Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The upgrade cost is very reasonable at only 4k. The tough part is it comes with some upgrades that for some use cases/preferences are negatives. I'd like the extra power and brakes and would happily pay 4k for those, but would not want these things: the staggered and easily damaged 21 inch wheels with staggered tire sizes; the harsher ride; the lower ride height. Would love to be able to order a P with the better brakes, but without the 21s and with the LR suspension. That would be my ideal. The closest thing to that is an LR with acceleration boost which isn't a great bargain at 2k compared to the 4k for the upgrade to performance model.
I had planned to do the same as what you’ve described with getting a LR and purchasing the acceleration boost, but the price was only a $2k difference at that point so I drove both back to back and I honestly preferred the ride on the performance. You do have to be more careful with the wheels though…I bought a set of take-offs on eBay so I have two complete sets of OEM 21” uber’s so I can run a square setup so they can be rotated. I also plan to upsize the tires to 275/35-21 all around on the 9.5” wheels so that should help a bit with rim protection. Ride height is still plenty for what the car is as it clears parking stops with room to spare and I’ve yet to scape the nose on some pretty steep drives I frequent. If you haven’t driven a performance lately you might want to test drive one again…they’ve made some significant upgrades to the ride IMO.

Reactions: boones
I had planned to do the same as what you’ve described with getting a LR and purchasing the acceleration boost, but the price was only a $2k difference at that point so I drove both back to back and I honestly preferred the ride on the performance. You do have to be more careful with the wheels though…I bought a set of take-offs on eBay so I have two complete sets of OEM 21” uber’s so I can run a square setup so they can be rotated. I also plan to upsize the tires to 275/35-21 all around on the 9.5” wheels so that should help a bit with rim protection. Ride height is still plenty for what the car is as it clears parking stops with room to spare and I’ve yet to scape the nose on some pretty steep drives I frequent. If you haven’t driven a performance lately you might want to test drive one again…they’ve made some significant upgrades to the ride IMO.
That's a good way to go, get a performance but change the wheels/tires. It does bring the price up to around 6k. I'm kinda done with modding my cars, even wheels. I definitely did a lot of that on previous vehicles. I did an extended 2.5 day test drive of a 23 performance model and found the suspension was well controlled on smooth roads, but we have some really terrible potholes and broken pavement here in Denver and the ride was too harsh in the performance model. The 23 LR Y I drove on 19's (but for only 30 minutes) was more compliant. Also I know its less than 1 inch difference in ride height but for mountain use in deep snow I'd prefer the higher ground clearance. That can't be added easily to the P without modifying the suspension and risking warranty coverage.

Reactions: JezzaE
The upgrade cost is very reasonable at only 4k. The tough part is it comes with some upgrades that for some use cases/preferences are negatives. I'd like the extra power and brakes and would happily pay 4k for those, but would not want these things: the staggered and easily damaged 21 inch wheels with staggered tire sizes; the harsher ride; the lower ride height. Would love to be able to order a P with the better brakes, but without the 21s and with the LR suspension. That would be my ideal. The closest thing to that is an LR with acceleration boost which isn't a great bargain at 2k compared to the 4k for the upgrade to performance model.
Agreed. I can always paint my brake calipers red and add a carbon fiber spoiler for a couple hundred bucks, but I would not want any of those things you listed either. Not to mention, I believe the insurance premiums are higher as well. Would gladly pay TESLA $2k for a 3.5sec 0-60mph and would do the brake caliper paint job and spoiler myself w/o sacrificing ride height, ride quality, and the added cost to my insurance premiums.

I have noticed the ride softening up bit more now that temperatures have risen and the car has a few thousand miles on it.

Reactions: JezzaE
IMG_5814.jpeg

6/16/23 birthday, Fremont build MYLR. I have E in the 8th position of my VIN. Looks like 990/3D5?

My Model Y is an early March 23 edition from GigaTexas, complete with the 4D1 rear motor. 19-inch wheels - ;-)

The 4D1 motor in stock form feels more torquey to me and holds the curve at a higher RPM than my M3 with a 980 motor. This is per the butt dyno.

I just completed the data logging with Ingenext. They dynamically created the Ghost flash based on the data and we installed it on my MYLR. They noted in the data logging that the motor had the capacity for more power output than the 980 and they turned it ON. The test drive felt fantastic. Very strong. I don't have a dragy, but will have to find time with someone who does to do some testing.

I can 100% recommend it. This is my third "chip" from Ingenext since 2018 and they have top-notch service and support. If you were on the fence. Get off of it.

I will be traveling for a few weeks but will do my best to answer questions!

Best,

-Jim

Ingenext now lists the 4D1 motor as supported on their Ghost module. ;-)
-Jim

I have an 18 AWD M3 / 980 motor with Ghost as well as a 19 SR+ / 980 (now for sale) with the SR+ Module (+50hp). The new MY /4D1 with ghost definitely has a different feel. The power / torque curve seems to extend out further to me. Punching it at 70 feel like it hits harder than in the 3. I need to do some real testing and get some numbers.
-Jim

Car is great.
So far Ingenext Ghost not possible on this MY produced in Texas with 4D1. They are still trying to figure out if it will work.
Also interesting to note is that the Performance boost upgrade (~$2000) that was available in the past on non-performance MYs is not available on the configurator on tesla.c atm or in my phone app for my austin MYAWD. So what might that mean? You would think they would gladly take more of our money if they could unlock that without risk. I have no idea.

The acceleration boost feature for $2k is not available on the standard range Y AWD, just the LR Y AWD. I don't know why, but its one of the reasons I bought the LR. I wanted the P's acceleration, but not the wheels/tires/ride quality. LR Y with AB is as close as it gets. Standard range Y AWD is still a fast car, they all are.

I highlighted the quotes above as I was excited of the possibility of potentially having the Ghost upgrade on the 4D1 on the 4680 Standard Range MY but the latter quotes show that it still isn't possible yet through Ingenext😑.....Hopefully they'll figure it out in the near future.

My specs below:👇....don't know why it showed up like it was quoted?

2023 MY AWD 4680 w/HW4
Delivery: 07/10/23
Build: 07/23
Motor: 4D1
8th VIN: 7SAYGDEE3PA150884
Factory: Austin

Attachments

• 2023 MY 4680 4D1 Rear Motor.jpg
    2023 MY 4680 4D1 Rear Motor.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 125
Interesting. I have a 2023 MYLR Austin built (mid-June) and have confirmed the 4D1 placard on the motor. VIN 8th motor digit is "E".

Looking at the Ghost options described above, and the fact that the Ghost purchase page asks if you already bought Acceleration Boost, what do you get with Ghost without having the boost, versus buying the boost (they are roughly the same price)? Assuming buying both is yet again an improvement over the boost to more like P model levels?

Interesting. I have a 2023 MYLR Austin built (mid-June) and have confirmed the 4D1 placard on the motor. VIN 8th motor digit is "E".

Looking at the Ghost options described above, and the fact that the Ghost purchase page asks if you already bought Acceleration Boost, what do you get with Ghost without having the boost, versus buying the boost (they are roughly the same price)? Assuming buying both is yet again an improvement over the boost to more like P model levels?
The ghost just makes the car think it’s a P. You don’t get anything different if you had already purchased acceleration boost or not. I think they only ask you that because the module may be configured differently to take into consideration already having boost.

Went to the Tesla lot by me to look at motors on LRs. I confirmed with a rep all the Model Ys coming in are still coming from Fremont and the one I looked behind the wheel was indeed 990 =(. Seems like another batch of unicorns around June coming from Austin? There was 1 demo on the lot from Austin that might have had the 4d1 I didn't realize the code is lower on the newer motor. That had HW3 though.

We are very interested in trying a 4D1 drive unit in our Tesla Cobra EV race car because of the potential for better cooling. We currently run a 980 drive unit, but suffer from power degradation as stator temperatures rise. We have located a drive unit, but it does not come with HV cable. From photos, it looks like the cast-in-place connector uses a different cable than a standard Model 3/Y drive unit. Can anybody with a 4D1 drive unit poke their head under their car and take a snap of the part number of the cable? I don't think this is a restricted part, so I'm hoping I can buy one over the counter from a friendly Tesla Parts Dept. Thanks!