plug in the Tesla Mobile Connector at home in your garage or on your driveway your additional cost will be zero other than the electricity you use.

The cost of installing any of the above 240V circuits for charging an EV will vary with the distance from the electrical service panel in your home, other installation considerations. There are permit costs and materials costs. Most of the cost is in the labor for the electrician to perform the work. It pays to get several quotes from different electricians, then decide.

Take some rope or a garden hose and measure off 18 feet. That is the length of the charging cord (not including the power plug pigtail or the electronics chassis) for the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. Make sure you locate the Tesla charging unit in a location so you can easily reach, plug into the charge port of the Tesla vehicle (the charge port is located on the left side rear of the vehicle next to the left rear tail light assembly.) If you don't verify the reach of the charging cord you may end up having to back into your garage to charge when you would prefer not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Solution
I'm new to this and very confused. I already have a 240V outlet in my garage-- had it installed when the house was built. I have so many questions:
  1. Should I buy the Tesla wall connector? It's $400. My bigger concern is what will be the installation costs?
  2. I have now idea how many amps my breaker can take. Is this something that's easy to figure out?
  3. Is there a better option than the Tesla wall connector? With that 240V outlet, seems I could do a lot.
  4. Is there a list of electricians who are familiar with this sort of install?
Excited to get the Model Y in January 2022, but I'd like to be prepared.

Upvote 0
I'm new to this and very confused. I already have a 240V outlet in my garage-- had it installed when the house was built. I have so many questions:
  1. Should I buy the Tesla wall connector? It's $400. My bigger concern is what will be the installation costs?
  2. I have now idea how many amps my breaker can take. Is this something that's easy to figure out?
  3. Is there a better option than the Tesla wall connector? With that 240V outlet, seems I could do a lot.
  4. Is there a list of electricians who are familiar with this sort of install?
Excited to get the Model Y in January 2022, but I'd like to be prepared.
Provide a photo of the 240V receptacle and also open the door of your circuit breaker panel to take a photo of the breakers, breaker labeling.

Based on the location of the 240V receptacle how long a charging cord would be needed to reach the charge port on the Tesla vehicle (left side, rear next to the turn signal.) The Mobile Connector is a total of 20 ft (18 ft for just the charging cord.) The Wall Connector comes with a 24 ft charging cord.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0