Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y dropping in price soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not want to share our chargers unless other manufacturers commit to providing their own charger networks that tesla can use which are almost as equal. Most of the non tesla chargers out their suck big time.

I understand the ChargePoint L2’s are slow, but what’s wrong with the DCFC Electrify America?
(Or, does your area not have these?)

I understand the ChargePoint L2’s are slow, but what’s wrong with the DCFC Electrify America?
(Or, does your area not have these?)
I do I am just saying if infra is shared, the sharing should only be allowed if the infra is to be improved. We need to ultimately make every gas station have EV spots. Also, if we make staying at gas/ev stations longer, franchises and even gas stations have incentives to make their property better. Gas stations in the USA are garbage, other countries have gas stations where you can have a nice meal and relax vibe.

I do I am just saying if infra is shared, the sharing should only be allowed if the infra is to be improved. We need to ultimately make every gas station have EV spots. Also, if we make staying at gas/ev stations longer, franchises and even gas stations have incentives to make their property better. Gas stations in the USA are garbage, other countries have gas stations where you can have a nice meal and relax vibe.

In the US, gas station owners are just regular folks like you and the rest of us. This is not how many other countries work.
It’s a lot easier and cheaper to just add EV stalls in parking lots here and there throughout a neighborhood.

Personally, I'd rather NOT have a gas station be the default location for chargers. Many of them are on small properties which lend themselves to the chargers being blocked either by accident or on purpose (ICEing).

Yep. 16 months. Zero issues. Incredibly reliable.

All the geezers at Ford can talk to you because they're sitting around doing nothing lol

Model Y SR is pretty great value. Will sell well

I hope it will sell.

For same range ID4 cost $10k less with government and state tax incentives .
Plus free charge for 3 years.

MY SR is $44k with color you choose. Its still expensive for city car

"demand is still strong or the Model Y" . Yeah right,.... They want you to think that way..... MY price will go down very soon, and RWD will cost at least 4-5k less then AWD. Plus you will get other upgrades if you wait.
But this question you shouldn`t ask here, Tesla fanboys don`t like discussion about lowering the price, they already own Tesla and it will affect their car value.

I hope it will sell.

For same range ID4 cost $10k less with government and state tax incentives .
Plus free charge for 3 years.

MY SR is $44k with color you choose. Its still expensive for city car

So basically what you're saying is that the MY RWD is lower than your initial expectations, but yet unsatisfied with the price?
What would be the price point where you'd actually buy?

I agree, it's an expensive city car, you can find much better deals on non-tesla ev's, but personally, I want something more fun and practical than the bolt, leaf, i3, fiat, etc.

ICE is still cheaper, the new crv, rav4, cx5 all are great

Or wait for ID4, Ariya, other Hyundai/Kia ones coming out, there's a market for everyone

So basically what you're saying is that the MY RWD is lower than your initial expectations, but yet unsatisfied with the price?
What would be the price point where you'd actually buy?

I agree, it's an expensive city car, you can find much better deals on non-tesla ev's, but personally, I want something more fun and practical than the bolt, leaf, i3, fiat, etc.

ICE is still cheaper, the new crv, rav4, cx5 all are great

Or wait for ID4, Ariya, other Hyundai/Kia ones coming out, there's a market for everyone

I agree MY is fun car to drive. And for me personally is worth more money.

But for average customer is still very expensive.
When i heard yesterday about new SR MY i immediately called my friends telling them about this "great " deal.

One told me his already ordered ID4 will still cost him $10k less with government and state incentives.
Other one still think toyota prime rav4 with 42 electric miles is better deal.

And they both were waiting for MY long range which will not happen any soon now.

I dont know, it will be interesting to see how many MY Tesla is going to sell

Just don't understand people who comes in here trying to make a point about cheaper alternate and knock Tesla pricing.

People who wants Tesla will buy a Tesla... People who wants Ford, VW will buy those. Plenty of choices for everybody. Go with what you are happy with. Let other people enjoy the car they chose to buy.
I'm not going to assume your background/financial status, but if you can, please try to put yourself in position of someone that's budget constrained.
42k may not be a lot of money to you, but for most people, it's A LOT. I know plenty of people that want to buy a tesla, but upon hearing the price, shy away from it. I had to educate them on that Tesla has arguably the best depreciation, will end up costing less than a 25k Honda Accord. For most people, money matters.
Now this may sound mean, to directly contradict your first sentence. I just don't understand people that come in here trying to knock people having a real honest real life money conversation.
Another example, when you go car shopping for a mid size sedan, do you just go buy Honda Accord and forget the rest? I believe most people would probably evaluate Camry, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, etc. and PRICE MATTERS. Now pretend to use your same sentence again as a Honda Accord fan, "just don't understand why why make a point about cheaper alternative and knock Honda Pricing. People who want Honda will buy Honda."
I apologize if I misinterpret your intention, but it sure sounds like you're a die hard tesla guy that can't stand any potentially negative conversation on tesla.

I think you've misinterpreted or misread some of the previous posts. Everyone here would agree that there are many reasons to buy a car other than Tesla. Cost, brand preference, fit and finish, personal circumstances etc. However there are about 1,000,000+ other forums on the internet for people with those reasons. At the risk of stating the obvious, this website is called "Tesla Motors Club", so if you're a huge Hyuandi fan you may be in the wrong place.

Reactions: DanDi58
In the US, gas station owners are just regular folks like you and the rest of us. This is not how many other countries work.
It’s a lot easier and cheaper to just add EV stalls in parking lots here and there throughout a neighborhood.

most are individually owned and franchised. Converting gas stations to EV charging could be the future since most of them don't make much from the fill up but rather the goods they sell at the stores attached. The longer wait time for charging EV could make up for them.

Technically US could pass a law to require gas station to provide EV chargers.... that will be the day...

I'm not going to assume your background/financial status, but if you can, please try to put yourself in position of someone that's budget constrained.
42k may not be a lot of money to you, but for most people, it's A LOT. I know plenty of people that want to buy a tesla, but upon hearing the price, shy away from it. I had to educate them on that Tesla has arguably the best depreciation, will end up costing less than a 25k Honda Accord. For most people, money matters.
Now this may sound mean, to directly contradict your first sentence. I just don't understand people that come in here trying to knock people having a real honest real life money conversation.
Another example, when you go car shopping for a mid size sedan, do you just go buy Honda Accord and forget the rest? I believe most people would probably evaluate Camry, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, etc. and PRICE MATTERS. Now pretend to use your same sentence again as a Honda Accord fan, "just don't understand why why make a point about cheaper alternative and knock Honda Pricing. People who want Honda will buy Honda."
I apologize if I misinterpret your intention, but it sure sounds like you're a die hard tesla guy that can't stand any potentially negative conversation on tesla.

This is a very strange post. It's like asking Ferrari to make a $35k car because I can't afford the 250k but I want to drive one.

We get it. The world has different economic class. But, there is a reason why Toyota has Lexus and VW has Porsche and Audi.....

most are individually owned and franchised. Converting gas stations to EV charging could be the future since most of them don't make much from the fill up but rather the goods they sell at the stores attached. The longer wait time for charging EV could make up for them.

Technically US could pass a law to require gas station to provide EV chargers.... that will be the day...

No. What are you thinking of? Having a full service cafe? The convenience store at the stations make a lot in food and lotto ticket sales because the doors are constantly opening and closing with people buying the overpriced stuff. Having a limited number of people sit down for 30+ minutes at a time is definitely not going to empty those shelves. For each gas pump in a 30 minute span, you could have up to 10 customers buy something in the store while filling up. With one EV charging customer, do you seriously think the store can make up the same revenue/profit as ten gas customers? I highly doubt that.

It’s too expensive enough just to clean up the site and repurpose it for EV charging for many of these site owners. Plus both the landlord and the operator (in many cases) would have to agree.

I remember there were some test sites on the East Coast somewhere that have done this transformation. But, they only did it because the entire cost was paid for by local government money.

At the risk of stating the obvious, this website is called "Tesla Motors Club", so if you're a huge Hyuandi fan you may be in the wrong place.

This is probably why I was banned on MachEForum in two days when I pointed to "obvious" problems of Ford.
But I should say the level of fanaticism at Ford forum is way higher than here. Sometimes it reads as a branch of TSLAQ discussion board. Many of them believe that Tesla superchargers often fail and that Mach-E can be charged at 350 kW.

On topic, Tesla is an expensive car for a majority of population. One of the Tesla missions is to make electric transportation affordable for masses. This, in my opinion includes making EVs accessible and widespread generally, not just limit the choice to Tesla. Under this premise, it makes sense to me to discuss price points of vehicles other than Tesla.

Reactions: DanCar

I think what you say may work but probably not in the way you suggest.
Here is my step-by-step take on it:
1) Imagine the number of EVs is increasing year-by-year replacing ICE vehicles.
2) The need in charging infrastructure (and especially high power infrastructure) outside your home/parking lot is A LOT less than the need for gas pumps. EVs do not typically go to a Supercharger every time they need to fill up (I am not talking here about Model S owners permanently occupying superchargers for free charging).
3) Some of the gas station companies will probably survive positioning themselves as 24/7 grocery stores with a couple of gasoline pumps and a couple of EV chargers. They probably will close most of their locations and build some larger stores at street corners. Most of the smaller gas stations will go out of business.
4) We are going to have a lot of empty lots at street corners in 15 years.
5) EVs require a robust charging infrastructure along traveled routes (that's what Tesla is finishing to build now). Nothing more, really.
6) There is a huge opportunity, I believe, to build small roadside restaurants/entertainment/hotels next to fast EV charging stations. Many of the EV chargers are still in empty-field places with facilities as far as half a mile from them.
7) Major grocery store chains and malls may soon start providing widespread free L2 chargers for customers as a way to compete with other stores. For example, I hope to see Costco will soon place discounted or free chargers in their parking lots.

So, mandating EV chargers at gas stations will not really work as the need for them is rather limited and many gas stations will go out of business anyway. Also, some gas station chains are starting already to mass-install EV chargers. For example, look at this:
Finding the right fuel for you - Kum & Go
"An increasing amount of our locations now carry universal EV charging stations and Tesla Supercharger stations."
Document

No. What are you thinking of? Having a full service cafe? The convenience store at the stations make a lot in food and lotto ticket sales because the doors are constantly opening and closing with people buying the overpriced stuff. Having a limited number of people sit down for 30+ minutes at a time is definitely not going to empty those shelves. For each gas pump in a 30 minute span, you could have up to 10 customers buy something in the store while filling up. With one EV charging customer, do you seriously think the store can make up the same revenue/profit as ten gas customers? I highly doubt that.

It’s too expensive enough just to clean up the site and repurpose it for EV charging for many of these site owners. Plus both the landlord and the operator (in many cases) would have to agree.

I remember there were some test sites on the East Coast somewhere that have done this transformation. But, they only did it because the entire cost was paid for by local government money.

you are assuming the rate of charge and the tech remains unchanged. Same as back when suggesting video watching on YouTube will not have the growth cause internet speed maxed out at 64kps back in the days.

One also need to think about not the gas stations around your neighborhood blocks. Those will probably not survived as home, work, stores and public charging will replace them.

I was referring to highway roads, during road trips where one might need to fill up out of service stations along interstate highways or remote areas.

you are also thinking that the limited number of pumps conversion. Most gas stations have parking spots and that can have chargers added in addition to gas pumps. Win win for everyone

You totally misinterpret what I'm saying... My post is all about buy what you want and what appeals to you with in your budget. I know a lot of people who wants a Tesla too, but knows what financial situation they are in. And no I'm not a tesla guy. I'm a car guy. I own 3 cars right now. Lexus, Infiniti, and a Tesla. Currently looking at the new Honda Accord... I'm more of a Lexus and Honda guy. I'm just like many that I like to stick to what I can afford and what appeals to me. No need for me to sign up on another forum and knock the car I can't afford.

Lots of financially savvy people buy used. A lease might be a good decision considering how fast Tesla iterates on the design.

You totally misinterpret what I'm saying... My post is all about buy what you want and what appeals to you with in your budget. I know a lot of people who wants a Tesla too, but knows what financial situation they are in. And no I'm not a tesla guy. I'm a car guy. I own 3 cars right now. Lexus, Infiniti, and a Tesla. Currently looking at the new Honda Accord... I'm more of a Lexus and Honda guy. I'm just like many that I like to stick to what I can afford and what appeals to me. No need for me to sign up on another forum and knock the car I can't afford.