Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

Just ordered the MY and I'm super excited!

I have been reading that the ride/suspension can be bumpy almost everywhere (still super excited nonetheless).

But is the ride really THAT rough? I'm an Average Joe who knows nothing about cars and never did any modifications. I'moming from a 1998 Honda Accord and my fiance's 2005 Honda Accord. So it can only get better from there right?

It's probably all relative for everyone, and I will be test driving it next week so that's probably the only way to tell for me personally but I was curious on your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Coming out of a Model S with air suspension into my Model Y was certainly a transition. There is no question that the ride is stiffer. BUT, some folks like that. My wife would always complain the the Model S made her car sick. She prefers the stiffer ride as opposed to the gentler swaying of the S.

This is a really subjective area so it's good that you are going to take a test drive. I haven't driven a Honda in years so I can't really compare the two.

To sum it up, yes, stiffer ride and you feel more of the road, but I would also say better handling and when you are on a good surface, it's very smooth.

Reactions: alexcue and jpfive
Hi All!

I have been reading that the ride/suspension can be bumpy almost everywhere (still super excited nonetheless).

But is the ride really THAT rough? I'm an Average Joe who knows nothing about cars and never did any modifications. I'moming from a 1998 Honda Accord and my fiance's 2005 Honda Accord. So it can only get better from there right?

It's probably all relative for everyone, and I will be test driving it next week so that's probably the only way to tell for me personally but I was curious on your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
I also prefer a stiffer ride but coming from an accord I think you’re going to find it stiff. Personally, by the way you worded your post, I think you’ll get used to it.

If you’ve been in a BMW with run flats, that’ll give you an idea but the Y is not as bad IMO. I had a 2012 X5 diesel with Michelin Latitude run flats and it was like driving on rocks. Then went to a ‘18 Audi SQ5 (my prior car to the Y) and it was a lot better. The Y’s stiffness reminds me of my SQ5.

My gf never mentioned the Y is stiff...not that this anecdote helps since it’s subjective. Haha.

The MY LR AWD suspension is not rough. With the stock tires, you will feel more road imperfections, but I would not call it harsh or bouncy. Cars I have owned that I would describe as harsh in comparison to the MY are a 2007 Civic Si, a 2013 WRX, and a 2014 Focus SE. I switched to the MY from a 2015 Forester, and while the Forester was pretty squishy over the rough dirt roads around my neighborhood, I prefer the firmer ride of MY because it simply handles like a dream, so responsive, low center of gravity, and higher grip level than I can fully make use of without driving like a complete hooligan. I hope you enjoy your car! It is amazing!

It is firm and some of the tire options are fairly low profile which makes the ride rougher. I think it gets complaints because MY buyers are coming from a really wide background—you have folks who are coming from economy cars, sports sedans, luxury SUVs, etc. Somebody coming from a Navigator is going to think the ride is uncomfortable. Somebody coming from a C63 is going to think it is smooth.

It’s tuned to be on the sporty side and I don’t think it’s much different than you’d see in comparable cars like an X3m40 or GLC 43. It probably is a bit crashier over big bumps.

I also prefer a stiffer ride but coming from an accord I think you’re going to find it stiff. Personally, by the way you worded your post, I think you’ll get used to it.

If you’ve been in a BMW with run flats, that’ll give you an idea but the Y is not as bad IMO. I had a 2012 X5 diesel with Michelin Latitude run flats and it was like driving on rocks. Then went to a ‘18 Audi SQ5 (my prior car to the Y) and it was a lot better. The Y’s stiffness reminds me of my SQ5.

My gf never mentioned the Y is stiff...not that this anecdote helps since it’s subjective. Haha.

My daughter's X5 was one of the worst riding cars I have ever been in. She and I both agree that the Model Y is an improvement. I'm an old guy (74), but I love the ride of my Y. It's not 'cushy', but it's solid without being harsh. It also steers and handles very well. Enjoy the car OP.

I think you really cannot talk about the ride quality of any car without also talking about the wheel size and tires as they make a HUGE difference in ride quality. When I bought my BMW 535 it had 19" wheels with run flat tires. The ride was horrible even though the car has "Adaptive Drive." I changed to 18" wheels with non run flat tires that are known for a softer ride (Pirelli Cinturato P7) and the ride quality is dramatically better. If you are concerned about ride quality in the Model Y you should certainly get the 19" Gemini wheels. If you don't like the ride you can always switch to a more forgiving tire. Of course, you could also change to 18" wheels and/or change the springs.

I don't yet have a Y, but I have driven a Y many times and I think the 19" wheels on the long-range version are acceptable in terms of ride quality.

What are the chances the suspension softens up a bit more over time?
It has not does so thus far with mine (1,900+ miles/2+months in). I was waiting for it to settle in also, but it really has not changed much from initial ride quality.
But I do find the steering wheel a bit more stiffer/tight.
You can adjust the steering feel inside the car. Put it in comfort mode.

Is the ride bouncy?

Last year at this time I test drive an X3 40i and it was SO bouncy on the interstate. I then drove a Model 3 and it was fantastic. I have a family of four plus a dog, so I decided to wait on the Model Y. I'm still waiting. I know when the Model 3 came out people complained of a rough ride and at some point they fixed it. I'm hoping for a similar fix on the Y.

Is the ride bouncy?

Last year at this time I test drive an X3 40i and it was SO bouncy on the interstate. I then drove a Model 3 and it was fantastic. I have a family of four plus a dog, so I decided to wait on the Model Y. I'm still waiting. I know when the Model 3 came out people complained of a rough ride and at some point they fixed it. I'm hoping for a similar fix on the Y.

I dont think its bouncy at all... Just a stiffer ride.

Reactions: Noflash
Yes, this is purely subjective. Keep in mind that the MY is a very high performance vehicle. Floor it and you'll begin to understand. I like how it feels planted and carves.

I came from cars with sports suspension so I felt right in place. That being said, I purposely stuck with the 19s and Contis (for now).

Hi All!

Thanks!

Is the ride bouncy?

I think the X3 40i sets the bar for the worst riding car in the world. I couldn't believe it when we test drove it. Would have bought it if the ride wasn't so harsh that it made both of us car sick, which never happens in any other car. I feel we should all say a prayer now for the X3 40i owners.

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
I think the X3 40i sets the bar for the worst riding car in the world. I couldn't believe it when we test drove it. Would have bought it if the ride wasn't so harsh that it made both of us car sick, which never happens in any other car. I feel we should all say a prayer now for the X3 40i owners.
Actually I remember I replaced the horrible run-flat tires, that must have helped a lot as well. For an ICE vehicle it was brilliant, except for the auto-steer which was really only usable on straight highways without too much traffic.