Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something like scanmytesla gives you the date and time of build. Door just has month/year. Would be interested to see if Tesla offers a retrofit and what the cost would be. I would mind a comfort suspension but I don't need the adjustable kits sold by 3rd parties and I don't want the hassle on warranty claims. Seems like this new "comfort suspension" might be the ticket if they offer a retrofit for a reasonable price.

Wow, this is real good news... Next we need to find out if we can upgrade/retrofit the older MYs with the new comfort suspension.
As with any production change like this, owners are going to ask if it will be possible to upgrade to the new suspension. In the email Tesla says this is not possible, but gives hope that it might be one day by saying “not at this time.”

From the article ...

Never rode on a Tesla prior to owning one long enough to to tell what’s considered comfort and rough, got ours today, anyone to gauge? lol
I can bring my 2020 Model Y and we can both ride in both my car and your car ( same road, same speed ) and make an objective assessment. Let me know if you are interested... I live in San Jose, CA.

My Model Y LR (19") was delivered on Monday and the suspension seems significantly improved over the Model Y that I test-drove in March 2022. Honestly, I have no complaints about the suspension at all. None whatsoever. When I compare it to my 2016 E350 I really can't feel any difference. The Model Y's suspension is fine, excellent really. I was sort of bracing myself for a rough ride, but it's not rough at all.
1st 3 of the last 6 of your VIN?

I have an Austin-built MYLR that was made in 09/2022. I logged into my Tesla EPC account and searched for my VIN and can confirm that the suspension is different than older 2020 and 2021 models. I'm planning on meeting up with someone with an older Y to do a comparison.

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I pulled it up in EPC
1667700898384.png

Parts from older 2020/2021 models
1667700930314.png

I have an Austin-built MYLR that was made in 09/2022. I logged into my Tesla EPC account and searched for my VIN and can confirm that the suspension is different than older 2020 and 2021 models. I'm planning on meeting up with someone with an older Y to do a comparison.

View attachment 871589

View attachment 871590
your VIN can only show any recalls right? How can you be sure the parts by VIN?

As with any production change like this, owners are going to ask if it will be possible to upgrade to the new suspension. In the email Tesla says this is not possible, but gives hope that it might be one day by saying “not at this time.”

From the article ...
'not at this time' makes total sense.
parts inventory needs to go to production.
only after things settle in will any option be offered, unless you can swing a deal with the local SC.

Reactions: DrGriz and Noflash

View attachment 871589

View attachment 871590

Are new struts the only difference? All other suspension components are the same? If so, I will buy new shocks to try to retrofit a 2020 model Y.

I took delivery of my 2022 MY LR in Dec. 2021.
  • Has anyone heard yet if the Comfort Suspension will be offered as an upgrade for installation at Service Centers?
  • Will it be covered under warranty?
  • If not, how much would it cost with installation?

I took delivery of my 2022 MY LR in Dec. 2021.
  • Has anyone heard yet if the Comfort Suspension will be offered as an upgrade for installation at Service Centers?
  • Will it be covered under warranty?
  • If not, how much would it cost with installation?
Did you not see the note above that nothing is available at this time? And why would it be covered under warranty? The current suspension isn't defective and, for my money, is perfectly fine.

Reactions: DrGriz