Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y HEPA (Bio Defense Mode) is only available in China?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rob Mauer commented that the new 7-seat photos seem to show the new center console design. My _guess_ is that initial production of 7-seat and SR Model Y in the US will have the new center console and HEPA filter like MIC Model Y, with other variants to follow after old parts are exhausted.

Lot's of people is USA has taken delivery of Model Y 7 seat and none of them had HEPA filters.

anyone know if this is just a filter change? or is it a whole vent system thats updated?
Definitely not just a filter change.
The regular Model Y's cabin air intake looks like this (look at part on top left, ignore the circled part which shows the heat pump, I just googled this image). Note there are no filters there (the filters are in the cabin, just like the Model 3):
tesla-model-y-heat-pump-scaled.jpg

Tesla Model Y owner discovers new Heat Pump after frunk "teardown"
The new one looks to be twice as big and holds the filters:
nepgpwmr63961.jpg

There's a dual layer approach, carbon filters on top, HEPA on bottom:
model-y-hepa-filter-1.jpg

New Tesla Model Y HEPA Filter Pictures Show Layered Setup - TeslaNorth.com

Definitely not just a filter change.
The regular Model Y's cabin air intake looks like this (look at part on top left, ignore the circled part which shows the heat pump, I just googled this image). Note there are no filters there (the filters are in the cabin, just like the Model 3):
tesla-model-y-heat-pump-scaled.jpg

Tesla Model Y owner discovers new Heat Pump after frunk "teardown"
The new one looks to be twice as big and holds the filters:
nepgpwmr63961.jpg

There's a dual layer approach, carbon filters on top, HEPA on bottom:
model-y-hepa-filter-1.jpg

New Tesla Model Y HEPA Filter Pictures Show Layered Setup - TeslaNorth.com

thanks. now i want it... im targeting q2/summer to pick up. hopefully they add it by then.

Rob Mauer commented that the new 7-seat photos seem to show the new center console design. My _guess_ is that initial production of 7-seat and SR Model Y in the US will have the new center console and HEPA filter like MIC Model Y, with other variants to follow after old parts are exhausted.
Is there an easy way to check on new deliveries to see if it's been added but not shared? I think on the model X it requires pulling out the frunk which is not something most people would likely do.

One must not assume because it is available overseas it will work its way over here. China is on another level when it comes to air pollution/odors compared to most other places in the world so yes a good option. Many european cars are outfitted differently than north american versions. Here I cannot see the necessity for such an elaborate filter not to mention you will complain when you order the new replacement cartridges that it costs a few hundered every time. Do not forget, the finer the filter the quicker it plugs and the quicker it affects the entire ventilation efficiency. Bio defense, an interesting choice of words that sounds like a must have but honestly not really required. Was not long ago there was no filter, then cabin filter were added, now bio defense mode? It's a car, it lives outdoors, it is not air tight, we open windows and doors. Not saying hepa is not good, on the contrary however in a car I personally think it is overkill. On a vacuum cleaner spewing dust particles all over the place they are a great addition.

• Informative
Reactions: ferdboyce
Probably gonna buy these bad boys instead

https://amzn.to/3b7Ceho

Not a good choice, Do a little searching on this and you will find out the extra fine filtartion hurts the overall system as air flow is now too restricted for proper air flow. No differant than people who install those super fine filters in their home furnace, not a good choice for the same reasons.

One must not assume because it is available overseas it will work its way over here. China is on another level when it comes to air pollution/odors compared to most other places in the world so yes a good option. Many european cars are outfitted differently than north american versions. Here I cannot see the necessity for such an elaborate filter not to mention you will complain when you order the new replacement cartridges that it costs a few hundered every time. Do not forget, the finer the filter the quicker it plugs and the quicker it affects the entire ventilation efficiency. Bio defense, an interesting choice of words that sounds like a must have but honestly not really required. Was not long ago there was no filter, then cabin filter were added, now bio defense mode? It's a car, it lives outdoors, it is not air tight, we open windows and doors. Not saying hepa is not good, on the contrary however in a car I personally think it is overkill. On a vacuum cleaner spewing dust particles all over the place they are a great addition.

i guess u dont live on the west coast.
For anyone living on the west coast (and Australia), this is definitely a very attractive feature and will be a necessity going forward.

back in the good old days, when cars didnt have filters, we didnt have the whole coast burning up on a regular basis.

Reactions: preilly44

Yes, I'd love to know why people feel this is a "must have" feature. I've never had it in any of my cars and don't see what the problem is that would cause me to wait for this to be in the Model Y before I make a purchase. Yes, we experience wildfires and smog where I live -- no, I've never had a problem with either of these that a regular cabin air filter couldn't handle.