Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model y front seat headrest modification

perih

Mar 13, 2021
king county
I did a test drive in the Y yesterday and discovered the front seat head rests are not adjustable. The angle is so sharp forward that if you have your seat reasonably upright, your head is crunched down. I complained to the salesman but there's nothing he could do, of course.

I could tilt the seat back, but then I'll have to reach too far for the steering wheel or crunch up my legs. On long drives, perhaps adjusting the seat every 30 minutes or so could help.

But, I'd like a better solution. Has anyone looked into having a body shop or other trade actually bend the steel bar attaching the head rest ? Just 5-10 degrees would probably be sufficient. Any other suggestions ?

This is a real show stopper. If it's painful to be in the car for more than 30 minutes, I probably shouldn't buy it.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Everyone is different.

I've driven mine for 3+ hours continuously for ~8 months without any issues. The M3 has the same seats and people have been taking very long road trips (1000s of miles, 10+ hours continuous) on those seats for years now. That's something like 500,000 M3s sold so far with those seats.

- You can get an aftermarket cushion for the back of your neck.
- Supposedly some people have turned the headrest around.

cufflink

Apr 4, 2021
Los Angeles
I'm looking at a MY, which will be my first EV. Haven't done a test drive yet, but I did sit in one at a dealer, and was surprised and disappointed the headrests aren't adjustable. I realize people are different, but for me, the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable the headrest was, which seemed to be hitting my head in just the wrong place. I'll need to see how it feels when I'm driving, but if nothing can be done to fix the problem other than having to use an aftermarket cushion, this could be a deal-breaker. I'm also looking at the Mustang Mach E, which I'll check out for comfort soon.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC