Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y DIY Xpel Ultimate PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, the headlight pieces are the easiest, and that's what I recommend to the beginners. The hood is easy to apply, but it is also very easy to get debris under it since it is a large piece. Also, it is very hard to get those debris out if they are located further from the edges.
So, I highly recommend start doing the headlights first.
Those side mirrors are the hardest because of many sharp curves, and then the front bumper is the next hard thing because it has many curves and just large (worst combination).
This is so very true! I did the hood first and have four hairs under there, one right in the middle. The light wasn't good when I did this. It is the first thing everyone sees when they look at my car. Going to redo the hood when it warms up.

I did years ago a full sheet for the front bumper. I posted pictures somewhere. It was super difficult. Did not come out well at all haha. The hood and headlights is pretty easy as mentioned. Definitely buy the precut for the front bumpers.

This I think by far is the better video of how to install the front bumper.

after reading this thread, it seems like getting the front bumper professionally installed and DIY the other desired panels might be the best middle-ground approach to saving some money and getting a decent end result. Anyone do this?
I did not do that, but it is not a bad plan. Or, you could do the other parts first and see how confident you become. I think you can do it. Just make sure you have an assistant. That makes things much more easier for everything.

I did not do that, but it is not a bad plan. Or, you could do the other parts first and see how confident you become. I think you can do it. Just make sure you have an assistant. That makes things much more easier for everything.
This ended up being good advice. I did the hood, A-pillars, mirrors, headlights, fog lights, fenders - I definitely started at "****, this is hard", trapped a good amount of air and moisture. But my confidence got exponentially higher after each piece. I'm feeling really good now and I'm about to order the front bumper and most of the other pieces (doors, quarter panels, and rear bumper. don't think I care to do the lift gate).

Reactions: JonB65
@jimmerjohn123 how'd the front bumper go if you did it ? I keep coming back to this thread. Tempted to do it but afraid. I only want the front. It seems like the part that's most in harms way or at least getting the occasional scuff. Like others, it's not worth $1500 to save the few scrapes and chips and I'm now well warned and won't overestimate my skills getting a decent application. Hoping that the pointers here are enough to make it pass minimum acceptable quality.

@jimmerjohn123 how'd the front bumper go if you did it ? I keep coming back to this thread. Tempted to do it but afraid. I only want the front. It seems like the part that's most in harms way or at least getting the occasional scuff. Like others, it's not worth $1500 to save the few scrapes and chips and I'm now well warned and won't overestimate my skills getting a decent application. Hoping that the pointers here are enough to make it pass minimum acceptable quality.
personal experience with the bumper:
- needs 2 ppl. one to keep stretched, one to tack down at the same time
- dust control, floor must be immaculate
- use the slip solution as a form of dust control. spray liberally to slide dust away
- be familiar with the pressure needed on squeegee, too little and you get large air pockets
- bumper is about 5x harder than hood, doors, fenders
- start in AM, never in evening

It took me 3 hours just for bumper, a DIY will never come out perfect, there will be small dust specks here and there and corners not as neat. dont DIY if you are OCD. I found the tesbros video the best to follow

The front bumper now with vehicles with no ultra sonic sensors is so much easier then with the sensors. Done about 6 bumpers now as DIY for myself and friends and ya I can do it in less than 2 hours now.

It looks so easy when others on YouTube do it. But when it’s my turn, no matter how carefully I follow the instructions. I end up scraping and scraping and scraping for hours on one part playing whack a mole with those wedges that keep popping up.

dont DIY if you are OCD.
Yeah that's the conclusion I came to (by watching a ton of videos and reading about people's experiences).

I was thinking I would try this, but the more I dug...the more I think the imperfections would irritate me. Most of the YouTube videos don't show you the "dry" results a few days/a week later, and the reality is that there's going to be imperfections when you're not a pro working in a tightly controlled environment.

Having little spots and specks that can never be removed, little edges showing in some spots...it would drive me nuts.

I've never PPF'd a car and I've managed to keep them in really good shape, I do a ceramic coat, and I am pretty good at touchup paint if something does get chipped.

Taking a road trip across the usa. Would painters tape be a good idea to tape up my bumper and some of the hood just to protect from bugs and small rock chips? I don't want to PPF the car and just want some temporary protection on this 9k mile roadtrip and being on the highway for the majority of it. Any advice would be appreciated. i bought red painters tape rolls and waiting to see how it looks.

Taking a road trip across the usa. Would painters tape be a good idea to tape up my bumper and some of the hood just to protect from bugs and small rock chips? I don't want to PPF the car and just want some temporary protection on this 9k mile roadtrip and being on the highway for the majority of it. Any advice would be appreciated. i bought red painters tape rolls and waiting to see how it looks.
The painters tape will be exposed to extreme heat and moisture and more for several days or weeks depending on your trip. It might leave very sticky residue afterwards and you might have extremely frustrating experience trying to remove it.

Reactions: Doublea88
They make a lower strength adhesive PPF for this exact purpose...;)

Reactions: nate704