Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well, I think you are wrong.....there not making the 2170 batteries in Texas....and the are not going to supply chain them there......if you watch the build of the Texas plant you would see what happening.....one body, one battery.....they are already making and testing batteries in Texas.....the giga presses are making car bodies.....you correct about one thing: they are not going to make 2 body type cars
No matter how many answers you get you still think your right so Why even ask??? Y will not see that battery update for some time.

Testing with the structural battery pack with 4680 cells in the updated updated MY layout has been going on for the past several months using pre-production MYs. At the Q3 2021 earning call, in October 2021, the following was said (directly copied from a transcript of the earnings call):
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Martin Viecha

Thank you very much. And we will now take questions from institutional and retail shareholders that we posted on our website. The first question is, when should we expect the first vehicles to be delivered with 4680 cells?

Drew Baglino -- Senior Vice President

Yeah. Thanks, Martin. Early next year, from a non-cell perspective, structural, battery, crash, range, and reliability testing are on track to be complete this quarter. Testing is -- to date has gone well, and the Fremont manufacturing line is on track to support.

However, similar to what Zach said before, this is a new architecture and unknown unknowns may exist still. Our top priority is ensuring quality in what we deliver. And from a cell perspective, we are comfortable with the design maturity and manufacturing readiness, matching the pack timeline I just mentioned.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can find the full transcript at the following link:

Let me know where to go see these demo cars once they are available next week.

To be fair, I don’t want anyone to think I don’t believe you.

I believe you have a buddy working in Austin that saw Model Ys loaded on a closed carrier today and snapped a quick photo. I just don’t agree with the assumption those particular Model Ys are going anywhere for the public (sales centers, customers, etc)
He said they were production vehicles. My guess would be they are shipping to showroom then selling at end of Q1. This would mean end of Q1 they would have enough to begin public production supply.

fair enough - I've been wrong before, and I could be wrong again.

I hope this is accurate as I have a MYP due in 2-6 weeks per EDD of Tesla. Would like the "newest" just like everyone else on here. That said I'll take the one Tesla sends, drive it and enjoy it. 1-2 years upgrade and keep enjoying. There is/will always be something newer.
Exactly why I don’t know what the fuss is all about, a year from now everyone will be wanting the next and best thing. I wouldn’t bet on any Austin supplied vehicles until after Q1.

Exactly why I don’t know what the fuss is all about, a year from now everyone will be wanting the next and best thing. I wouldn’t bet on any Austin supplied vehicles until after Q1.

Which is probably why my moms Y was in September purgatory for 2 months( was February-March) if the plan is Austin supplies east coast( with Fremont probably supplementing for a bit as Austin gains steam). Just got a May-June estimate a few days back.

Hey I can hope right? :p But we wouldn't pass if we got a Fremont vehicle on the old process. As you said, Tesla seems to do updates every quarter. You would be delaying forever if you wanted the best and latest.

Historically they wouldn’t do that in secret. They hold “first release” events. Accomplishes the same objective but in a much more public way.

They want all the press and goodwill they can get once Austin starts making saleable vehicles. They won’t be secretive about it. They never have been.
Maybe Elon sent a few Texas Model Y to some friends just to announce that Texas has started production and started shipping to customers during his quarterly reports on Wednesday? He does like to brag about Tesla progress.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I hope, think, wish and tap my heels. It's all truly unknown and to advance a theory or conjecture without evidence is itself speculation.
Yep, there's a few different crowds (MYP awaiting deliveries, MYLR awaiting deliveries, and those that already have their Tesla) each with their own belief systems and each looking for new members. They might qualify as new religions. :)

The main advantage to the consumer is that the 4680 will allow you to charge up to 80% in about 10 minutes . Fo 99% of the people that won't matter but it should help get down the the Gas filling time.

No way you're going ot get 80% charge in 10 mins with current vehicle pack and supercharger architecture, with or without 4680's.

I saw on Wednesday a body of a Y that had no floor, indicating a 4680 battery pack installation...Made at Giga Texas.....if they are making that body there, I think it is safe to think batteries will be 4680....they are no going to make 2 different body style at Texas
except it wasnt made there. It was shipped there to help them get processes squared. And that row of new blue and black ones spotted a few days ago was made mostly there but using many parts brought in from Fremont. The idea they’re going to start arriving in sales centers Monday is crazy talk. Wayyy too many sales centers, way to few “Austin” MYs for Q1

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesraki
The main advantage to the consumer is that the 4680 will allow you to charge up to 80% in about 10 minutes . Fo 99% of the people that won't matter but it should help get down the the Gas filling time.
No way you're going ot get 80% charge in 10 mins with current vehicle pack and supercharger architecture, with or without 4680's.

When I read this, it says based on getting 400 miles on a full charge, the 4680 can charge 200 miles in 12 minutes. I assume that is with a super charger.

It then says, “A charge time of less than 10 minutes up to 80% of the capacity will help further drive electric vehicle usage.” I take that to mean, where we need to get too is to be able to change up to 80% in 10 min, not that the 4680 will change up to 80% in 10 min.

400 kW for the full charging time should do it ;)

AOIJqk8.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
except it wasnt made there. It was shipped there to help them get processes squared. And that row of new blue and black ones spotted a few days ago was made mostly there but using many parts brought in from Fremont. The idea they’re going to start arriving in sales centers Monday is crazy talk. Wayyy too many sales centers, way to few “Austin” MYs for Q1
As of mid-2021 there were about 160 Tesla sales centers in the USA. If Austin has or is building even at a very limited rate MYs then producing enough MYs to be able to ship one to each sales center over the next few weeks doesn't seem unreasonable. I guess we will know a lot more within the next few days. I plan to check with my local sales center Tues. or Wed. to see it their new MY demo unit has arrived, as they were anticipating.

Based on everything else I’ve seen Elon could come out on the 26th and spell out there are no demo cars. Deliveries are end of quarter at best. And the next day someone will post an SAs neighbor overheard them on the phone that Austin cars are shipping tomorrow… and we will be right back to where we are now. Oh and there are pics but they can’t show them… but trust them it’s real! Just like December. And first week of January. And the second week. And 7-10 days. 😅

I guess eventually they will be right! Or maybe Teslas been sneaking ‘em out through a secret underground tunnel! Heh… has anyone seen a Boring Company truck around Austin? 🤣🤣

This Austin production stuff is all pretty out there from what I am seeing on this page. My understanding is that Austin is supposed to begin limited production by the end of Q1. They need to get all the machines calibrated and dial in the quality of the builds. I just don't think Tesla can continue to get away with the production issues they have had in past ramps, now that they are production ~1 million cars a year.

At the end of last year Musk told staff he wanted to optimize for lowering delivery costs, that means better quality control on their deliveries. Any car that needs work post delivery adds to costs. So, I am hoping they will focus on better quality control. I guess time will tell.

Based on everything else I’ve seen Elon could come out on the 26th and spell out there are no demo cars. Deliveries are end of quarter at best. And the next day someone will post an SAs neighbor overheard them on the phone that Austin cars are shipping tomorrow… and we will be right back to where we are now. Oh and there are pics but they can’t show them… but trust them it’s real! Just like December. And first week of January. And the second week. And 7-10 days. 😅

I guess eventually they will be right! Or maybe Teslas been sneaking ‘em out through a secret underground tunnel! Heh… has anyone seen a Boring Company truck around Austin? 🤣🤣
Not buying any of these scenarios. I am holding out the full Two Weeks for the 500-mile range Model 2 Plaid. 1 sec 0-60. $12,000.
My SA says I’ll be able to get it in any color humans can see, and at least three they can’t. Also...here’s the only part I’m skeptical about ...the seats will be cooled.