Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Austin production stuff is all pretty out there from what I am seeing on this page. My understanding is that Austin is supposed to begin limited production by the end of Q1. They need to get all the machines calibrated and dial in the quality of the builds. I just don't think Tesla can continue to get away with the production issues they have had in past ramps, now that they are production ~1 million cars a year.

At the end of last year Musk told staff he wanted to optimize for lowering delivery costs, that means better quality control on their deliveries. Any car that needs work post delivery adds to costs. So, I am hoping they will focus on better quality control. I guess time will tell.
A voice of reason!

I don't think the two different versions of model y each with their own battery pack type is impossible. 90% of the people who buy it model y don't know anything about 4680 cells. They don't really care, they're just going to buy the tesla. I don't think it'll make any difference to sales. I think they might leave Fremont exactly where it is until things start to speed up at austin.

I have a MY overnight test drive scheduled for Jan 25. I know it's not likely, nor am I expecting it to happen, but, on the off chance it is an Austin-made MY, are there any pics of the vehicle I should snag? Would there be any physical evidence of the 4680 structural pack (ie how the seats are mounted).

P.S. I've read this entire thread so please save the "there's no way it'll be an Austin MY" comments for someone else - I'm just trying to help the community with research, not add to speculation.

I have a MY overnight test drive scheduled for Jan 25. I know it's not likely, nor am I expecting it to happen, but, on the off chance it is an Austin-made MY, are there any pics of the vehicle I should snag? Would there be any physical evidence of the 4680 structural pack (ie how the seats are mounted).

P.S. I've read this entire thread so please save the "there's no way it'll be an Austin MY" comments for someone else - I'm just trying to help the community with research, not add to speculation.
Well, not sure of how to tell if 4680 without ripping out the seats, but get a pic of the VIN so the nay sayers have evidence it’s from Austin

Pic of the vin will tell you.

11th character will have "A" vs "F"

How To Identify A Tesla's Origin: Check Out The 2022 Model Year VIN Decoder

I recall the model y chassis was designed to accept either 2170 or 4680 so it might be an internal thing unless the vehicle user interface shows battery type configuration.

I recall the model y chassis was designed to accept either 2170 or 4680 so it might be an internal thing unless the vehicle user interface shows battery type configuration.
The jackup points are different on from the 2170 to the 4680, its was stated in the manual, a quick peek underneath to locate the different jack up points, or by the vin. I am sure all Austin builds will have the 4680 since that was what Elon stated in 2021. Batteries are being shipped from Kato until Austin gets up and going manufacturing their own batteries.

The jackup points are different on from the 2170 to the 4680, its was stated in the manual, a quick peek underneath to locate the different jack up points, or by the vin. I am sure all Austin builds will have the 4680 since that was what Elon stated in 2021. Batteries are being shipped from Kato until Austin gets up and going manufacturing their own batteries.

He also stated that they have a backup of a structural pack with the 2170 in case the 4680 wasn’t ready. Chassis 2.0 is not dependent on the 4680 battery.

Last edited:
For those who think once 4680s are in mass production that Teslas will suddenly have 500+ miles on the entire lineup, it is not going to happen. Tesla is going to leverage the 4680s in the 3/Y to have the current range or slightly better by using fewer cells. They will not go all out, they are cell constrained and will prioritize volume over range. The only cars that may have boosted range are the Tri-motor/Plaid versions of each class.
I think people need to set expectations accordingly. Just my 2cents

If you can confirm NA###### (Austin) vs NF###### (Fremont), Get a picture of the sticker on the front of the battery pack. It will have the part number. Should be different than the current one, 1104422-02-W. There is a master battery thread in M3 forum that describes the process to get a picture. If the switch to structural doesn’t obscure the front of the battery then this should work. If you get this picture and it looks different than current, we will be able to tell the structural design has changed.

For those who think once 4680s are in mass production that Teslas will suddenly have 500+ miles on the entire lineup, it is not going to happen. Tesla is going to leverage the 4680s in the 3/Y to have the current range or slightly better by using fewer cells. They will not go all out, they are cell constrained and will prioritize volume over range. The only cars that may have boosted range are the Tri-motor/Plaid versions of each class.
Plus cybertruck and semi which need the extra range to even be useable/feasible.

Reactions: 907XCP
This makes sense. Probably give us a modest uptick, but not give away the farm.

Last edited:
You heard it here first! Musk also said we would have robo taxis and FSD by now. And Roadster 2020 (maybe 2023/4). And _______________ (fill in the blanks). Welcome to Tesla World TEXAS-Y-P.

Also, the build plate on the drivers door frame. Will have vin and GVWR amongst other things. That should be different too if it has 4680. If it’s existing 2170L then GVWR would only differ due to mega casts and not that plus batteries.

Well, not sure of how to tell if 4680 without ripping out the seats, but get a pic of the VIN so the nay sayers have evidence it’s from Austin
👍 Will provide a pic of VIN regardless of where it's built.

If you can confirm NA###### (Austin) vs NF###### (Fremont), Get a picture of the sticker on the front of the battery pack. It will have the part number. Should be different than the current one, 1104422-02-W. There is a master battery thread in M3 forum that describes the process to get a picture. If the switch to structural doesn’t obscure the front of the battery then this should work. If you get this picture and it looks different than current, we will be able to tell the structural design has changed.
Thanks, will take a look at that thread.

Also, the build plate on the drivers door frame. Will have vin and GVWR amongst other things. That should be different too if it has 4680. If it’s existing 2170L then GVWR would only differ due to mega casts and not that plus batteries.
Got it, will provide pic of build plate as well.

Are there any other small changes that we're anticipating? I wasn't quite sure if the interior front door panels were eventually going to have the wood/white trim continue on to them from the dash? I think the current M3 has this (according to build configurator anyway) but for the MY, only Shanghai has this currently if I'm not mistaken?

I agree that we should get the facts on these new demo MYs and that may end some of the wild speculation. I also plan on stopping by my local Testla sales center tomorrow and see if they have got their new demo MYs.