Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now there is a backlog of 10 months. That is at least 100,000 MYs. Why would Tesla give people more range than they need to? Just from a business standpoint.
To maintain that backlog and order rate. At the rate they are talking about increasing production, they'll chew that backlog up quickly. Its been a while since they added any range - bumping it up by 10 in a couple months should maintain that momentum...

To maintain that backlog and order rate. At the rate they are talking about increasing production, they'll chew that backlog up quickly. Its been a while since they added any range - bumping it up by 10 in a couple months should maintain that momentum...
I believe they would rather have a backlog of 1-2 months vs 10. Much better customer response since delivering early is only a few weeks, not a few months. Doesn't mess up plans based on lease expirations, vacations, etc. If they don't change anything spec wise people will continue to order.

First, you have over 18 months before your lease expires, so plenty of time to see when Fremont switches over to 4680. I am sure it will be well before then. If not, you can always order it for delivery to MA, get your temp tags from Tesla, then register it in AZ. A few others have done something similar.

I know @eric.freeman ordered and had his car delivered recently to the east coast, then 2 days later moved to AZ. So I am sure he had to do something similar
Definitely doable, but keep in mind that my title and registeration is in process from OH, from there I have to get an AZ title again, so it will be easier to order and drive your car in the same state

Yes, but east coast vins arrive 2 weeks before the car (unless it has been rejected by someone else and you are a backup). Not a month, but not 3 days either.
I ordered a MYP on Jan 18 and they just moved up the delivery date a month in the App to

Estimated Delivery: February 22 - March 08​

That's fast! This is for delivery in West Palm Beach. I assume the car is not coming from Austin? Also, do I understand I must pick it up within 3 days of delivery? I thought I could postpone a while. I ask because I was not planning on returning to WPB until March 21.

Thanks....

I ordered a MYP on Jan 18 and they just moved up the delivery date a month in the App to

That's fast! This is for delivery in West Palm Beach. I assume the car is not coming from Austin? Also, do I understand I must pick it up within 3 days of delivery? I thought I could postpone a while. I ask because I was not planning on returning to WPB until March 21.

Thanks....

You could postpone, you just lose the VIN and get put back in the queue. Though there is now a 90-120 day limit from order date that an order can be put on hold for. With an Jan 18th order date, you're within that window.

Thanks....

Howdy Boca neighbor. I ordered 1/15, have a window of 02/21-03/07 (2 week window, 2 weeks from now) so at least they are consistent. My delivery is Ft Lauderdale, though.

Your Y will be a Fremont build. You will see the digit in your VIN will be "F". But you will get the new 12V battery, Ryzen CPU and possibly rear laminated glass. Don't fret over the new battery. Also, who wants to be part the Austin assembly line QA while they tighten this and adjust that over the course of several weeks. Personally I would much rather an 'old' battery design than being first off the line from Austin.

Great info. Thanks! Mine is white with black seats. I wish I could have picked up at the new facility in Delray but they are only doing service there currently. I bought a condo in Boca in December and my parking space has a 120V 5-20 outlet which may be sufficient since my wife and I are retired and we will just top off at night. We'll see!

So it sounds like I'm going to have to jump on a plane in San Diego on very short notice. Not sure if I should "take delivery" from afar without a test drive....

Great info. Thanks! Mine is white with black seats. I wish I could have picked up at the new facility in Delray but they are only doing service there currently. I bought a condo in Boca in December and my parking space has a 120V 5-20 outlet which may be sufficient since my wife and I are retired and we will just top off at night. We'll see!

So it sounds like I'm going to have to jump on a plane in San Diego on very short notice. Not sure if I should "take delivery" from afar without a test drive....

Whatever happens, the risk is low. There is no 'being stuck' with this car. If you hate it, sell it for a nice profit (even accounting for fees, taxes, time spent).
We are very lucky to have the Delray service center the next town over, less than 10 miles away. Sweet!

Whatever happens, the risk is low. There is no 'being stuck' with this car. If you hate it, sell it for a nice profit (even accounting for fees, taxes, time spent).
We are very lucky to have the Delray service center the next town over, less than 10 miles away. Sweet!
Although for the four Teslas I've owned there was precious little service needed. Virtually none. So not sure how "Sweet!" it is to have service near as you'll never use it. My service center was, for years, a 115 mile drive, which I never made. THAT'S sweet!

Thanks....
If you don't have a VIN yet, that date window can still change so no reason to start worrying, yet. Once you accept a VIN then you will be contacted to schedule a delivery date. From the first available time slot, they will give you a choice of 3 days to schedule. Once you accept a scheduled slot, that is your time to pickup. You can call and try to delay by a day or two but YMMV. Being on the each coast, your 3 day delivery window will be around 2 weeks after you receive your VIN since once built, the car has to be shipped from Fremont. As stated above, will not be from Austin.

East coast orders tend to get vins a week or two before delivery since the car has to be shipped across the country after it is built. You would have a week o rove for your 3 day delivery window.
If I actually have to pick up my next MY in MA and not in AZ (for the 4680 cells among other reasons) it would not be a problem. I'd simply order the car for an approximate July delivery. I'm on the Cape from June through mid-October. Can't imagine a scheduling issue that I couldn't deal with.

Rich

If you don't have a VIN yet, that date window can still change so no reason to start worrying, yet. Once you accept a VIN then you will be contacted to schedule a delivery date. From the first available time slot, they will give you a choice of 3 days to schedule. Once you accept a scheduled slot, that is your time to pickup. You can call and try to delay by a day or two but YMMV. Being on the each coast, your 3 day delivery window will be around 2 weeks after you receive your VIN since once built, the car has to be shipped from Fremont. As stated above, will not be from Austin.
I have a MYP order that indicates Mar 14-30 delivery window. I want to delay until it’s confirmed to come from Austin. When will I be given the option to delay/hold delivery?

If I can’t get MYP from Austin, even with delays, and if Tesla cancels the order because I prefer to delay, I also have a MYLR on order with EDD in July. That one should come from Austin.

I have a MYP order that indicates Mar 14-30 delivery window. I want to delay until it’s confirmed to come from Austin. When will I be given the option to delay/hold delivery?

If I can’t get MYP from Austin, even with delays, and if Tesla cancels the order because I prefer to delay, I also have a MYLR on order with EDD in July. That one should come from Austin.
You can call them up and ask them to put your order on hold. Lately they've only been doing so for 1 month... but that's at least one month. Once you do get assigned a VIN I think* you can reject the VIN if you don't want it... I believe most people are allowed to reject a VIN at least once. After that they may assign you a second VIN the next day, it may be another week or two. This is just what I've read mind you.

The other thing you can do, the obvious thing, is just cancel your order if they say 'take it or leave it'. Yeah, you'll eat your $250 deposit, but at least then you'll go to the back of the line. I'd consider doing so myself, but I'll need to pay $1k more and, if I end up having to wait another 3+ months, interest rates will likely rise by another 0.5-1%.

I addition to what @Stook02ss said, there is no indication yet that Austin will, or will not, be making the MYP.

Right now, it’s about a 6 week lead on the MYP and I don’t think Tesla wants the lead time much less then that.