Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent my Model Y 2023 to service because when I picked it up the second row seat was not functioning, and they told me they have to replace the entire second row. So they gave me a loaner. It was a Model 3 Performance. Seems to be either 2020 or 2021. Didn't look at the VIN. But boy that car, while much faster, is extremely uncomfortable. I think what bothered me more than the suspension was how loud the road noise was compared to the Y. I had to have my music very loud just to hear it when I was driving back home on the highway.

Drove back to back my 2023 MYLR with the "new" comfort suspension and 2022 MYLR produced May 2022 with the "old" suspension. The two car felt essentially the same. There is no difference at least that I could tell. However both had booming low frequency thumping noise when traveling or rough road at 30-40 mph.
Just curious if/how you were able to resolve the booming noise in the new 23 mylr?

I've had my September-build 22' MYP for about a week now and don't understand all the fuss about the suspension. This thing drives silky smooth on the highway and even feels better than my Range Rover Sport did. Occasionally it can be pretty jarring going over very rough/uneven roads, railroad crossings, potholes, etc. but it's not much different than of my other vehicles. The RR was smoother over rough surfaces but not much. Maybe it's the fact I drive a lot of sports cars and I'm use to a slightly rougher ride. I don't know but I don't really see too much of an issue. Perhaps I'll find a 2023 with the newer suspension and see if there is a big difference. I've only put about 400 miles on mine so far but so far so good.

Reactions: Jovo
I think it's hard to gauge the suspension when you first get the car. Most folks are just excited to finally get it after all that waiting.

After 3-4 months is when I started to notice the harshness of the ride and some boominess. I have a 21 MYLR.

I had a 22 MYLR (before it was totaled) and just purchased a 23 MYP. I was fully expecting the MYP to have a harsher ride given that it has the 21" wheels and the MYLR had the 19" wheels and that every review I read said the performance version had a rougher ride. I found the opposite to be true. The 23 MYP had a much smoother and better damped ride. Maybe it is because the 22 had the Continental all season tires and the 23 MYP has the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. The tires also seem to be a lot quieter.

I had a 22 MYLR (before it was totaled) and just purchased a 23 MYP. I was fully expecting the MYP to have a harsher ride given that it has the 21" wheels and the MYLR had the 19" wheels and that every review I read said the performance version had a rougher ride. I found the opposite to be true. The 23 MYP had a much smoother and better damped ride. Maybe it is because the 22 had the Continental all season tires and the 23 MYP has the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. The tires also seem to be a lot quieter.
Putting aside the revised suspension, Pilot Sport AS4's are a superior tire.

Reactions: OutofPocket
I've had my September-build 22' MYP for about a week now and don't understand all the fuss about the suspension. This thing drives silky smooth on the highway and even feels better than my Range Rover Sport did. Occasionally it can be pretty jarring going over very rough/uneven roads, railroad crossings, potholes, etc. but it's not much different than of my other vehicles. The RR was smoother over rough surfaces but not much. Maybe it's the fact I drive a lot of sports cars and I'm use to a slightly rougher ride. I don't know but I don't really see too much of an issue. Perhaps I'll find a 2023 with the newer suspension and see if there is a big difference. I've only put about 400 miles on mine so far but so far so good.
my other car is a 911 and I take it and past sports cars to the race track and canyon carving, the MYLR suspension pre-comfort update is IMO bad. the damping is bad and the spring rates seem to be too high

September 2022 is when they started installing the new suspension if memory serves.

The info I saw was October but who knows for sure when they started the change. I've got the original window sticker but it doesn't mention anything about comfort suspension. Not sure if there is a way to tell.
The dampers have part number stickers XXXX-X, the -X is the revision. So crawl under there and check the -X, ex. -F is current for fronts etc etc.

Reactions: RavenYZF-R6
I think it's hard to gauge the suspension when you first get the car. Most folks are just excited to finally get it after all that waiting.

After 3-4 months is when I started to notice the harshness of the ride and some boominess. I have a 21 MYLR.
I have a June ‘22 build MYLR, have around 6k miles. The suspension seems perfectly fine to me. I just finished an 800 mile road trip and it was perfectly comfortable.

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude and Noflash
When test driven the MY, it was a 2022 MYP and it did feel pretty stuff. When incentives came in December, I made the jump and gotten the 2023 MYP which does have the comfort suspension.

Initial impression when I driven it off the lot is that it felt too stiff and rigid but driving it over time as the car is being broken in, it began it began to feel softer and smoother; better than the 2022 test driven.