Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys no more guess. Here are the suspension pictures. Best thing is you can check by your self too see if you have the 'new' suspension.

Previous damper:
View attachment 872643

'New' damper:
View attachment 872644
View attachment 872645
I was assigned a VIN PF597 for delivery this Saturday. I went to the lot to look it over early. The photos I took match the "previous damper." Where did these photos come from? Are you sure that it is correct?

@ogkris: My car (F585) was one car behind yours in production. Bouncy ride noted also, and pic you showed is identical to my car. Hmmm....
Based on my experience earlier in the year (new harness, lithium LV battery, wiper heater tray), there can be wide variation on whether on any given day (or run) the parts you want to know about were available in the moment your car was assembled.

That is to say, even though some people had been getting the new harness for my car for weeks, the day mine was built they got a crate of the old harnesses and that's what my car has. It was maybe only a day and a half. Before and after that identical model Ys had the new harness, etc.

So, at this point, I'd just search for a photo of what the new suspension part looks like, and one of the old, on this site, and compare to yours. I wouldn't count on VIN numbers to tell you anything.

I just was at the service center comparing model Ys. Everyone I checked, from Fremont or Austin, had that same suspension that ogkris has. They were all very recent builds. So I'm starting to question if that isn't the comfort suspension after all.

Reactions: Alow
Took delivery of my MYLR5 on November 1. First three of last six VIN digits are 585 (Fremont). Wondering if I have the new suspension or not. This is our first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to. So if i picked the car up November 5 (VIN was assigned October 31), is it safe to assume the care was made after the announced 10/17 date for the switch-over?
The person at the delivery center can lookup what mine called the "actual factory gated date". My VIN of F574 (2022) assigned to me on October 14th had a factory gated date of October 14th. Supposedly Oct 7th and onward have updated suspension. 585 should have it although Tesla VINs aren't always perfectly sequential. But if it was assigned Oct 31st I'd say you have the new suspension.

Funny if we all that think we have the comfort suspension are experiencing a placebo effect...
It is hard to say because the suspension has already changed over the years without any announcement. Ryan Shaw said his source at Tesla claims it has had numerous tweaks.
I guess one would want to drive a 2020, mid-2022 and Nov 2022 car back to back to see what the differences are.
I'd never driven or even sat in a MY before I took delivery 2 weeks ago. I have no comparison to go off of. All I know is there is no way what I'm felling with the suspension matches up to harsh ride reports of 2020/early2021 MYs.
I'm happy with the suspension in my car but certainly curious if this is the latest comfort suspension or just the previous improvements before this latest announcement.

Reactions: DrGriz
It is hard to say because the suspension has already changed over the years without any announcement. Ryan Shaw said his source at Tesla claims it has had numerous tweaks.
I guess one would want to drive a 2020, mid-2022 and Nov 2022 car back to back to see what the differences are.
I'd never driven or even sat in a MY before I took delivery 2 weeks ago. I have no comparison to go off of. All I know is there is no way what I'm felling with the suspension matches up to harsh ride reports of 2020/early2021 MYs.
I'm happy with the suspension in my car but certainly curious if this is the latest comfort suspension or just the previous improvements before this latest announcement.
Same. Never rode on a MY until we took delivery of ours. When we placed our order, it was online and when we went to the stores, they just sold ALL of their cars, end of fiscal year or whatever and they won't have cars for a bit, haha.

I was assigned a VIN PF597 for delivery this Saturday. I went to the lot to look it over early. The photos I took match the "previous damper." Where did these photos come from? Are you sure that it is correct?

So, at this point, I'd just search for a photo of what the new suspension part looks like, and one of the old, on this site, and compare to yours. I wouldn't count on VIN numbers to tell you anything.
Folks, the photos "kithytom" posted DO NOT SHOW any suspension comfort change! Ignore those photos. All they show is a new upper control arm, which has nothing to do with suspension comfort differences.

The upper control arm bearing has been a common failure point on the 3/Y over the years. Tesla has gone through many revisions of that part as they attempt to improve its reliability, but it is NOT the source of any discomfort issues with the suspension.

As far as we know on TMC so far, there is NOT any obvious visual difference between the latest and previous dampers. You need to compare part numbers.

Folks, the photos "kithytom" posted DO NOT SHOW any suspension comfort change! Ignore those photos. All they show is a new upper control arm, which has nothing to do with suspension comfort differences.

The upper control arm bearing has been a common failure point on the 3/Y over the years. Tesla has gone through many revisions of that part as they attempt to improve its reliability, but it is NOT the source of any discomfort issues with the suspension.

As far as we know on TMC so far, there is NOT any obvious visual difference between the latest and previous dampers. You need to compare part numbers.
Good to know. I was not aware that there was no external visible difference. Thanks for clarifying that.

All the same, I would also not rely on VINs. As @tm1v2 pointed out, you would need to get the PN for those parts in your car.

Good to know. I was not aware that there was no external visible difference. Thanks for clarifying that.

All the same, I would also not rely on VINs. As @tm1v2 pointed out, you would need to get the PN for those parts in your car.
I mean, there COULD be a visual change. Certainly possible. But it's also possible only the internals are different, which are generally the key part anyways. I've been trying to follow all the discussions about this on TMC and haven't yet seen any evidence of an obvious visual change on the exterior of the dampers.

Tesla has gone through multiple revisions of Model Y (and Model 3) dampers already without any obvious visual changes, from the photos I've seen, though to be fair I haven't closely examined older and newer revisions firsthand.

Reactions: DrGriz
Check the other thread. Dampers are on rev F for LR and E for MYP and it was confirmed rev E since someone snapped pics of the damper codes on their new MYP.
Thread link please. I have 2022 Jun build MYP and it has 1188465-00-E suspension on the back, and I find back particulars harsh to my liking. Wondering if they improved on it?

I received a Model Y from Freemont last week (PF582). I am assuming I have the new comfort suspension.

Compared to my 2019 Model 3, the ride is much smoother on good roads and on the highway.

However it is terrible on bad roads. Very bouncy and the interior gets loud, like you are inside a beating drum...

I used a decibel meter on my phone on a road near my home. On my Model 3 it registers an average of 69db. On my Model Y it registers an average of 78db on the same segment.

Something might be wrong with it, I will go to the service center to have it checked.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I received a Model Y from Freemont last week (PF582). I am assuming I have the new comfort suspension.

Compared to my 2019 Model 3, the ride is much smoother on good roads and on the highway.

However it is terrible on bad roads. Very bouncy and the interior gets loud, like you are inside a beating drum...

I used a decibel meter on my phone on a road near my home. On my Model 3 it registers an average of 69db. On my Model Y it registers an average of 78db on the same segment.

Something might be wrong with it, I will go to the service center to have it checked.
MYP or MYLR?