Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are very interested in trying a 4D1 drive unit in our Tesla Cobra EV race car because of the potential for better cooling. We currently run a 980 drive unit, but suffer from power degradation as stator temperatures rise. We have located a drive unit, but it does not come with HV cable. From photos, it looks like the cast-in-place connector uses a different cable than a standard Model 3/Y drive unit. Can anybody with a 4D1 drive unit poke their head under their car and take a snap of the part number of the cable? I don't think this is a restricted part, so I'm hoping I can buy one over the counter from a friendly Tesla Parts Dept. Thanks!
This connector?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 8.04.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 8.04.10 PM.png
    872.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 8.03.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 8.03.03 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 105
It doesn't matter if the engine is 3d1, 3d5, 3du, 3d7, 4d1, 4d5... they will continue to have the same performance and run the same... the LR or PERF software is what makes the difference... If Otherwise, Tesla gave the option to choose the engine..., forget about unicorns
Newer motors should be progressively more efficient as well as the potential for for power. Whether Tesla allows it to be unlocked in a software update or upgrade remains to be seen, but there’s still the potential for the aftermarket taking advantage of that.

Reactions: lolsups
Not going through 19 pages. Why is this topic important?
7SAYGDEE0PA164466
Mainly because if they have the performance model motors (980/4D1) for the rear motors , customers can opt to buy the "ghost upgrade" mod to enable better acceleration. It was crapshoot before between Austin and Fremont made MY LR models differed. When i was buying my MY LR in March 2023 it seemed like Austin built MY LR base came with the 4D1 rear motors and Fremont built MY LR base with the non performance (990/3D1) rear motors.

Just to be clear, a 980 Is a 3D1 and is the "old" Performance motor.
4D1 is the new Performance Hairpin motor and costs less to build because it contains less rare earth materials. To find out which rear motor you take a picture up under the rear of the drivers side rear tire.

From the quarter mile times posted a page or two back for the LR with 4D1, it does seem the cars are quicker in the quarter than a 990 equipped LR

Would also be interested to see a 980 Performance compared to a new 4D1 Performance race in a quarter mile.

Reactions: JezzaE and MacO512
Just to be clear, a 980 Is a 3D1 and is the "old" Performance motor.
4D1 is the new Performance Hairpin motor and costs less to build because it contains less rare earth materials. To find out which rear motor you take a picture up under the rear of the drivers side rear tire.
From the quarter mile times posted a page or two back for the LR with 4D1, it does seem the cars are quicker in the quarter than a 990 equipped LR

Would also be interested to see a 980 Performance compared to a new 4D1 Performance race in a quarter mile.

So VIN# won't tell you which motor?

Just before this creates any more confusion. The following motors are identical. People just call them differently!
  • 3D3 / 960 - Front Motor in all Dual Motor Model 3/Y
  • 3D1 / 980 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and wire windings (also front motor in Raven MS/MX and rear motor in Refresh MS/MX)
  • 3D5 / 990 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and wire windings
  • 3D6 / 740 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 3D7 / 780 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D1 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D5 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
In Europe we always called these motors by their "lower" codes and since even Tesla stopped using the numbers, I would suggest sticking to the "Number-Letter-Number" Code ;-)

Thanks this is useful!

For those looking to gain additional power with aftermarket solutions such as Ingenext Ghost Mods, the following rear drive motors are compatible, commonaility is the 800A's. The assumption is 4D1 motor shares the same 800A.

• 3D3 / 960 - Front Motor in all Dual Motor Model 3/Y
  • 3D1 / 980 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and wire windings (also front motor in Raven MS/MX and rear motor in Refresh MS/MX)
  • 3D6 / 740 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D1 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I have a Fremont build 23 MY, built end of June.
Looks like 980 / 3D1 motor.
Is that a good thing? Can somebody explain the ghost update?
Ghost is an aftermarket solution for M3LR and MYLR’s that unlocks your car to performance levels of power and some. Not exactly officially supported by Tesla like their Accelleration Boost.

Basically connects inline to your MCU interpreting the signal. Completely undetectable hence the term “Ghost”

You can find more info on this thread: Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

• Informative
Reactions: drb3333 and flixden
Ghost is an aftermarket solution for M3LR and MYLR’s that unlocks your car to performance levels of power and some. Not exactly officially supported by Tesla like their Accelleration Boost.

Basically connects inline to your MCU interpreting the signal. Completely undetectable hence the term “Ghost”

You can find more info on this thread: Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]
Thanks much!
So this"ghost" is compatible with my 980/3D1 motor, right?
Where can I buy the upgrade, and for how much? The link a few posts up doesn't work for me. Getting a 404 Page not found error..

Edit: just noticed your link. 109 pages of reading, lol! 👍🏻

Last edited:
Thanks much!
So this"ghost" is compatible with my 980/3D1 motor, right?
Where can I buy the upgrade, and for how much? The link a few posts up doesn't work for me. Getting a 404 Page not found error..
Correct! Oh wow you’re right! The page is 404. I wonder if it’s related to the latest update with the 740 rear drive motor. That was new.

You’re correct 980 is required.

This is the screen you would have seen.

1698176652634.png

Has anyone here gotten the acceleration boost on the 4D1 motor? Was wondering if there is any difference between those who got it on the 4D1 vs 3D5 motor. I just got a referral and was hoping the 4D1 + AB would get me even closer to performance levels.