Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Heat stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are Gen 3 sensors for the heat that are out/coming out. And those should hopefully fix the no heat issue. The S/W update was to fool the computer, but the computer seems to figure that out and once temps go up and then drop again - you guessed it - no heat... My buddy up here has had his Y fixed several times for this and that was the last update from the Tech. It works in temps down to around +30F, but the other day it was single digits and now no heat...

AC0DEDDA-D90D-4EF2-9B3B-EA4802CC0D1E.png
AC0DEDDA-D90D-4EF2-9B3B-EA4802CC0D1E.png So my car is at the Milford, CT service center for the heat issue. With the mobile app the earliest appointment was January 20, but I called the center and they said to drop it off immediately since it was unacceptable to have no heat. In the mean time I’m driving at S85d with free Superchargering so I can’t complain.

Also to answer the window question. The service technician said there will be a firmware update which will correct the app from receiving notifications that windows have been left down.

Here is the list of parts they ordered:

Below is the list of parts they ordered for my Tesla Y that has the same issue, i.e. no heat. It has 1020 miles on it - got it in October. The service tech at the center told me in some cases they need to replace the battery (??)

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered

1. Hose, Powertrain Supply
Part #: 1504721-00-B
Order Date: December 30, 2020

2. Supermanifold Assembly
Part #: 1547595-00-C

3. Hose, Chiller to Battery, LHD
Part #: 1501293-00-B

4. ACOUSTIC BLANKET, AC COMPRESSOR
Part #: 1502213-00-B

5. AC Compressor, Model Y
Part #: 1501256-00-I

You may review, modify, or check the status of your appointment at anytime on your Tesla app. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for being a Tesla customer.

Got my MY in July 2020. The AC worked great. Heated seats are fantastic and saved me from a terrible Santa trip. 12/22-Drove from Chicago to NE Indiana. Everything worked great. Supercharged in Angola to get back to Chicago and one other location on the way. Towards the end of the return trip heat was light. Carried food from my sister to my mom and food from my mom to my sister.
12/23-drove to Iowa to drop off food from mom and sister to other sister. Supercharged in Davenport Iowa and the heat was minimal. Heated seats were helpful. By Des Moines, tried setting heat to 72 and up to HI with no temp change. Had coat on and extra sweater covering my legs. Arrived shivering. Dropped off food and had some hot tea and got back in to drive home. Heat started working a little, but quit working on the drive home.
12/29- had to drive to Ohare airport to pick up my daughter and heat didn’t do anything. Heated seats helped. The windshield started to fog up and the front defrost worked. So that’s what we did, run the defrost to warm up the car. Turn off after uncomfortably warm and it kept the car warm for 5-10 minutes. The heat was set to 80 and did nothing but blow lukewarm air. Tried auto, manual, fresh air, recirculate, 70, 75, 80 and nothing changed.
I booked the earliest appointment for Jan 26 at Westmont.

Got my MY in July 2020. The AC worked great. Heated seats are fantastic and saved me from a terrible Santa trip. 12/22-Drove from Chicago to NE Indiana. Everything worked great. Supercharged in Angola to get back to Chicago and one other location on the way. Towards the end of the return trip heat was light. Carried food from my sister to my mom and food from my mom to my sister.
12/23-drove to Iowa to drop off food from mom and sister to other sister. Supercharged in Davenport Iowa and the heat was minimal. Heated seats were helpful. By Des Moines, tried setting heat to 72 and up to HI with no temp change. Had coat on and extra sweater covering my legs. Arrived shivering. Dropped off food and had some hot tea and got back in to drive home. Heat started working a little, but quit working on the drive home.
12/29- had to drive to Ohare airport to pick up my daughter and heat didn’t do anything. Heated seats helped. The windshield started to fog up and the front defrost worked. So that’s what we did, run the defrost to warm up the car. Turn off after uncomfortably warm and it kept the car warm for 5-10 minutes. The heat was set to 80 and did nothing but blow lukewarm air. Tried auto, manual, fresh air, recirculate, 70, 75, 80 and nothing changed.
I booked the earliest appointment for Jan 26 at Westmont.
If the heat does not work in Midwestern winter they have to help you in less than 27 days. Car will be hard to use without heat.

If the heat does not work in Midwestern winter they have to help you in less than 27 days. Car will be hard to use without heat.

I hope this is totally wrong. Defrost in cars is totally dependent on heat. No defrost=dangerous driving, not legally road worthy.

Tesla needs to resolve this issue quickly. Way too many folk reporting this failure.

That said, I'm thinking of starting a thread for those that still HAVE heat. It would be interesting to see the ratio, heat/no heat.

Hmm...maybe a poll? Anyone???

I hope this is totally wrong. Defrost in cars is totally dependent on heat. No defrost=dangerous driving, not legally road worthy.

Tesla needs to resolve this issue quickly. Way too many folk reporting this failure.

That said, I'm thinking of starting a thread for those that still HAVE heat. It would be interesting to see the ratio, heat/no heat.

Hmm...maybe a poll? Anyone???

I got the update that "fixed" it almost 5 weeks ago and mine has been working ever since. Our weather has been all over the place too in those 5 weeks too, from near 0F up to near 60 and back to near 0.

Has anyone else's continued to work after the update?

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr. Michael
I got the update that "fixed" it almost 5 weeks ago and mine has been working ever since. Our weather has been all over the place too in those 5 weeks too, from near 0F up to near 60 and back to near 0.

Has anyone else's continued to work after the update?
My sister's Y in Maine lost heat about 5 weeks ago also. The next day she got the software update that fixed it.
It has been working ever since.

Hope mine that's coming in doesn't do this - I thought this was a fixed issue. I live in Alaska - glad winter hasn't set it in Chicago yet, but we are two months into winter here... No defrost or heat is life threatening here.

Have mine for a week.
On the way home, underbody shroud fell off due to missing bolts.
Heat stopped working today
Bad start to my Research experience

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Have mine for a week.
On the way home, underbody shroud fell off due to missing bolts.
Heat stopped working today
Bad start to my Research experience

That sucks... My personal experience having had 33 prior new vehicles. Ones that start out bad end up being problematic. Tesla is a different company, so I don't have anecdotal evidence for that. (and other's have had some pretty serious issues and then had them without an issue for long periods of time - obviously they were not Ys)

I have waited for this car since Aug 1. It's bought - I'm paying on the loan, insured, but won't be delivered for another estimated 1-4 weeks - Although a fellow Alaskan has had their X siting in Tacoma since Dec. 8th and still doesn't have it...

Hope yours gets fixed soon.

I picked up VIN 26028 on July 28th, AC and HEAT are working as designed, in fact if I set the temp any higher than 74 degrees the cabin gets TOO WARM. Granted the coldest I have driven my Y has been 22 degrees, but the Heat Pump pumps out (pun intended) all the heat I could ever want.

Knock on wood.

I picked up VIN 26028 on July 28th, AC and HEAT are working as designed, in fact if I set the temp any higher than 74 degrees the cabin gets TOO WARM. Granted the coldest I have driven my Y has been 22 degrees, but the Heat Pump pumps out (pun intended) all the heat I could ever want.

Knock on wood.

6F and snowing here today... My Jeep has to be at 64F or it's an oven. Sounds like the Y is the same when it's working as designed. FWIW - My Alaskan acquaintances report it works at the temps you are describing, it's when they dip lower, especially below zero they start to have lots of issues. BUT that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with yours.

Soon I should be able to report on mine as my Y will be here in the coldest part of the Alaskan winter...

We seem to have several threads going on the topic. I wonder if a moderator could possibly combine them?

(This is what happens in ALL forums when members don't SEARCH first and join an already existing thread.)

It would be helpful if we could get some hard numbers on the % of heat failures. While there are many posters here, it's still difficult to determine the magnitude of the issue.

Of course, only ZERO failures is what we should expect from our $50k cars. Instead, we get infantile farting sounds.