Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Desired Features and Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I see only negatives in higher ground clearance. For some people it will be harder to enter and leave and this isn't an off road or heavy cargo vehicle in any event.

Some... maybe. But the 3 is low enough to be harder than a higher car for most people. I'm not talking about off road or cargo, just like say the clearance of any other SUV/cross over. Like say a Subaru Crosstrek. The M3 is 5.5" and if you drive in the winter is not an unusual amount of snow. I'm not talking lifted jeep territory, just an extra inch or two above a sports sedan. Should be easier to get in/out of for most.

Some... maybe. But the 3 is low enough to be harder than a higher car for most people. I'm not talking about off road or cargo, just like say the clearance of any other SUV/cross over. Like say a Subaru Crosstrek. The M3 is 5.5" and if you drive in the winter is not an unusual amount of snow. I'm not talking lifted jeep territory, just an extra inch or two above a sports sedan. Should be easier to get in/out of for most.

Agreed!! That’s all. Just give me the height of a Ford Escape or something and I’d be thrilled.

One of the main reasons I would not get an X are the FWDs - however 'sexy' they are! Just too complicated - especially as we would keep the car indefinitely and I'd fear having to fix them in the future. So ditto the Y (which is likely my next car)

I like the idea which I have seen somewhere of having a smaller 'boot' hatch within the main hatch so one can access the boot without opening the rear hatch - particularly in rainy/windy weather. This could be light and easy and not powered but the main hatch (with the extra weight) would be powered anyway.

This would set the Tesla apart (unless I've missed some other production SUV with this feature. It could easily be an option as well - even a retro fit....

My 2014 Honda Pilot has this style of hatch. Definitely convenient.

Just for reference:
1994 Acura GSR (FWD, small sporty coup) = 4.2" Often had the dreaded snow lifting car issue on the highway
2002 Subaru WRX (AWD, sporty sedan) = 6.1" Occasionally, had the car lifting issues, even on major highways.
2004 Subaru Forester XT (AWD, sporty SUV/Crossover) = 7.5" Plenty, never had issues on a highway
Ford Escape (mentioned on this thread) = 7.9"
Audi Q5 (on this thread) = 8.2"
Subaru Crosstrek (very popular) = 8.7"
Dodge Journey (kbb claims most popular) = 7.2"

Hopefully the model Y is 7" or so. None of the above are high enough to be hard to get in/out of, if anything it's easier to get out of since you don't have to climb up as much to get out. I suspect ease of ingress/egress is part of why small SUVs/crossovers are so popular. It's also much less worrisome to drive around. Ramps to/from parking lots, driveways, speed bumps, uneven pavement, steep pavement transitions, wheelstops/parking chocks/curp stops etc are all easily handled without bottoming out or hitting the bodywork.

Hell in Sierras I've seen pine cones bigger than 5.5" (the model 3 clearance).

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but I'm going to be really interested in what hardware is included for EAP/FSD? Will they announce more and/or better cameras, second radar unit, improved protection for snow/rain etc.
Tesla keeps stating the Model 3 and more recent builds of the S/X have all the hardware they need for FSD. Frankly, I doubt that and what they announce for the Model Y will be telling.

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but I'm going to be really interested in what hardware is included for EAP/FSD? Will they announce more and/or better cameras, second radar unit, improved protection for snow/rain etc.
Tesla keeps stating the Model 3 and more recent builds of the S/X have all the hardware they need for FSD. Frankly, I doubt that and what they announce for the Model Y will be telling.

Telsa has mentioned the AP3/HW3 hardware with approximately 10x the performance as testing in 2018 and shipping on Tesla in 2019. It's using a custom chip designed by Jim Keller who did a pretty amazing job on various AMD and Apple chips. Tesla seems to be thinking that this upgrade might be necessary to enable FSD, but would be paired with the same sensors that have been shipping on Teslas for awhile now.

If nothing else hopefully said sensors will work slightly better on the model Y, if for no other reason than they are slightly higher than they would be on the lower model 3.

I think the Peugeot 5008 or Skoda Kodiak has the rear seat option with sliding seats I would like. 7 seats an option. The cargo space is good also.
peugeot_5008_layout10-3.192448.19.jpg

My I-PACE lifts to just below 10 inches at high to shapeshift to a tractor. Air suspension would be nice, and JLRs off-road driving modes. Fix points for roof racks and doors with frames!
Screenshot_20190309-232054_Photos.jpg

Land Rover has some cool camera tech that allows you to see through the car, and a camera based rear view mirror.

I don't think they have to announce anything like that at this point. Never did in the early M3 announcements.

My feeling is those things will be announced on an S/X refresh first. If not, perhaps on the Y, but closer to actual release.

Telsa has mentioned the AP3/HW3 hardware with approximately 10x the performance as testing in 2018 and shipping on Tesla in 2019. It's using a custom chip designed by Jim Keller who did a pretty amazing job on various AMD and Apple chips. Tesla seems to be thinking that this upgrade might be necessary to enable FSD, but would be paired with the same sensors that have been shipping on Teslas for awhile now.

If nothing else hopefully said sensors will work slightly better on the model Y, if for no other reason than they are slightly higher than they would be on the lower model 3.

I don't think they have to announce anything like that at this point. Never did in the early M3 announcements.

My feeling is those things will be announced on an S/X refresh first. If not, perhaps on the Y, but closer to actual release.

They may not announce the information but since there are giving rides you can be sure people will notice a change in the number or location of cameras.

I agree with everything you state but that still doesn't address the problem the current cameras have with ice and snow which if bad enough disengages autopilot. I have also had this happen in severe rain. I am assuming the Y compliments of cameras, radar and ultrasonics will be improved from the Model 3. The question is how?

Looking to replace RX350 with the Y but I like reliability in extreme weather swings - hot and humid summers and long and cold winters with road salt, etc. So no falcon wings, no air suspension (I had a RX300 with air suspension that cost C$1,400/each), regular door handles, windows with frames. Basically, a Tesla but a dependable and reliable Tesla. It would probably cheaper to make and fewer requirements on the service center infrastructure, plus better for the environment if you're not junking parts that don't work.

Reactions: Gen3
Every Tesla seems to have a signature feature in additon to their all electric drive. Wonder what will be the signature of the Y.

Roadster. Topless sporty.
Model S. Beauty and Grace.
Model X Falcon wing door and 7 seater.
Model 3 Efficient and nimble value.
Semi Hauls the goods
Pickup Bad Ass
New Roadster. Faster than fast!
Model Y ?

Why do you think that? The sensors had the same problems in the S, then in the X, now they have the same problems in the 3. I don’t see them changing anything.
Wishful thinking I guess. I would think by now they would have a better idea of the shortcomings and would make some improvements. However, it also very possible they now realize removing the need for the driver to take over in edge cases is not going to happen anytime soon so if that is true perhaps they don't change much. It wasn't long ago they said your car could go off on it's own and provide Uber like service. How many people expect that to happen in the next 2-3 years?

Last edited:
I am hoping for sleek, nice headlights and taillights. I really find the back of the model 3 very boring and dated. To be blunt, do not like any of the headlight or taillight designs on the s/3/x. Something unique and distinctive would be great (eg. Volvo Thor's hammer).