Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model y front seat headrest modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a test drive in the Y yesterday and discovered the front seat head rests are not adjustable. The angle is so sharp forward that if you have your seat reasonably upright, your head is crunched down. I complained to the salesman but there's nothing he could do, of course.

I could tilt the seat back, but then I'll have to reach too far for the steering wheel or crunch up my legs. On long drives, perhaps adjusting the seat every 30 minutes or so could help.

But, I'd like a better solution. Has anyone looked into having a body shop or other trade actually bend the steel bar attaching the head rest ? Just 5-10 degrees would probably be sufficient. Any other suggestions ?

This is a real show stopper. If it's painful to be in the car for more than 30 minutes, I probably shouldn't buy it.

Reactions: Falcon73
Everyone is different.

I've driven mine for 3+ hours continuously for ~8 months without any issues. The M3 has the same seats and people have been taking very long road trips (1000s of miles, 10+ hours continuous) on those seats for years now. That's something like 500,000 M3s sold so far with those seats.

- You can get an aftermarket cushion for the back of your neck.
- Supposedly some people have turned the headrest around.

Reactions: Falcon73
I'm looking at a MY, which will be my first EV. Haven't done a test drive yet, but I did sit in one at a dealer, and was surprised and disappointed the headrests aren't adjustable. I realize people are different, but for me, the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable the headrest was, which seemed to be hitting my head in just the wrong place. I'll need to see how it feels when I'm driving, but if nothing can be done to fix the problem other than having to use an aftermarket cushion, this could be a deal-breaker. I'm also looking at the Mustang Mach E, which I'll check out for comfort soon.

Just talked to a customer service representative today about the issue of non-adjustable headrests. He was surprised that this was the case and offered to
submit a "Feature Request" to Tesla about this issue. Maybe this is a way to create a feature change. Try it! I agree that the headrest positioning is too far forward.!

I gather from the above comment on the video video that the MY seats/headrests are not the same as the 3.

I vote for an aftermarket solution. Honestly, I find the headrest to be the worst I've encountered. On anything except the shortest trips, I find myself with a stiff neck eventually trying to get comfortable.

How could the designers not realize that not everyone is shaped the same???? The seats are adjustable, the steering is adjustable. Is this a case of Tesla trying to save a $?

got these yesterday. On a couple of short drives so far what a difference! hopefully they perform well in the long run as well.
Amazon.com: TESCAMP Car Seat Headrest Car Neck Pillow Uniquely Designed for Tesla Model Y/3 Neck Support Cushion Leather Two Packs White Black: Kitchen & Dining
I’m thinking of buying these on Amazon UK for my Model 3, in white. Like your car, I have white interior seating.
However, I’m doubtful whether these pillows will stay clean and white after a couple of weeks/months since they are more in contact with your neck and hair than the regular seat.
What can you say about this ?
And of course, are they comfortable?

I’m thinking of buying these on Amazon UK for my Model 3, in white. Like your car, I have white interior seating.
However, I’m doubtful whether these pillows will stay clean and white after a couple of weeks/months since they are more in contact with your neck and hair than the regular seat.
What can you say about this ?
And of course, are they comfortable?
They are super comfortable. Cleanliness is highly dependent on your skin/hair, generally speaking the more oil or hair products used the quicker they will get dirtier. Mine still look brand new without any upkeep.

• Informative
Reactions: Epyx
I did a test drive in the Y yesterday and discovered the front seat head rests are not adjustable. The angle is so sharp forward that if you have your seat reasonably upright, your head is crunched down. I complained to the salesman but there's nothing he could do, of course.

I could tilt the seat back, but then I'll have to reach too far for the steering wheel or crunch up my legs. On long drives, perhaps adjusting the seat every 30 minutes or so could help.

But, I'd like a better solution. Has anyone looked into having a body shop or other trade actually bend the steel bar attaching the head rest ? Just 5-10 degrees would probably be sufficient. Any other suggestions ?

This is a real show stopper. If it's painful to be in the car for more than 30 minutes, I probably shouldn't buy it.
Yes, the headrests are a huge problem for Tesla. I went into a Tesla dealer, test drove a Model X (Model Y &3 have the same exact headrests), and told the Tesla salesperson I would not order the car because of the very annoying position of the headrests. She stated that 50% of the people that test drove the Model X told her they would not purchase it because of the forward position of the headrest. I then researched this and discovered the recommended safe distance between the back of your head and the headrest is 2 inches. Tesla positions its headrest to actually touch your head and does not provide those recommended 2 inches that all other manufacturers provide. In addition, she further stated that a majority of her buyers who purchased the vehicle called after owning it a few days and complained about the headrest.

Yes, the headrests are a huge problem for Tesla. I went into a Tesla dealer, test drove a Model X (Model Y &3 have the same exact headrests), and told the Tesla salesperson I would not order the car because of the very annoying position of the headrests. She stated that 50% of the people that test drove the Model X told her they would not purchase it because of the forward position of the headrest. I then researched this and discovered the recommended safe distance between the back of your head and the headrest is 2 inches. Tesla positions its headrest to actually touch your head and does not provide those recommended 2 inches that all other manufacturers provide. In addition, she further stated that a majority of her buyers who purchased the vehicle called after owning it a few days and complained about the headrest.
It's not a 'huge problem' for Tesla, it's an issue for some people. I'm 5' 8" and no issues. My wife is 5' 3" and no issues. A friend is 6' 4" and he has had no issues with them either.

They are super comfortable. Cleanliness is highly dependent on your skin/hair, generally speaking the more oil or hair products used the quicker they will get dirtier. Mine still look brand new without any upkeep.
Fortunately they are now available on Amazon.de as well, so no customs nor extra VAT for me. I have them for a week now and I’m pretty chuffed 😀. Recommendable!

It's not a 'huge problem' for Tesla, it's an issue for some people. I'm 5' 8" and no issues. My wife is 5' 3" and no issues. A friend is 6' 4" and he has had no issues with them either.
Notwithstanding your comprehensive study that included a total of 2 other people, the reason it's a huge problem for Tesla is the broad number of lost sales from their botched headrest design. Those potential customers are going to Tesla competitors Toyota, Ford, and Nissan. Patrons of BMW and Porsche dismiss Tesla outright because of their well-publicized build quality, downscale interiors & drab exteriors.

• Funny
Reactions: ZapCarM3
Notwithstanding your comprehensive study that included a total of 2 other people, the reason it's a huge problem for Tesla is the broad number of lost sales from their botched headrest design. Those potential customers are going to Tesla competitors Toyota, Ford, and Nissan. Patrons of BMW and Porsche dismiss Tesla outright because of their well-publicized build quality, downscale interiors & drab exteriors.
'Broad number of lost sales'? You got figures? Last time I checked they are selling every one they make.

That must be why my mythical EDD is three months after my actual Order Date

I bet the past owners of Bentley's and Roll's don't like them either. For me, the headrests and the entire car are absolutely GREAT - No need for "the survey says"...I let my wallet do the talking. Oh, it's not a big deal to modify the headrests, either.

Last edited: